A Conversation for The h2g2 Doctor Who Group

Doctor Who

Post 2801

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Compare and contrast with this, for reference.

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/thelondonpaper/celebrity/celeb-news/new-doctor-who-matt-smith-reveals-costume?image=1

Doctor Who

Post 2802

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

>Ooh, does a bit doesn't it!<

I think so. smiley - winkeye

Doctor Who

Post 2803

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

VS: It's pretty obvious that RTD is a BIG fan of George Lucas' films, judging by how much he's nicked

Doctor Who

Post 2804

eloisa

Not sure the fingers are long enough, he's gotsmiley - aliensmilehands!

Doctor Who

Post 2805

Bright Blue Shorts

"From the end of The Shakespeare Code when Queen Elizabeth I arrives and, much to the Doctor's surprise, orders her guards to catch the Doctor and Martha."

Actually it was the other part of the tie-up I was looking for. What did they tie that up with in Part 1?

Doctor Who

Post 2806

BookLoverL

It was a comment he made in the first bit when he'd just arrived on the Ood planet.

Doctor Who

Post 2807

IctoanAWEWawi

Just remembered what I wanted to ask.
When Wilf gets his image of the Master right at the start and turns to see a spotlight on the church tower, what is the image in the spotlight?
If you watch it appears to be more of a projected moving image than just a plain spotlight.

Doctor Who

Post 2808

Mister Matty

>Also, since when did everyone in Britain hang on every word of the US President anyway? Let alone discuss his forthcoming speeches at the burger van. Just my 2cents tardis

Aye, that was daft but it was RTD's attempt to crowbar contemporary references into an episode. Two big 2009 stories have been the worldwide recession and Obama's presidency and since there have only been three Who episodes this year that's been less time for RTD to slip them in there so he goes with a bit of an unsubtle double-reference in the Christmas episode.

As for "End of Time Part One" I thought the first ten minutes or so were pretty awful and was expecting the traditional Christmas Who episode: silly, sub-par, too fond of spectacle. However, from the Master's scene in the junkyard onwards it actually became both highly-engaging and utterly bonkers. Someone elseweb pointed-out that it was one of the oddest pieces of primetime family Christmas Day entertainment the BBC have ever show.

Doctor Who

Post 2809

Mister Matty

>RTD's parting gift to Moffat is a completely screwed up timeline. Like the history of Doctor Who doesn't have enough plot holes already. Thanks Russ, you

I think the opposite: that RTD will essentially put everything back to "normal" for Moffat.

I don't hold with the idea that RTD has or had any kind of "plan" for the series beyond each individual season; he has a history of misdirection when it comes to what he says he's going to do with the series and I suspect any claims about a plot-arc for Wilf are just that. RTD is a classic case of a writer who drops characters or ideas into a story and then sometimes comes back to them and expands them out later on (see also: Donna, The Shadow Proclamation).

Doctor Who

Post 2810

IctoanAWEWawi

"I think the opposite: that RTD will essentially put everything back to "normal" for Moffat."

Same here - and it fits with some of what RTD has said. I don't think it is a specific plot arc that informs and influences each episode within it - but I do think he had the start and end in place as he says. Maybe not all the specifics but what he wanted to end on. And I think the above is just that.

Doctor Who

Post 2811

Taff Agent of kaos

20 pointless minutes of shmaltz, saying good bye and still no answer to the original question

what is causing the ood to accelerate????

why did they have a star bug as well???

smiley - bat

Doctor Who

Post 2812

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Still in one line I think I am going to like Matt Smith's Doctor....

"And i'm still not ginger!" (great little smile).....

FB

Doctor Who

Post 2813

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

So time lines didn't go back to normal then. Liked Tennants suggestion on Confidential for Wee Jimmy Krankie as an alternative casting to Timothy Dalton. On the whole, wasn't disappointed by that one, mainly 'cos I was expecting it to be even more schmaltzy than it actually was. Only real let down was when the Tardis was crashing at the end (would have liked to see the chameleon circuit burst into life and change the Tardis into a bowl of petunias followed by a sperm whale, but that's just me). smiley - tardis

Doctor Who

Post 2814

Alfster

Taff: totally agree.

Ood...eh? No explanation.

The 'goodbyes' they were OK as they were but un-neccessary...no other Dr has had to do that.

Martha/'Ricky' - waste of time.

Cap'n Jack & Russel Tovey...the gay bit...in the Cantina (Lucas WILL be sueing) I'll just about forgive that one.

Rose - Not bad. But how come the Dr didn't know what year it ewas...he landed at the right place just as they were going past.

Jessica Hynes as the 'granddaughter' was the one that got me actually for various reasons.

The Donna wedding...nice for Wilf...but once again in this world a waster gets to be rich beyond there dreams from the actions of others...and cheating too boot.

