A Conversation for Northwest US Researchers Group

Help Wanted: American Dialects Project

Post 1

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)


Dear All,

Jordan has written a fantastic series of entries on American Dialects. In his journal over at F113808?thread=4926973 he asks for help. Basically, he wants input from as many different speakers of American as possible to improve his project. If you are intersted in accents and dialects, head on over immediately.

At some point during the discussion (EMR, post 14) the possibility of making an audio-visual clip to go with the entry was first suggested, and by post 67 fairly concrete plans were being made.

I seem to have agreed to coordinate (or even, produce) the AV side of the project, hence my presence here and in the other US researcher group entries:

If the clip for this entry is going to work, we will need at least one h2g2 researcher from each of the regions mentioned in Jordans entries to record themselves saying something from the entry. We seem to have plenty of people from the central US (Jordan for instance), but could use some input from any interested researchers around the edges.

There will also be plenty of work to do for the AV clip (see the AViators page at A13264670 for more details about bringing the world of moving pictures to h2g2) as well as the Voice Over recording bits - we need the clip to have a visual aspect as well, so we will need animations, photographs of bits of the regions mentioned, ideas etc.

So, if anyone here is even slightly interested in helping with the entries or the AV clip, please come to Jordans journal thread and make yourselves known.


Thanks,

smiley - cheersvp


Key: Complain about this post

Help Wanted: American Dialects Project

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more