This is the Message Centre for Hypatia

A Toast to a Retiring Librarian

Post 1

Hypatia

Found this in the LA Times. It is about a librarian in Mississippi who has done his duty and has finally had enough. Salud!

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-na-librarian23sep23,1,6958660.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage

Post 2

Leo

smiley - wow But it didn't actually mention his great accomplishments. I was waiting to hear about 'em. Of course, you're bound to say that lasting 30 years in that job is his biggest... smiley - laugh Where d'you supposed he'll go?

Post 3

Hypatia

Did you read all 6 pages of the article? He's getting married. And his literacy programs are accomplishment enough. smiley - smileysmiley - book

Post 4

Leo

Oh, 6 pages?smiley - yikes I only read the first, I guess. smiley - run

Post 5

Wilma Neanderthal

Hypatia, can you invite him on to hootoo? I'd love to cyber shake his hand.

I wonder if he has a good smellfungus story too smiley - winkeye

Post 6

healingmagichands

Bravo for Wise. Hope his life is good in retirement. I read the whole article. The only thing that bugged me was on the first page, where they talked about people in line at the store or bank asking him to read stuff to them, telling the same lie "I forgot my glasses." Well, I can't tell you how often I have had to ask that question in the bank or the store because, well, I forgot my glasses. And it isn't a lie, and I definitely know how to read. Other than that, illiteracy is rife and a terrible thing to have so rampant in this society with "No Child left behind."

Post 7

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

I haven't had time to read all of that, but he sounds like a fantastic man and a credit to our profession. He deserves to have a happy, relaxing retirement.

Post 8

LL Waz

smiley - yikes thought it was you retiring, for a bit there Hyp. Which couldn't be.

I knew a guy who went to adult literacy classes for two years to improve his spelling.

One reason was that he was too embarassed to accept an offered promotion at work that would involve filling in worksheets.

The other was that he cut a deal with his teenage kids. His son wasn't doing well at school and was saying that if his Dad did ok without much education so could he. His daughter was doing well, and he wanted to keep it that way. So the deal was that he stuck it out at his classes and they did their homework.

He deserved a lot of respect. It wasn't easy for him, especially with most of the class being special needs young adults. He did it with good grace and took it seriously.

Post 9

Xantief

Mr Wise fought the good fight. One hopes his successors do him justice.

Post 10

healingmagichands

My mother does literacy tutoring here. She has tutored several people to the point where they got their GEDs. Keeps her young at 78. We have a friend who was illiterate until the contractor he worked for wanted to make him a foreman. When the company found out he could not read they paid for literacy tutoring and also gave him a bonus when he could read and made him foreman in the meantime. Quite a lot nicer thing than the chicken place that fired the one who couldn't read. Very short sighted of them.

Post 11

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

Being a Librarian seems to be a stressfull job....................smiley - erm

Post 12

No, it's not. Never ever. smiley - tongueout

It's stressful and rewarding, exciting and boring, all at the same time.

Post 13

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

Right smiley - erm

I was wondering what so of job would you do if you wer'nt do the job your doing alreadysmiley - smiley

Post 14

I really have no idea. I think most people who work in libraries for more than a couple of years find that they can't imagine doing anything else. You just *are* a librarian. Which is a scary thought! smiley - laugh

Post 15

Xantief

Back in my near-destitute studio-apartment days in Munich, I practically lived at the local (English language; US Army) library.
I became acquainted with the whole of the sci-fi section.

I would sit in 'my' armchair, by a window, sometimes reading by sunset's illumination.

The smell of a library is like no other...it captivates the soul, at its own level.

Alas, to dream in a library and to work in one are incongruent for me.

Post 16

Hypatia

I wish I was the one retiring, Waz. smiley - envy I'm too poor to retire at the moment.

Libraries do have a way of getting under your skin. But so much of my job is general administration that I don't get to be an actual librarian very often.

Post 17

jazzme

That happened to me in Local Government - I advanced to the stage where I doing all admin and didn't even have a drawing board. I got early retirement and set up in practice on my own when I went on to do 20 years of engineering design as a consultant. Drawing board and computer kept me very happy and was much more lucrative. And the biggest job I ever did was when I was a consultant.

Post 18

Hypatia

RJR, all of the jobs I can think of that I'd like to do if I wasn't a librarian are so impractical as to make them impossibilities.

Jazz, I don't think I'm qualified to be a consultant. It would be nice to be able to work from home at something. But I can't imagine what that would be. Until my mortgage is paid off, I'll need a dependable income. As much as I'd like for it to be otherwise, it looks like I'll need to work until full retirement age, which is another 8.5 years.

Post 19

Researcher 198131

My ideal job would be to sit and paint all day and drink tea. I've yet to find someone who'll pay me to do that. smiley - sadface

smiley - elf

Post 20

Gingersnapper+Keeper of the Cookie Jar and Stuff and Nonsense

So interesting..I read every last word..I hope he will really enjoy Life,with a capital L..!!.............. smiley - bubbly ... .. .

Key: Complain about this post