The Dr saying he doesn't want to go...tart...the Chris Ecclestone Dr just took it on the chin but RTD after all these years had to crank that emotional part.

And now in COnfidential we have Julie whatever saying how important it is that the Dr says goodbye to the companions for RTDs tenure as its so important. Grow some balls...no ther Dr has done that...it diminishes Tennants Dr...906years old and he suddenly gets e.m.t.i.o.n.a.l.

Oh..and this regeneration was exactly the same as the Chris Ecclestone one. Also, the Matt Smith Dr seems to have just snapped straight into the moment and is not thrown off by anything. And Yet Tennants Dr was in bed for ages after his regeneration...tart of a Dr...sums up RTDs tenure smiley - tongueincheek

Doctor Who

Post 2815

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

what can I say,

The conclusion of Part One wasn't as good as it could have been but after that, the Dr's 'death' was very well done.

Hands up who didn't see the Deux Ex Machina coming

The whole conclusion was a bit pants IMO

But the whole Pre death/visiting companions/saying goodbye to Wilf was brilliant, fantastically acted by David Tennant and Bernard Cribbins.

So we still haven't really got a conclusion to the Time War (See first comment)

Didn't see it being Wilf that knocked four times.

Ahhhh, Jack and Midshipman Frame got together (There's gonna be some angry Jack/Ianto shippers out there)

I think I blubbed the most over Jessica Hynes character and Wilf's final goodbye

So questions left over

Was Timothy Dalton Rassilon?

Was that female Timelord/Wilf's vision Romana?

Mickey and Martha WTF??? I thought she married Tom, or was that an AU Mickey and Martha?

I loved the Doctor giving Donna that lottery ticket and borrowing the money from Donna's Dad.

All in all, it was a lot better than part one.

Oh, one more thought, do you think anyone will show this to George Lucas? At least RTD admitted, kind of, that the battle sequence was based on Star Wars

3Dots: I had that Deja Vu feeling about the bar too

Is anyone going to start a campagn to give Bernard Cribbins a BAFTA, he bloody deserves one for his performance as Wilf

Doctor Who

Post 2816

Alfster

Actually, watching the version of the 'I don't want to go' version recorded...it really shows a weak Dr. Why not have some balls and go

'Right, here we go again.'
'I did what I thought was right.'
'Let's see how the next guy does.'
'I've had a good life.'
'The Dr is dead...long live the Dr.'

But no...after 10(?) regenerations he suddenly becomes a weak tart.

smiley - popcorn

I would have loved to have seen Tennant as the Dr under the control of Moffatt i.e. imagining that Tennant had done no RTD scripts or series.

For me Tennants Dr was too shouty and full on. Good...but...

Also, the Matt Smith bit. RTD said Steve Moffatt wrote his dialogue but what the hell can he do when a Tardis is heading towards the Earth but be...Tennant Dr-like.

But all I can say is:

The Dr is dead...long live the Dr.

I am so excited for the next Dr.

Doctor Who

Post 2817

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Having just seen the preview of the next season.

I can't wait to see Matt Smith's tenure

Doctor Who

Post 2818

Alfster

Reefgirl

Yes, no reset...so does the whole world now remember sme world next to them. Can Moffat make the world forget about aliens and make it more traditional.

Agreed...the whole thing about the Master has been the drum beat and (a) it was the Timelords and (b) how Wilf attracted the Dr to release him.

Will we?

Lazy writing.

smiley - snork

Yes, in such a wonderfully human episode written by Paul Cornell a Dr Who Stalwart. Called Human Nature
'In a poll conducted by Doctor Who Magazine to mark the 35th anniversary of Doctor Who (#265, June 1998), Human Nature was voted the readership's favourite novel of the New Adventures series.'

@Was Timothy Dalton Rassilon?'

I can't see hw as Rassilon was dead way before The Dr was born..'watch 'The Five Doctors' and he was a moral Timelord like the Dalton one.

Doubt it...just some random Timelord who basically gave the Dr a gun to destroy the device that brought the Timelords through time but the Sonic-screw driver would have easily destroyed that since he frazzled a ship in the same episode.

I don't.

New Dr, new producer/writer.

No, he was good but not great. He did the job required...blame RTD...

Doctor Who

Post 2819

Whisky

Ahhh, 3Dots, we're going to have to agree to disagree...

Personally I thought there were moments of genius in that last episode...

Wilf's four knocks on the window and David T's acting over the following 30 seconds were absolutely brilliant...

And my eleven year old totally got the doctor saying goodbye to all his friends, maybe that's not a great recommendation for all of you, but if Doctor Who is managing to reduce kids to tears from time to time then it's doing its job.

Doctor Who

Post 2820

Alfster

Soap opera writing.

Key: Complain about this post