A Conversation for The Answer To The Ultimate Question Of Life, The Universe, And Everything

my views on L,U+E

Post 21

thankyou for making a simple door very happy

OK I give up this stupid illusion stuff.

In truth, the universe is obviously completely real. But we really know very little about it. I mean, compared to what we knew a few centuries ago - we've made great progress. But the universe is incomprehensibly vast. As Douglas Adams (rip) observed, if a single person could fully comprehend the entirity and vastness of the universe, their brain would explode.

The most important things to do in life are:
a> to have as much fun as possible and
b> to make sure that those who follow you have as much fun as possible.

In order to achieve the latter, we need to put more money into space exploration and development, because we are killing our planet. We can reduce the rate at which she dies, but she will still die eventually. The ultimate question is: "at the current rate of resource consumption and space science development, will we be ready when the day comes?"

my views on L,U+E

Post 22

Researcher 200930

In truth, I cannot find any proof that the universe is truely real.
Progress is measured by many things, you may say we are killing this planet, (is this progress?).
Do we have the right to look to our future in space to lay waste to other environments?
The question to life the universe and eveything may appear to be a stupid illusionary question, but, the basis is that everything we do has wide connections on everything we come in contact with.
The question and answer may not be compatable only because we are not ready to face that we are on the wrong path.
This was the real story behind the HHGTTG.
You can visit many places, you may think you know the universe, but visitors do not stay but, view and leave.

my views on L,U+E

Post 23

there was no "real story" behind H2g2. A couple of guys from the BBC thought of it down the pub.

The universe is real. Even if it isn't made of atoms and molecules, which it is, it still must be real because I exist. You exist. You cannot deny that you exist. There's your proof.

We have the right to do whatever the hell we want to other environments, what are you a puritan?

my views on L,U+E

Post 24

Researcher 200930

Every story is based on a logic that people can understand the meaning of that story. Although a author creates a fictitional event for that to sell it must have a link to perceived reality.
The images shown in the book are a caricature of real life.

How can we be certain that the universe is real and not just a tale made up by two guys down the pub?

I do not deny that I exist but everything else (including this conversation may be a figment of my imagination).

Once we loose the ability to live in harmony with our world we are ultimately comitting suicide. The rights we have are based on a balance with us and nature.

I'm not a puritan just a realist,

love and peace

my views on L,U+E

Post 25

twinsouls

I'm sorry guys, but there's something about this 42 stuff that seems to be forgotten... OK, 42 being the ultimate definitive ANSWER to Life, Universe and Everything... WHAT THE HECK IS THE QUESTION????

Wasn't Earth designed exactly for this, to calculate the Definitive Ultimate Question 42 was the answer of? How can we even discuss the answer if we don't know what it's the answer to?

My personal opinion, that's shared by me too. smiley - smiley

twinsouls

my views on L,U+E

Post 26

you sound a touch saner than the Puritan guy, I'll answer your point.

Possible questions
"how many licks does it take to get to the centre of a lolipop?"
"what is 6 x 7?"
"How old is my Dad?"
"What is the ultimate answer?"
"What is Bush's IQ?"

my views on L,U+E

Post 27

Neel

Could you explain how did you measure the distance between 0 and 1; and consider it "finite"?

my views on L,U+E

Post 28

why do faerie folk from the planet Zorg keep interrupting this conversation?

How's that for an ultimate question

my views on L,U+E

Post 29

maduin

Yeah, I think the real issue is about what the universe actually matters to us. So we can theorise that the arrangement of atoms into certain proteins on an obscure planet somewhere is pointless and not really real(!) in any way that matters but then we fall in love with one of these protein structures that just happens to be another human. I notice that you suddenly backtracked from your "everything is an illusion stance" when your wealth was under threat.

