A Conversation for Thanks for Registering with h2g2 - Welcome!

whats the point in life

Post 1

invisiblemarvin

im marvin twin i want to know why we live and whats the point

whats the point in life

Post 2

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

I have no idea - but if you find out please let me know!

I have left you a welcome message on your personal space (just click 'my space' to get back there)

smiley - cheers

Mort

whats the point in life

Post 3

IctoanAWEWawi

interesting wording though. Most times this question is formulated as 'what is the point *of* life' (my emphasis).

Interesting to consider the differences of expectation that this simple word change hints at. The purpose of life meaning life as a whole, from birth to death, with a meaning attached to the lot. Rather supposes that there is someone or something to understand that point.
Where as the point *in* life points more to there being some point here and now that needs to be considered.

Well, I thought it interesting anyway!

whats the point in life

Post 4

-Rouge-

Intersting... smiley - erm
That's a impossible question to answer seeing how no one knows.
I'm new and its my birthday today!!! smiley - biggrin

whats the point in life

Post 5

gregalexhunter

HELLO- I AM A NEW MEMBER.
THE POINT TO LIFE IS VERY SIMPLE.
INDEED, IT IS A MASSIVE QUESTION, BUT TO GRASP THE POINT ONE MUST GIVE UP ASKING THE QUESTION.
THE LOGICAL MIND CANNOT ANSWER THIS QUESTION. THE LEFT HEMISPHERE OF OUR
BRAIN MUST BE IGNORED. THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BRAIN MUST BE GIVEN FREE REIGN. HOWEVER, THIS CANNOT BE DONE AT WILL.
ONE CANNOT EXPLAIN LIFE IF WE ARE NOT ACTUALLY "LIVING" LIFE.
THE DYNAMICS OF OUR "SPIRITUAL" EXISTENCE CAN ONLY BE REALISED AND EXPERIENCED IN THE "PRESENT MOMENT."
TO BEGIN TO LIVE IN THE PRESENT MOMENT WE MUST "YIELD" TO WHATEVER IS GOING ON AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT IN TIME. LIFE FLOWS.
IF WE TRY TO INTELLECTUALISE ABOUT THE PRESENT, WE ARE NOT LIVING IT, WE ARE THINKING ABOUT IT.
WE MUST ALLOW OUR INATE SUBJECTIVE NATURES TO SHOW US WHAT IS LIFE.
IT IS A FEELING THING.
THE SOUL SPEAKS IN THE LANGUAGE OF LOVE, IT IS PERFECTLY STILL AND CALM AND SILENT, BUT GENERATES WITH A CLARITY THAT IS CRYSTAL CLEAR.
WE BEGIN TO "INTUIT" WHERE LIFE WANTS TO TAKE US, RATHER THAN "THINKING" WHAT TO DO NEXT.
WE THEN BEGIN TO APPRECIATE THAT LIFE IS AN ETERNAL JOURNEY, AND LET OUR SOULS DO THE NAVIGATING. DON'T THINK ABOUT IT, AND TRUST THAT
WHATEVER YOU NEED TO KNOW, AT ANY TIME AT ALL, 24/7, IS GIVEN US IN A MANNER THAT IS PERFECTLY APPROPIATE AND COMFORTABLE FOR OUR INDIVIDUAL SELVES.
I WOULD VERY MUCH APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK ABOUT THE ABOVE.
WITH BEST WISHES.

whats the point in life

Post 6

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Hi there,

I have left you a welcome message on your personal space (homepage). Just click on 'my space' in the menu to get back to it.

We tend to not use all capitals in text as it is considered as online shouting smiley - ok

I agree that if you analyse something too much then you lose the point of its being, but even when you let go and just experience life for what it is, then it can still be very hard.

smiley - cheers

Mort

whats the point in life

Post 7

BIG BROTHER

just enjoy while it last's .smiley - laugh

whats the point in life

Post 8

infinite_warp_speed

tricky. but i believe the answer to this age old question is on top of the letter i in life.smiley - tea

whats the point in life

Post 9

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Hello Infinite!

I have just left a message for you in your Personal Space smiley - hug

Welcome to Hootoo!

lil xx
smiley - magic

whats the point in life

Post 10

BIG BROTHER

I hope you all have a good weekend take care .

whats the point in life

Post 11

His_Jackness

wrong. i believe you're living the answer.

whats the point in life

Post 12

BIG BROTHER

Try writing down the good point's and the bad point's and you will find you have more good point'ssmiley - biggrin

whats the point in life

Post 13

grumpygit

either get a new girlfriend or change the one you've got.

whats the point in life

Post 14

Startfartiblast

Hello Gregalexhunter,

I too am a new member. Recently, I've been thinking that very question 'What's the point in life' and came to the conclusion, after reading a few books on Buddhism, that the point of life is life itself.

Your reply was first class and put most eloquently. I wonder why we were not told this at school?

Best Regards,

Paul.

smiley - ok

whats the point in life

Post 15

anipani

.Love. it's all you need to ever learn. how to give it and to get it in return. can be work, pets, family, friends, lovers(hardest one). painting, listeneing to music, making music, weeding the garden on a sunny day, having a drink with friends, having a drink with strangers, talking to your plants. that's it.

whats the point in life

Post 16

GantzGraf

surely there is ultimately no point to life.
after all we will all die as will any environment you care to imagine which might sustain us.

i've just joined here by the way...not that it matters.

does anyone truly believe that ANYthing matters at all?

i certainly don't.

smiley - winkeye

whats the point in life

Post 17

infinite_warp_speed

surely, all depends on how you view YOUR life and YOUR stay here within the time period we call life.

just a reality check, we started dying the day we were born. what matters however is what we do in life.

surely, YOU, ME, FAMILY, FRIENDS matter and that is the point in life.

whats the point in life

Post 18

GantzGraf

WHY do i matter?
WHY do you,family,friends matter?

i'd be astonished if you have an answer.

oh & i didn't need your "reality check" btw. smiley - winkeye

some would argue that though in that we have to undergo our growth phases first before we can start dying otherwise we would not grow/mature at all & we'd simply die at birth...which really would reflect the futility of life!

whats the point in life

Post 19

walletboy

To continuosly and perpetually ask redundant questions that have only infinetly redundant answers, thereby keeping you distracted so that the rest of us can have a bigger piece of pie, that and getting laid as often as possible smiley - winkeye

whats the point in life

Post 20

bangbangmouse

Better Qestion:
What's the point in that question?

No one is going to give an answer that will please everyone. Just make something up that you like the sound of and will make you happy. And if you really do think you're Marvin's twin [sic] then why bother asking? Life has no point. It's just amusing. Be amused.smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post