This is the Message Centre for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Here come the cicadas

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

In parts of the eastern U.S., a very large brood of cicadas (Brood X) is set to emerge in May and create quite a racket.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-is-brood-x-us-cicada-infestation-coming-in-2021/

Here come the cicadas

Post 2

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Are they edible? My daughter made cookies out of crickets. This earned her a master’s degree in human nutrition smiley - geek

- With the highest grade possible, adds the proud father smiley - blush

Here come the cicadas

Post 3

" The 17-year periodical cicadas about to emerge are considered a delicacy. You can have your cake and eat cicadas, too"

http://patch.com/us/across-america/billions-17-year-cicadas-emerging-spring-are-edible

Here come the cicadas

Post 4

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

http://www.edibleinsects.com/product/chocolate-covered-scorpion/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHOCOLATE-DIPPED-INSECTS-Crickets-Worms/dp/B00BISCBXW

My sister and bro-in-law once got my nephew a box of smiley - choccoated various insects for xmassmiley - biggrin

But! Apparently ? crickets are a better source of protein than beef (I think ? I've heard that ?)

Here come the cicadas

Post 5

You are right, Prof.

People have digested crickets, locusts and certain larvae for millennia. Not in our knick of the woods, though.

Since we are not used to eating insects it is expected that we may rear insects as food for domestic animals rather than eating them ourselves smiley - geek

Here come the cicadas

Post 6

Tarantulas, lizards, and turtles will eat crickets.

Here come the cicadas

Post 7

Pigs will eat almost anything. It is estimated that at any given time there are four times as many pigs as people in my country. We could stop importing soy beans. Some at least. Many would benefit from that. The climate also.

Here come the cicadas

Post 8

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

Each world culture has throughout history, has eaten certain foods etc that are "inedible" to others, part of nature as such.

I in Yorkshire smiley - winkeyelove the "sea foods" of cockles and muscles(and to some smiley - ermeven whelks etc "yuck")
But! I couldn't see me eating "escargot/snails" YET it's more or less the sane thing ?

Here come the cicadas

Post 9

Peanuts were once thought of as food for pigs.

Here come the cicadas

Post 10

ITIWBS

Pigs still consider peanuts fit to eat. Wild pigs have been making the news for raiding deep south peanut plantations.

Here come the cicadas

Post 11

I went to a convention in Atlanta about 17 years ago. I was warned by well-meaning friends/relatives to beware the wild boars there. I did not see as much as the hair on one's chinny chin chin.

Here come the cicadas

Post 12

Prof, you might be surprised to learn how closely shrimps are related to cockroaches!
And smiley - spidersmiley - spidersmiley - winkeye

Spiders are arachnids. Just like scorpions, mites, and ticks. Arachnids belong to the animal group arthropods which also include insects and crustaceans (lobster, crabs, shrimp, and barnacles) smiley - geek

Would I eat smiley - spidersmiley - spider Nah, not unless I was starving and there wasn't anything else. But I have a picture of my daughter devouring a candied tarantula just for the h*ll of it smiley - cool

Here come the cicadas

Post 13

Furry insects: bumblebess
Furry arachnids: tarantulas

black and orange, a nice combo.

Cicadas often have some oranges and blacks too, but no fur.

Here come the cicadas

Post 14

Pierresmiley - smileyCheers mate smiley - okPost 12 opens my eyes to even more than I know about DNA and the links within species etc

smiley - winkeyeGoing back in time smiley - whistle I could be eating long lost cousins etc ? smiley - laughbloody hell! I'm a cannibal smiley - ermsmiley - erm

Here come the cicadas

Post 15

smiley - laugh You are not wrong, Prof. We may all descend from the same single-celled being if I have understood smiley - scientistsmiley - scientist correctly smiley - biggrin

Here come the cicadas

Post 16

My cousins the cicadas will not be invited to my house for dinner, however. smiley - winkeye

Here come the cicadas

Post 17

A cannibal had a guest who asked if it was okay if he stayed for dinner.

- Of course, came the answer ...

Here come the cicadas

Post 18

Going back to how we all descend from one mother cell:
By a weird coincidence one of my newspapers has an article about just that today.
I'll give you the first few lines:

Human history began 1.5 billion years ago when a large bacterium swallowed a small bacterium.
So much had to play together that it seems unlikely that life ever arose. But it did. Somewhere on an inhospitable planet, the first infant emerged and then lay for billions of years, swimming around and reproducing. Until a bacterium's small, ingenious invention wiped out almost everything
The first infant life was a simple bacterial-like matter - a very basic single-celled organism that did little more than lie and swim around and eat from its surroundings and divide to become more. A simple life it may seem to big, multicellular and self-centered beings like us - but life has to start somewhere.
And in fact, the life that arose - the mere fact that it arose - is far more spectacular than most anything else that has happened in the history of the universe.

Here come the cicadas

Post 19

Yep! Pierre smiley - smileyspot on mate.

The starter "culture" was the "primordial soup" smiley - biggrin which grew to the amoeba single cell life-form and then smiley - eurekasmiley - laughWhat can I achieve if I expand and divide ? smiley - whistlesmiley - laugh

Here come the cicadas

Post 20

Sounds exhausting if you ask me. Why would I aspire to evolve more at my age? smiley - laughsmiley - roflsmiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

Here come the cicadas

More Conversations for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more