This is the Message Centre for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Saving the world, one retirement at a time

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

If I have one skill (arguable, I know, but there you have it smiley - winkeye), it's planning for things on the far horizon. It's only the intermediate things like next month that I can't cope with. smiley - erm

So, as I contemplate my retirement in the middle of next year, I'm looking at having extra time to do *something* with, and realizing that if my health holds up, I will want to work hard at some project worthy of my efforts.

What could be worthier than saving the world? Or more complex, for that matter? I don't have a huge Astor or Windsor or Rockefeller fortune at my disposal, but several people have shown that it's not the size of your fortune that really counts. Having a well-researched and well-thought-out plan matters the most.

The technology that will be needed already exists. The research that would confirm any necessary steps has been done, sometimes extensively so. What remains for me to do is to access it.

Post 2

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

go ahead. i may join you in less than 4 years smiley - ok

smiley - pirate

Post 3

I'm generally a slow starter, so you will probably not have trouble catching up. smiley - smiley

Post 4

oh i'm a slow starter meself

but once i've learned new stuff - like using a new editing program for example...

...they buy a new one and i can start all over again smiley - erm

smiley - pirate

Post 5

Saving the world should not be like editing, 'cause if it is, we're all in deep trouble. smiley - yikes

Post 6

the way i see it we may have to save the world over and over again, so it is indeed very much like editing

i've been editing for 23 years now - and there doesn't seem to be an end to it smiley - erm

wait! there is! retirement smiley - ok

smiley - pirate

Post 7

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

old saying(near enough) is "everything has been invented,now re-invent the invented,take something and improve on it"

Post 8

AlsoRan80

Dear Paul,

What a brilliant idea.

Wish IO could join you.

CME AR80

Post 9

Jabberwock

Saving the world?

Steady on, Paul,

Jabssmiley - smiley

Post 10

Thanks, everybody.

I've been through 35 years of postponing a serious reckoning about my effect on the world, due to being too exhausted from working and doing all the stuff that keeps the machinery of my life going during the precious "spare" time when I'm not working. It's not unusual for my mind to simply go blank when it gets overextended.

I will finally have a chance to recharge my batteries.... I just want the experience to be turned in the direction of benefitting my fellow passengers on this planetary spaceship. smiley - hug Maybe I will find that my contribution is more modest than I had hoped. smiley - sadface Still, I will learn a heck of a lot, and I like that idea. smiley - ok

Post 11

we have a couple of sayings about this in danish

i'm not sure, but i think what it all boils down to is:

if you have an ability you are obliged to use it. no more no less smiley - zen

smiley - pirate

Post 12

It also makes you feel better. smiley - smiley I think that's permissible. smiley - ok

Post 13

sure. nothing wrong with feeling good about doing good smiley - ok

smiley - pirate

Post 14

AlsoRan80

Saturday 9th May 2009, 8.31,

Hi Paul H...,

I ws just looking at the postings to see if I had missed anything, and I found this wonderful posting of yours.

First of all I reckon that you should become our Roving Ambassador. Come to England, go to Japan, South Africa wherever there are h2g2 r researchers. Write a book about what a wonderful idea DNA had when he started this website (or possibly energised it is the right word). That way we can all meet you, DV, and you can meet all the wonderful h2g2 researdhers. !!

Think about it my dear friend. be the official "meet attender". No meet is possible/recognised without Paul H. presence.You are one of the longest serving researchers on this website..

Start a sort of membership list with the date of joining and the country of each researcher !Appoint a rep/researcher in each country. There are lots of things to do which would be useful to mankind and spread the word of our founder DNA (what fortunate initials he has!!) around the world. To my mind, there is nothing more wonderful in this life than this website. It makes up for families who have dispersed or never existed. It nakes up for a lot of other things which I can think of but which I shall not name for fear of offending some people.

Allez mon ami, en avant. !!

with affection

~Christiane
AR80

Post 15

smiley - blush

At first, I thought "meet attender" meant something that tenderized meat smiley - yikes. I've been to a couple meets for the Northeast U.S.A. researchers group. They kind of petered out after Shea the Sarcastic moved to Ohio and Batty moved to North Carolina and Lady Scott became less active on the site.

But the central question is this: if we meet each other through the Internet, doesn't it undermine the Internet part if we then have to travel large distances to see each other in the flesh. smiley - tongueout

(I'm wearing my Devil's advocate hat now, you see...)

Post 16

Mistadrong, (Count vonCount.)the last Gog standing

I've already taken the plunge and opted recently for early retirement.
So far I'm just enjoying having the spare time and doing things that
I've always enjoyed doing.
This invariably involves going out and rambling on the local hills
and mountains. I've just discovered geocaching(.com) which is a lot of fun
and I'm gradually tracking down as many caches as I can.

However, I had promised myself that I would do something to benefit others
so I've been giving it some thought.
I realised that the best option (for me) is in the voluntary section.
I'm not sure what I want do yet but I have started making enquiries
and it seems there's a lot of scope. There's certainly a lot of people in need of help.
smiley - vampire

Post 17

frankandsense

Idleness is next to godliness, cleanliness coming a very poor third.
Those wishing to save the world should realise that our present Prime Minister is already engaged on that project. A search for nonsense is a much nobler cause.
fxx

Post 18

search for nonsense smiley - huh

shouldn't be too hard to do? smiley - whistle

smiley - pirate

Post 19

frankandsense

Piracy must be fun, if you ignore the ticking sound that comes from that crocodile. Nonsense is indeed to hand. Sense is out of season.
fxx

Post 20

I think that the best place to search for nonsense is right here at H2G2. smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more