A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

This thread has been closed

19 May, 2005: A Reminder of the House Rules

Post 41

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Pierce: AFAIK, US free speech is an explicitly protected right, with certain exceptions:

1) Libel/slander. You cannot do damage to an individual or group with false statements. I'm not so sure I agree with Jimster's assessment that these laws are tough in the US, though. The accuser must prove that the statements were false, that the speaker *knew* they were false, and that the accuser was harmed in some way as a result. The first part is easy. The other two are extremely difficult.

2) Incitement/hate speech. Even this has certain caveats... Nazis and Klansmen are free to demonstrate peaceably just like anyone else, they just can't advocate violence when they do.

3) Intellectual property.

4) Classified information

5) Decency laws, but these are primarily applied to broadcast media. The seven forbidden words, and such. Different cities may have decided to go beyond that, but it's never anything more than a local thing.

And that, as far as I know, is it. After that, anything goes. One thing I learned recently which I found interesting is that satire is explicitly protected as free speech under the law. How fun is that?

Post 42

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Felonious you really are intent on crowing about Hoo's ban everywhere aren't you.

smiley - sigh

Post 43

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

I certainly understand (And I accept that I might be wrong here) that the UK has considerably tougher Libel and Slander laws than the states.

As a result of this many cases are bought against people in British courts wherever possible.

I think that in the UK if you accuse someone of Slander or Libel then the defendent has to prove that what they said was true. In most places (as I understand it) it is as Blathers describes.

Post 44

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

I wrote something for the Post about Freedom of Speech and h2g2, so in the spirit of my specific right to shamelessly self-promote, here's a link A792812smiley - smiley

Post 45

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

'Felonious you really are intent on crowing about Hoo's ban everywhere aren't you.'

No, actually, I'm not. I'm commenting upon why the Eds felt it necessary to issue this warning. If I'd wanted to crow I would have mentioned names.

Post 46

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

many thanks, my friends. i will print & ponder thoroughly smiley - ok

smiley - pirate

Key: Complain about this post