A Conversation for Salad Recipes

A salad question

Post 1

CuriousWolf

Though I do not have any very good sald recipes, I do have an interesting (well, interesting to me at least) salad question which is this. . . Can any one tell me a good recipe for a sald or some other apetizer that would go well with an Asian stir fry dish? The sauce on the stir fry will be a honey and ginger soy sauce. Please, if you know of a good one, I would much apprecaite your reply.

A salad question

Post 2

Friar

I have a pretty good one:

Use romaine lettuce, cucumbers, green onions, crispy noodles, walnuts and sunflower seeds. dress the salad with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt pepper and a spoonful of sugar (which is tricky to add to a bowl unless you have a hand blender, so it's better to add it a very little at a time)

If you have fresh ginger you could shave some on top of the salad, or mix the shaved ginger with the walnuts, seeds and some soft cheese (like goat cheese) and sprinkle this mixture above the already dressed salad.
It's not as sweet as the entree, but the cucumber (which should have the seeds removed and kept very cold until the moment of truth) will make the salad very fresh tasting and compliment the hartiness of the stir fry a bit.
Hope all goes well (be sure to let me know if you tried it!!!, well if you tried it and LIKED it smiley - smiley )

A salad question

Post 3

White Hart

If I was doing something along these lines I would probably make a salad with crisp lettuce (romaine, cos or little gem), spring onion, cucumber, chopped fresh coriander and maybe some grated carrot or radishes (and baby turnips also work surprisingly well here). For the dressing I would use the juice of a lime (if you don't have a lime use lemon juice and a couple of finely chopped lime leaves), Thai fish sauce and a little bit of sesame oil, seasoned with salt, pepper, about a teaspoon of sugar, a little grated ginger and some chopped fresh chilli or a crumbed dried chilli. Put all this in a little jar and give it a good shake before adding it to the salad. If you want less of a punch to the dressing leave out the chilli.

If you want to work this up into a main dish you could add some noodles as the Friar said, or this works very well with leftover roast beef or pork diced and tossed with the other ingredients and dressing.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more