This is the Message Centre for U168592

h2g2 Announcements

Post 1

U168592

I've been having a bit of a shifty through the old announcements (after the most recent downtime one).

It's interesting to read the ones from a few years back which tell us of simple things, and mention names and pride of achievements by Italics and Researchers, and even welcome on board notes. All very friendly and affable kind of announcements that aren't just 'Important Information'.

Is it just me, or is the loss of some of that feeling perhaps why hootoo isn't as, well - fun? as it used to be?

I know the Italics (or even just the singular Italic) have their work cut out for them, and perhaps the announcements are furthest from their minds when working through everything the site needs every day - but I do miss the affectionate attitude the people behind the scenes appeared to have about hootoo and the h2g2 community.

Every now and then we get a Front page with blurbs full of wit and humour and a sense of joy about h2g2 and what it's doing. Other times I have a sense that it's more trouble than it's worth smiley - sadface

Just a shame is all. I don't think the current Italics are horrible people, but perhaps some time on instilling some sense of being a part of the h2g2 community, rather than the people who fix the problems might bring back that old ambience smiley - smiley

h2g2 Announcements

Post 2

Hypatia

Perhaps we should start an "Invite the Italic(s) to Tea" movement.....to get better acquainted. smiley - teasmiley - strawberriessmiley - bubbly

If it catches on maybe we'll get a smiley.

h2g2 Announcements

Post 3

U168592

That sounds like a fine idea smiley - smiley

Your our honoured prez - perhaps you might like to rustle up some fine china?

h2g2 Announcements

Post 4

tartaronne

A proper use for the new teapot and -set collection. smiley - smiley

h2g2 Announcements

Post 5

frenchbean

I can provide delicious smiley - strawberriessmiley - drool

h2g2 Announcements

Post 6

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

I got the champagne.. *hic* smiley - bubblysmiley - diva

h2g2 Announcements

Post 7

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

(puts down two large jars of home pickled onions on the table, a container of home made sausage rolls, and pasty's) smiley - ermsmiley - doh forgot the beer smiley - run

h2g2 Announcements

Post 8

Leo

Can you link to some of those announcements? They sound before my timeish.

But I'll definitely come to tea with the Italics. Will Madame President host it in the Alabaster House?

h2g2 Announcements

Post 9

Leo

I'm bringing the smiley - cheesecake, of course.

h2g2 Announcements

Post 10

Fiona

I'll bring the tea and coffee -- I know how to make a good cup of both! =D

h2g2 Announcements

Post 11

Leo

Someone great GuideML skills should design a pretty invitation with all the details. smiley - ok

h2g2 Announcements

Post 12

Hypatia

I do not have good Guide ML skills unfortunately.

It Madame President can remember how to find Alabaster House, she will set up some tables on the lawn. I've always liked garden teas. But it can't be today as Madame President is buried with budgets and reports. Being in charge isn't all fun and games, you know.

h2g2 Announcements

Post 13

U168592

Leo -

Here's some links - just skim through them, you'll see what I mean smiley - smiley

A724501

A724565

A724574

Compare them to the more recent <./>Announcements</.>

h2g2 Announcements

Post 14

Leo

Hm. Definitely less chatty. I agree - we need to teach the eds how to chat. Maybe we can bring in FDR as a guest speaker - his fireside chats set the standard for a while.

I'd recommend Wilma for the invitation job - she's done some pretty smiley - cool things with marquees - but she's not around. Anyone else want the honour?

h2g2 Announcements

Post 15

U168592

I guess I could knock something up.

Uh, I mean... smiley - blush

Someone else do it please...

h2g2 Announcements

Post 16

U168592

Well, I started this, so - A25980159

h2g2 Announcements

Post 17

Hypatia

Thanks Matt. And thanks for the link to Alabaster House. smiley - rofl

I am genuinely too busy today. I'll start setting things up over at the official residence tonight or tomorrow.

must get back t work....must get back to work...

h2g2 Announcements

Post 18

U168592

No problem smiley - winkeye

I'll send a link over to The Post thing about Announcements too smiley - smiley

h2g2 Announcements

Post 19

Leo

If we all announce it in our journals, the word could get round rather quickly.

smiley - run

h2g2 Announcements

Post 20

U168592

Please do! smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post