A Conversation for h2g2 New Users

Time warped England

Post 1

Big Cat (29630)

Last holiday weekend, during a routine sea side trip, I discovered a place lost in
time.
I refer to the town of Cliftonville, Kent.
It was a strange but pleasant experience to drive into the 1930's then out again.
The best part was the lack of speed, everything just slowed down, A superb place
to get lost in your thoughts.
Does anyone know of other such places?

Time warped England

Post 2

Researcher 35860

I liked your comments about 'Time warped England', I tell you what Scotland (where I live) takes some beating. I have 3 time zones that I refer to, 1) is Engish time 2) is Scottish time 3) is Outer Hebrides time. Things are very slow in the islands and I love it. Even the mail in the villages is determined by the days of the week and not times per day. Going there for a holiday is something else, you cannot get off the islands on a Sunday, no ferries, no shops open and even the swings in the parks are chained together so no one can have a sly swing!
Their accent is great too, they have a lilt to their voice and it sounds like they are singing.

Time warped England

Post 3

O-the-O (R 30565)

But the mail all over the UK is governed not by einstienian time but by a specially created time called postal zone time. No matter when a letter is posted it will (in postal time) arrive the following morning. In real time this could mean the letter arriving before it is posted or, more frequently, five to seven days later. Sunday does not exist in Postal-Time.
There are two deliveries in any one day, however in my town in Oxfordshire the first post arrives at 07.30 PT, and the second post at 10.30 PT. These two are, by curious coincidence, both at approximately 12.30 BST (or GMT depending).
Postal slowness is not exclusively a Scottish thing.

Incidentally, congratulations on your new parliament and forthcoming independence.

Message for 30565

Post 4

Angel (no. 32883)

Three-oh-five-six-five
You're great - write more stuff!

Message for 30565

Post 5

O-the-O (R 30565)

As you say, so shall I do.

Time warped England

Post 6

Researcher 92340

Yes all of Derbyshire

Time warped England

Post 7

Vladimir

Those residents of Kingston-upon-Hull rejoice in having Victorian public toilets, Victorian swimming baths and Conductors that get on the back of the bus with little ticket machines in an "On the Buses" style.

All of the above are good things.

Vlad.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more