A Conversation for Wicca - a Legacy of Persecution

What Wicca is to me.... qutie a different story

Post 1

Avalonia

What is Wicca?
Wicca is an Earth-based, Nature focussed spirituality, drawing on the beliefs and practises of pantheism, gnosticism, ceremonial magick, witchcraft and the pagan religions of the old worlds. Although the words "Wicca" and "Witchcraft" are often used interchangeably, it is very important to note that THEY ARE NOT the same thing!

So what is Wicca then?
Wicca is an initiatory Tradition, and most Wiccans works in a group called a Coven, which can be a small group of two or as big as 13 or more! Many people may argue the point of initiation, saying that you only need to decide you are Wiccan, to be Wiccan, but if you look at the origins of this tradition, then you will see that it is clearly an initiatory tradition. Obviously it is not that easy to be initiated, and many people find it hard to even find a Coven in their local area, let alone gain entrance into one!

So what is the difference between Wiccans and Witches?
There is no clear difference, but Wiccans can be seen as those who have been initiated into a Wiccan Coven or Tradition such as Gardnerian, Alexandrian or Seax-Wicca.

Witches (as opposed to Wiccans) may be solitary practitioners (hedgewitches), self-initiated or self-dedicated to a particular tradition or path, or they might have been initiated into a tradition outside of Wicca.

Confusing matters even more, some Wiccans are Witches as well as practising Wicca! There are so many websites and books out today which completely confuses the two with each other and newcomers often get wrapped up in what to call themselves, because of all this confusion!

Another way of looking at the difference between Wicca and Witchcraft is to say that Wicca is a Ritualistic Spiritual path, where as Witchcraft is the actual practical workings. It is worth remembering that Witches are not necessarily Wiccan, but that Wiccans are often Witches. This is because other religious systems such as Santeria, Voodoo and many of the African practices also call their practitioners 'Witches' - but their beliefs are not the same as Wicca at all!

Wicca does not have one central leader, and therefore Wicca is not a cult. Wiccan groups are lead by the High Priestess and her High Priest. Not all Wiccans are High Priestesses and High Priests. A comparison with the Christian church can be drawn here, there are many Christians, but only a few Priests. Titles mean nothing unelss you
a) deserved and earned them in the first place;
b)use the skills which comes with the title! (An HPS and HP is supposed to lead a group and teach seekers - its not a title to 'show off' with!)

Wiccans come in three main categories:
Gardnerian, Alexandrian and Seax-Wicca.

So what do Wiccans Do?
Before you become Wiccan, you will spend a period of time studying as a probationer to a Wiccan Coven. Some Covens offer a training programme of a 'Year and a day' regardless of previous knowledge, where as others will take into account the knowledge you have brought with you from working on your own or with other groups. (This depends on your HPS & HP) You will be expected to put a lot of work into practising and preparing yourself for 1st degree initiation.

Wiccans work from a Book of Shadows (BOS) which has been handed down from the original Book of Shadows of Gerald Gardner. (More…Book of Shadows) The Book of Shadows is copied by hand by the initiate, and more material is added as new workings are done.

Wiccan Covens meet on a regular basis. The entire Coven with their probationers meet 8 times a year to celebrate the turn of the wheel at each of the Wiccan Sabbats. These events are often followed by a social after the ritual has been completed.

Probationers might have workshops to attend, offered to them by their High Priestess and High Priest or another initiated member. The way training is offered varies greatly from group to group.

The Esbats are celebrated more or less thirteen times per year, one for each of the Lunar months. Groups will often try and hold these rituals as close as possible to the Full Moon. Esbats are attended by the Coven members, and are often the times when healing and other spell work is done.

So what do Wiccans believe in?
Firstly, when it comes to practices, Wiccans abide by the Wiccan Rede which is often quoted in its abbreviated form 'Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill - An' It Harm None Do As Ye Will. (more...The Wiccan Rede)

All Wiccans believe in a female Deity, Who is worshipped alongside Her male companion, often seen as the Horned God. There are many different pantheons from which Deities might be drawn from, but Wiccans often prefer to work with the Celtic Deities. (more… Goddess & God )

Wicca is a life affirming and positive spiritual path. We do not worship the 'Christian Satan' and we do not sacrifice babies! We celebrate the cycles of Nature and the divinity of the Earth.

What is the history of Wicca?
Claims that Wicca is the Old Religion is for the most unfounded. It is a modern religion, which draws on the various forms of the Old Pagan Religions of Europe, and the rituals and practices of The Golden Dawn and Freemasonry..

Also I would reccommend you read the Triumph of the Moon by Prof. Ronald Hutton

What Wicca is not!
I have already made it quite clear that Wicca is not related to Satanism. It is a completely different path.

Wiccans, even when they work in groups have to do a lot of research, study and practise. It is not a path for lazy people as it requires a lot of hard work and dedication.

It is a path that people find their way to, which enables seekers to celebrate the cycles of Nature whilst growing spiritually.

To summarise, some witches choose Wicca as their religion, not all witches are wiccan, nor are all witches religious. Some witches are Jewish and some claim to be Christian. So you see Wicca is the religion of some Witches, but not all.

For those of you with an interest in Linguistics,
We include the following:

The origins of the words:
WIC: An Olde English word which means to bend, to manipulate
WICC: An Olde English word which means a male who bends or manipulates
WICCE: An Olde English word which means a female who bends or manipulates
WICCAN: An Olde English word which means males or females who bend or manipulate, the plural of Wicca or Wicce

The Above is from http://www.avalonia.co.uk

Post 2

soeasilyamused, or sea

an interesting viewpoint.

sounds like your view of wicca is a more specific and structured one. smiley - smiley when writing the entry, i based it on most of the information i found and my own personal experience, which was that most wiccans are self-proclaimed, solitary practitioners. of course, i don't claim that my views are perfectly accurate, and your concept of wicca interests me because it is so different. smiley - smiley

thank you for sharing! i guess one of the biggest things about the religion is that it's different for everyone. smiley - winkeye

Post 3

Avalonia

I think the difference comes about because my views are based on the traditional form of Wicca, and yours are based more losely around the more modern pagan view of wicca, which is that it is a term for anyone who works with the goddess, the cycles and who practises magick or witchcraft.

There are so many different opinions these days and the term and definitions are all quite jumbled - as long as we all learn from each other and continue our paths, we will all find the truth for ourselves with time.

Love and Blessings,
S.

Post 4

soeasilyamused, or sea

*nod* precisely! smiley - smiley

how did you get involved in traditional witchcraft?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more