A Conversation for Talking Point: Winning The Lottery!

Money can't buy happiness

Post 1

Chadsmoor Charlie

...but what it can buy is:
silk hankies (to mop up your tears)
top of the range equipment (to entertain you in your boredom)
the very finest foods (to comfort eat)
the very best champagne (to drown your sorrows)

Money can't buy happiness, but it also can't cause unhappiness. And if you're already unhappy, at least money can buy you comfort. But if you're already happy, how much better could life be with obscene piles of cash? How great will you feel about yourself when, instead of your usual slog through the working day, you volunteer your time and make someone else's life better?

Given the choice, I'd rather have money than not.

Charlie

Post 2

Scumbag

"Money can't buy you love, but it can rent you a close approximation."

Post 3

Mistdancer-X-sporadically coherent

Money can't buy happiness?????

Happiness for me would be...

Never having to use candles coz the electric ran out

Never having to live off beans on toast for a week so that the kids could eat

Never having a minor heart attack every time the bank statement arrived

Never seeing the word Overdrawn on said bank statement again

Being able to buy the kids shoes without cringing at the price

My hubby being able to tell his work to smiley - bleep themselves, and not be treated like s**t by people he's worked for for 24 years

Being able to set my parents up for the rest of their lives

Not being cold in winter

All simple things that some take for granted, but they mean a lot to me.
Yes, money could buy me happiness!! Anything that gives me more time with my family can only be a good thing!

BTW...none of this modest win stuff for me, I'm aiming for the triple rollover!!! If you're gonna win...Win Big smiley - biggrin

smiley - elf

Post 4

Shubunkin

I agree, it would nice to have enough where you don't have to worry if your pay is going to last to the end of the month, and if you want or need somrthing just to able to say yes I'll get it.

Post 5

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

However, money can be at the root of unhappiness, as in the case where my dad's family schismed once when his dad died and there were s**tfights over the legacy, and then a second time when his mum died (there were nine kids, alright) over the final split of the family home, which by this time was worth a lot of money (and unfrrotunately therefore worth losing your siblings over). So many of my cousins and me and my siblings lost each other very early in life because of squabbles over lots of money. Prior to this we were a very happy, close family who would meet up every month or so for a family picnic or BBQ. At one stage there were about five families living in an old mansion which my grandad had converted into large self-contained apartments for his kids and their families.

Nah, I have seen far too much unhappiness brought about my money (or perhaps more specifically through greed) to say it will never give you unhappiness.

However, this does not necessarily mean it will only give you unhappiness. I just don't believe a large sum of money will only give you happiness either.

I have also seen family and fair-weather friends crawl out of the woodwork for a friend who won a modest (read hundreds of thousands here, not millions) sum via lottery. These same people didn't give this friend the time of day when it ran out and they were left pretty much in the same position as before they gave all the handouts to all and sundry.

My final word, however is this: money isn't the most important thing in the world...except when you lack it.

Post 6

Shubunkin

"The love of Money is the root of all evil"
Shakespear, The Merchant of Venice, I think?

But at least you can be miserable in luxury?

Post 7

jan.c1

Think the nails were hit on the head here...
money cant bring some things...but it can bring comfort, peace of mind
and fun! And the unhappy side isnt brought by money exactly...but by
changes that bring out the worst in people! Like jealousy and greed!
Hopefully if I won millions Id keep exactly the ame true friends
I have now...and ey would help me enjoy the money!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more