A Conversation for Thanks for Registering with h2g2 - Welcome!

Reasons why god and supernatural beings exist(or does not exist)

Post 201

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Well, JCE, my theory is that it's a matter of control. Humans have discovered their scientific theories, and believe that they *belong* to people, where as the concept of God is dangerously independent of human thought...

Post 202

Locke_Brigand

But 'God' is the result of human thought, i far as i know we are the only lifeforms on the planet who worship an entity, if this 'God did' exist then wouldnt he include animals in on this? smiley - tea

Post 203

Just another number

JCE- it is extremely difficult to disprove god, not because there is no proof against it but because there are so many people in the world who want to belive. TWe also have the problem of indoctrination, i dont know bout you but from as far back as I can remember I was being bombarded with religious doctrine. These two factors ensure it is virtually impossible to fully disprove religion dispite it's obvious fictionality. It is not a case of proving the riduclousness of religion it is a case of overcoming the ingrained propoganda and believing god does not exist. The only proof religious fanatics can throw at you to proove His existence is a book which is so clearly a tool of propoganda.

Post 204

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

If the human race died out totaly, would "god" still excist and "would he/she/it be bothered"(I'm an aethist, but respect peoples beliefs)

Post 205

I believe that the answers to your questions Sir-Animal-ROH, are both "yes". God would continue to exist, and God would be bothered with all the other races throughout the Universe. Thanks you that you do respect other peoples' beliefs, unlike some here... smiley - biggrin

Post 206

Originelle

The big mistake in most religions is the way in which they so obviously contradict themselves. If god is all powerful and all good... then how does one solve the problem of evil? Either god is not powerful enough to destroy it, or he is not good enough. One can bring up "free will" but a lot of disasters occur against our will entirely e.g. earthquakes.

Post 207

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

Adelaide the Cat Woman: "Yee-ha is not a foreign policy!" my thanks too, for your comments. post 205.

Everyone is my friend, until they prove different, I would not insult or decry friends, what ever their creed, beliefs etc.
(only in fun that is).

More respect for others would see the world move towards peace (with or without 'gods' help)

Post 208

<>

Absolutely!

Post 209

Adelaide the Cat Woman: "Yee-ha is not a foreign policy!"

goodnight Princess, sweet dreams

Post 210

badger party tony party green party

What does it mean to respect other peoples beliefs.

Some believe I should be willing to fight for this or that bigG, should I?

Some believe that a woman should stay amrried to a man that beats her or takes a polygamous wife, should women have to do this?

What about if I want to shop on a Sunday and a vendor wants to sell to me but a third person says that their holy book prhibts it should we respect their holy book?

one love smiley - book

Post 211

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

It isn't always possible to respect other peoples beliefs but you can respect their right to them, and if discussing their beliefs respect the person by not resorting to personal abuse just because you disagree with them.

Post 212

<>

Exactly, BC! smiley - biggrin

Post 213

badger party tony party green party

What about the mormons who you say arent Christians Della. Does that qualify as respecting other peoples beliefs?

one love smiley - rainbow

Post 214

<>
smiley - erm Actually, yes, it does, Blinky. I respect their right to their beliefs, I just don't think there's any overlap between theirs and mine.

Post 215

Xarious

The Universe, all of reality, everything you hear and see around you is not what is actually there. It is what your brain tells you is there. Therefore, one can assume that the existance of a God is as easy to prove or disprove the existance of the computer you're reading this on. You cannot prove that the computer is there, nor can you disprove it.

After all, you're just imagining it.

Post 216

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Or as Bill Hicks said, 'Its just a ride'

Post 217

Locke_Brigand

So just sit back and enjoy it! smiley - tea

Post 218

JCEllis

God exists in the same way as the theory of relativity exists. Except God is a better theory. In fact, it is the mother of all theories. If something inexplicable is observed, you don't need to rewrite the theory or construct another model in order to fit your new observations in, you just say "Well, that's God for you, He moves in mysterious ways". Brilliant.

So there is no better theory than a God that is responsible for everything, because it is, by it's very nature, impossible to disprove.

Like the chaps who regularly go about doing down the Natural History museum, saying that they only find dinosaur bones in quarries becuase God put them there as some kind of joke. How can you win against a theory of this magnitude?

Post 219

sarabrite

smiley - biggrinsmiley - chocsmiley - blush

Post 220

sarabrite

Say "allah"god is great) with the inner of ur heart and u ill be able to know that god is one.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more