A Conversation for Northwest US Researchers Group

Washington State

Post 1

Jeff - Lurker <lurk> - nostalgia overload!

Hey Mikey and fellow Northwesterners!

Just thought I'd drop by and say hello. I currently live in Longview, Washington (which is about 50 miles north of Portland, Oregon and 150 miles south of Seattle.) Within the next six months, I plan to move up to Olympia to go to college. I'm looking forward to finding out how many other folks on h2g2 are from our neck of the woods.

Jeff

Washington State

Post 2

Metal Chicken

Hey guys!
This probably doesn't count, but my sister lives in Seattle and I do pop out from the UK to visit now and again. I know she lurks around H2G2 checking up on me but has never written anything on her page so nobody can speak to her.
Told you it probably didn't count smiley - winkeye

Washington State

Post 3

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Hey there, Metal Chicken!

If you give me your sister's U-number, I'd gladly add her onto the list, even if she *is* only a lurker....

smiley - smiley
Mikey

Washington State

Post 4

Metal Chicken

OK then. She is Researcher Number 115108. You never know, maybe she'll stop lurking and start posting one day.

Washington State

Post 5

OK, Metal Chicken, your sister has been added to the list. Tell her to stop by sometime. smiley - smiley

What does she do out here? It would be weird if she was someone I know...

smiley - smiley
Mikey

Washington State

Post 6

Metal Chicken

She's works as a software support sort of thing, for a company called Armature. They're based in Leeds, UK which is where she started out but then got the opportunity to move to Seattle and jumped at the chance. I encouraged her - it's a great place to keep visiting!

Washington State

Post 7

How very odd. Armature's office is in Bothell, just north of where I live now. Their other US office is in Lisle (IL), which is just north of where I grew up. How very odd and funky. Definitely a small world.

So is your sister liking the Seattle area?

smiley - smiley
Mikey

Washington State

Post 8

Metal Chicken

smiley - smiley Small world indeed!
She's been out there a couple of years and is pretty settled now. I think she wishes she could afford to live on the edge of a lake somewhere but you can't have everything. Besides, she prefers your local wheat beers to British bitters so is in no hurry to come back to the UK.

Washington State

Post 9

Rumplestiltskin U17+5+(5*5)-5=42

Hi, can I butt in here? I am another exiled Brit living in WA, USA.
Actually, I'm in Redmond, between Bellevue and Bothell. But I'm afraid I've never heard of Armature.

Anyway, nice to know there's a few of us in this part of the world.

Washington State

Post 10

Cool - I will add you to the list pronto! What brings you to the Eastside? I live pretty close to Redmond, myself, being across the street from Crossroads in Bellevue.

smiley - smiley
Mikey

Washington State

Post 11

il viaggiatore

Hello all!
I recently came back to Seattle from Italy, where I'd been living for three years. How is everyone?

Washington State

Post 12

hey, il viaggiatore -

everything's all hotsy and totsy here in Bellevue. do you want to be added to our northwest researchers list, too? whereabouts do you live? how does the seattle area compare to italy?

smiley - smiley
mikey

Washington State

Post 13

il viaggiatore

Go ahead and add me. I actually live on Bainbridge Island and work in Seattle. I'm still trying to get used to this place again. It's funny how your home country can seem alien after being away for so long.

Washington State

Post 14

OK, you've been added! Is Bainbridge Island really as pretty as people are always saying it is? I've actually never been out to any of the islands (Mercer Isl. doesn't count!), even though I've lived here for a few years. Is the commute bad? I commute from Bellevue to Seattle most days, but during off-hours so it's not really a problem ever.

smiley - smiley
Mikey

Washington State

Post 15

Metal Chicken

You Seattlites seem to be crawling out of the woodwork now!
I took the ferry over to Bainbridge island last time I was visiting and very pleasant it was too. If you commute by ferry it must be more enjoyable than driving...?

Washington State

Post 16

il viaggiatore

Bainbridge is nice, lots of trees. But living here does make getting around difficult unless you have a car, and the ferry is expensive if you do. For now, I use my parents' car, but I think eventually I'll move to the big city.

Washington State

Post 17

NMcCoy (attempting to standardize my username across the Internet. Formerly known as Twinkle.)

I'm in Lakewood, Washington. Add me to the list please! smiley - smiley

Washington State

Post 18

Jeff - Lurker <lurk> - nostalgia overload!

Hello all,

Well, I'm now living up at The Evergreen State College in Olympia WA, so I'd appreciate it if you could update the info on the main page to reflact that. Thanks smiley - biggrin

Washington State

Post 19

Sylvia, pokémon trainer(with her Oddish)(Minister of emerald green, keeper of green magic)

And as far as the islands, my grandparents live on Whidbey island, so I've been up there, and I must say, it's a very nice place, lots of trees and trails and beaches. And smiley - fish. Don't know about the others, though.

smiley - smileysmiley - catsmiley - smiley

Washington State

Post 20

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

I have a question for those of you who live in Washington. I'm toying with the idea of moving out there, and I'm curious about the cost of living. I'm not really sure how to compare it. Right now, I'm in the Atlanta metro area. The three-bedroom starter home we bough in 94 for $84,900. Now it'd probably go for $120,000.

The pay out there seems to be substantially higher. About 150% of what I'm making now. I'm sort of thinking about moving somewhere that's somewhat rural. A place where I can drive a half hour or an hour to the city, preferably Vancouver or Portland (I'm from Portlant originally), but where I can live on away from it all. I'm tired of living in a growing community.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more