A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

This thread has been closed

25 August, 2005: Server Problems

Post 1

The H2G2 Editors

Apologies for the unexpected server downtime this morning - the whole of DNA, not just h2g2, has been affected by a problem that crept up on us unawares - technicians have been working on the problem for the past hour or so and the site does now look as though it's back up and running properly. Thanks for your patience.

Post 2

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

it is no fun playing patience alone!

Post 3

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Thank you. Wondered what it was. Here's some smiley - popcorn and smiley - crisps to help the Hamsters get their energy back, poor things.

smiley - musicalnote

Post 4

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit refreshing s feeder
"smiley - runsmiley - bussmiley - runsmiley - galaxy
The whole universe collapsed for two hours smiley - yikes.
2000 accounts were waiting to get in ! "

Post 5

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

smiley - ermsmiley - ok

Post 6

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

When are they going to get younger Hamsters?

Post 7

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

reefgirl are you volentering become hamster?

Post 8

Ivan the Terribly Average

Younger hamsters? Well, they just need a mummy hamster, a daddy hamster, some mood lighting, some romantic music, a good meal...

Post 9

IctoanAWEWawi

So is it just me that keeps having to refresh all the time due to the infamous 'Unknown Error' occurring? It is happening somewhat less than earlier, maybe just the servers delay in updating?

Post 10

Paully

No, that's not surprising at all. I'd expect that many people will be experiencing similar slowness of the service and occasional error messages for a little while yet.

Here's another update message from our technical team:

"Apologies to all for this morning's unscheduled downtime on this site. At about 0830 there was a major hardware failure which required the engineers to restore the site from the back-ups. Everything was up and running again from about 1115, however due to the nature of the hardware failure you may find that some pages don't load properly, or give an error message. Usually these problems should clear themselves within a few minutes. However please note that we may need to schedule some downtime on this site in order to properly resolve the issues. We will of course notify everyone whenever this is likely to be the case. Please also be assured that whenever an issue like this occurs we put all available effort into putting things right again as quickly as possible. "

So it looks as though the hampsters may very well still be getting mouth-to-mouth from the techies at the moment!

Paully

Post 11

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Thanks Eds.smiley - biggrinand a very warm welcome back!smiley - ok

Just written an entry in Wordpad, now got to convert it to Guide MLsmiley - erm

smiley - cheers

Post 12

Pinwheel Pearl, GURU, Post Book Reviewer, Muse of Japanese Maples and Owlatron's Thundercat

smiley - ta to all of you! Keep up the good work, and give the hamsters a smiley - cuddle

Post 13

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on top
"And please keep reporting any service failure to < <./>/dna/hub/Feedback</.> > The Hampsters need to be fed with enough smiley - corncobs to run for 3000 accounts by four this afternoon! "

Post 14

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

I'm not having too many problems, at the moment

Post 15

Cal - interim high priest of the Church of the Holy Tail

famous last words that

Post 16

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

I know but I'm used to the Error Unknown, and Server Problems messages

Post 17

IctoanAWEWawi

Ta Eds, wasn't sure if it was owt worth mentioning.

(p.s. I just checked 'hampster' in an online dictionary, which (surprise) didn't find it and offered as an alternative 'whoremaster'. So, is DNA powered by hampsters, or whoremasters?)

Post 18

Ivan the Terribly Average

smiley - rofl

Post 19

Galigan

I don't think hamster has a 'p' in it.smiley - erm

Post 20

IctoanAWEWawi

it doesn't, but the PTBs always put one in. Not sure if it is an affectation, and in joke or incomp...no, it couldn;t be that!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more