This is the Message Centre for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Belichick declines Presidential Medal of Freedom offered by Trump

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2021/01/11/bill-belichick-patriots-declines-medal-freedom-donald-trump/6632843002/

This is the nation's highest civilian honor, awarded by presidents since John F Kennedy for meritorious contributions to the nation's national interests, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.

Bill Belichick is the coach for the new England Patriots, an American football team. What is especially significant here is that (1.) Belichick has been a Trump supporter, but (2.) he has great reverence for "our nation’s values, freedom and democracy." In other words, the events of last week persuaded him that Trump undermined American democracy, and to accept this award from him would be wrong.

I don't think that Belichick is losing anything he values by turning down the award. On the other hand, Trump is losing face in a highly public way.

Some observers are asking Congress to make it impossible for Trump to ever hold public office of any kind ever again. On one hand, this would divert energy and resources from the many challenges that Congress and the new president face. But on the other hand, Trump needs to be hit over the head in order for the message to get through to him.

Voiding his Twitter account was a nice touch, but why wait so long to do it>? Likewise his Facebook account. Trump doesn't get it. He can't be retrained. We can't exile him, as the world exiled Napoleon and Ayatollah Khomeini. Silencing him on social media would give the country an interval in which to recover from the horrors of last week.

And we especially don't want him to ever run for president again.

Post 2

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

He is nothing but a spoiled and entitled little boy of 4-5 years in an adult body. And it has long been obvious that he can't be changed.

He may lose his power but the problem remains: His followers smiley - erm

Post 3

If Pence pulls the 25th on DT he may gain (or regain) some respect, but will he be able to run for president in four years?

I doubt it. But four years is a long time in politics.

Post 4

True.

Presidential primaries weed people out. The early favorites often fade away.

Post 5

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - sadfacetrumps made BIG headlines in the history books!
Except for the wrong reasonssmiley - sadface

Post 6

Trump made a lot of noise. A lot of people vented their frustration. Which is how it's supposed to be.

Then he went too far, and his supporters trashed Washington. They will be punished. And the other side will get its chance. Our founders were smart.

Post 7

I just read an article discussing whethter Trump is a fascist or not. The conclusion was that he is not. He doesn't have a policy and if he really wanted to stage a coup he would have made sure he had gathered stronger support, like from military and other forces.
I believe the conclusion is correct. A 4-5 year old spoiled and entitled kid which changes its views and lies from hour to hour is not capable of forming a policy.

Post 8

Successful fascist leaders seem to have more charm than Trump has.

Post 9

Seeing old clips of Mussolini always reminds me of Trump. Their facial expressions, gestures and other body language are reminiscent of each other.

Post 10

I don't know Mussolini very well. He rose to power in 1922 and kept it until 1943. 21 years of Trump would be a nightmare. Italian governments seem to come and go quickly nowadays.

The U.S. seems to expect a presidential administration to last for four years, and then go before the voters. The constitution precludes a term of more than eight years.

So, a series of Trump-like fascists could conceivably rule indefinitely, but Trump's loyalists have never constituted a majority of the population.

Post 11

"The constitution precludes a term of more than eight years." [paulh]

But FDR served from 1933 until his death in 1945

Post 12

and actually won a record four presidential elections

Post 13

The two-term limit was imposed *after* Roosevelt.

Post 14

I guessed that. What I don't understand is if the US can impose that, why can't they impose an amendment to the second amendment? smiley - rolleyes

Post 15

Anyway I just heard the news. Time to fetch the smiley - popcorn

Post 16

The Second amendment:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

It depends on what you take the word "infringed" to mean. People who might be a danger to others can be denied a gun permit. In fact, having to get a permit may be viewed by some as an infringement.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more