A Conversation for How to Deal with Mosquitoes

Squish....

Post 1

R

You didn't mention that squashing a mosquitoe can result in blood stains on nice clean wallpaper/window panes.

I've heard that you shouldn't squish a mosquito that is feeding on you. If you let it drink its fill then it also sucks up some of the anticoagulant that makes their bites itch.

/ R

Squish....

Post 2

Captain Kebab

Not all of it. I'm always getting bitten. Sometimes I don't squish them. It still itches. Like mad. I hate them. I can't stand them. I really, really loath them. I don't care aboout the wallpaper, I don't care about the window panes, I don't care about the karma - kill them all!!

Did I mention that I hate them?

Squish....

Post 3

R

Do we belong to the same species? They bite me all the time (especially on my feet where it rubs against my shoes) and it NEVER itches.

/ R

Squish....

Post 4

Captain Kebab

Aargh - that just makes it worse. I know people who never seem to get bitten, but now I find somebody who gets bitten and it doesn't itch - I'm itching just typing this! I only have to go into the back garden at dusk to call the cat in, and I'll get bitten (not by the cat). And it always itches. smiley - sadface

I rub anti-histamine creams in - it helps for 5 minutes. I dab witch hazel on - it helps for 5 minutes. I take a 24-hour anti-histamine capsule - it helps a bit - but it still itches. I'm really not fond of mosquitos.

I must have accidentally got your lifetime supply of histamine. You can have it back anytime, I don't mind, really, it's no bother. smiley - smiley

Squish....

Post 5

And Introducing... A Leg

You must make a yearly sport of the evil little monsters. Remember -- karma does not apply to destroying things that are both evil and worthless. (In my version of it anyway). Keep a record each year of the number of bites you receive against the number you kill. I have won for the last six years. And remember this, if you believe in Karma -- mosquitos don't. If you spare it, it show no gratitude.

Squish....

Post 6

Captain Kebab

I couldn't agree more. I found a new solution last summer - it's a thing called a Zanza Click, which is a little pocket piezo-electric zapper thingy which you use to give yourself tiny electric shocks on the bite. If that doesn't make sense do a Google search - you'll find a better explanation.

This doesn't hurt and is supposed to reduce the itching (it actually seems to work for me smiley - smiley ). It is my ambition to actually catch a mozzie 'on the job', as it were, and electrocute the little bugger!

Mwahahahaha smiley - monster

Squish....

Post 7

anti-hero

If you drink a lot of sugars, the mosquitoes are more attracted to you!

Squish....

Post 8

Captain Kebab

So beer should be okay then... that's a good excuse! smiley - smiley

Squish....

Post 9

Captain Kebab

Oh incidentally anti-hero - if you go to your personal space and click 'Edit page' and write something there then other researchers will be able to leave you messages, and you'll get a little welcome note from me or another ACE. It doesn't matter what you write - 'Hello' will do. You can always change it later. smiley - smiley

If you want to know any more click on my name and leave a message on my space - or just post here if you like. smiley - ok

Squish....

Post 10

Researcher 228996

I avoid mozzie bites by staying close to my wife. They love to nibble on her and thus leave me alone. Australian mozzies can be huge. We don't identify them by their noise. We just look for their landing lights :->

Squish....

Post 11

LadyChatterly

I too am like a magnet for flying things but I have a similar problem with fleas...if there's one in the vicinity..say within a 100 metre radius...they're on me. They seem to be able to pick me out in a crowd and they really DO itch!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more