The problem is that a philosophical dualism where the soul and flesh are completely separated is untenable and ridiculous. The matrix with which we create our own universe is in fact a part of the real universe!

my views on L,U+E

Post 30

you said...
"So we can theorise that the arrangement of atoms into certain proteins on an obscure planet somewhere is pointless and not really real(!)"...

which probably means...
"Science proves that through a series of stages simple electrically charged molecules evolved into human beings over billions of years, which seems difficult to get one's head around"...

which is true but hey, the illusion stuff came from watching the Matrix and this is the real stuff now. The "soul" can be defined as the state of self-awareness which we are all in - or consciousness - which may well be accounted for by the immense complexity of the quantum structures in the brain. There is a real universe, we are absolutely part of it, and there is nothing paranormal or supernatural about the soul, so if that's what you meant, you're right.

my views on L,U+E

Post 31

Ztik, the god of dark and shadowy things.

On the subject of the finite mind, infinite knowledge thing. The fatal flaw in the reasoning of most of the posts is the assumption that both things (mind and knowledge) are the same basic form of existence. The mind is matter and energy; knowledge is an indefinite concept with no incarnation in real space. Since it technically doesn't exist physically, it takes up no space. That's how it can exist in an infinite amount in a finite container. This argument may have already been made; I only read the first 10 or so posts.

my views on L,U+E

Post 32

Knowledge in a physical sense is just the arrangement of quantum networks inside the brain. The brain is the mind. So there.

Let's have some more funny ideas about the ultimate question. How many pretzels does it take to kill Dubya?

my views on L,U+E

Post 33

Researcher 200930

sorry to but in, but someone from the higher level has contacted me and refuses to contribute to your inane dribble until you start again having meaningful conversation.
The truth is illusion, but only if you believe that illusion may be a part of perceived perception. The universe is within life and everything revolves around the spiritual inspiration.
Why do you look to make it a joke?

my views on L,U+E

Post 34

Spoadface

"Hawkwind prior to Douglas maintained that you (the individual) is the centre of the universe. All that you see and all that you create and everytrhing under the sun is in tune but the sun is........Sorry I go lost, the summers evening calls and my universe needs energy. "

sorry to be picky, but that was pink floyd, not hawkwind smiley - smiley

my views on L,U+E

Post 35

For crying out loud, Researcher 200930. You started off badly; "someone from the higher level has contacted me", sank even lower; "everything revolves around the spiritual inspiration" and finished with hypocrisy; "Why do you look to make it a joke?".

It's about time people started looking at life as what it is - a rare but basically pointless phenomenon. Darwin had the right idea, Douglas Adams got the message, and Richard Dawkins broadcasts it. Look at the bigger picture.

my views on L,U+E

Post 36

Researcher 216547

0.3 recurring cannot be equal to 1/3 as 3 x 0.3 recurring is 0.9 recurring and not 1. 3 x 1/3 = 1, 3 x 0.333333333333 = 0.999999999999

my views on L,U+E

Post 37

Researcher 200930

hi guys, sorry you can't understand. But hey thats your problem.
Pink Floyd built a wall just to knock it down, Hawkwind said we took the wrong step years ago and there you have the story of h2g2. If you are not going to look deeper into what I'm writing I may have to keep on till you do. You see i'm on speaking terms with the big mans cat.

my views on L,U+E

Post 38

My esteemed friends think you are a moron, but as it would be against the House Rules for me to directly express my own opinion of you and your own brand of "intellect".

It would be easier to look "deeper" into what you are writing if you actually used proper punctuation and grammar.

in recapitulation, and conclusion, just go away please.

my views on L,U+E

Post 39

Researcher 200930

Is, In recapitulation and conclusion, just go away. proper grammer?
Although the ideas of L,U+E maybe articulated within a gramatical correctness,is not worrying that you base the boundaries of intellect on how you speak (or write)not what you say, can you not accept that although marvin had the brain of a planet he ended up parking cars, does this not tell you anything? A hitchiker gathers knowledge as he (she) travels there own universe, everything you see and all that you do is interactive and I'm pleased I've touched your life,

love and peace

my views on L,U+E

Post 40

Do you get kicks out of p***ing me off?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more