A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

About that "Season's Greetings" banner...

Post 1

Emar, the Flying Misfit... Yes, seriously, he's back...

I've been looking at that banner all through December, and now that it's Christmas, I decided to ask the question that has plagued me up to now: WHAT are those things on the banner supposed to be, anyway? Kissing fireflies? Kissing bunny-slippers? Mutant jellybeans(having sprouted eyballs and bulbous wings) that happen to be kissing?

What have I been looking at all month?!

Post 2

Salamander the Mugwump

They're cicadas, obviously. Fat, chunky looking bodies, beaks, boggly looking bug eyes ...

Go and check out http://www.h2g2.com/A444197 and you'll recognise the description.

Sal smiley - smiley

Post 3

Oooooooooooooo-kaaaaaaaaay... I'm willing to buy that.
However, what exactly do cicadas have to do with the Holidays.

Post 4

Salamander the Mugwump

Hmmmmm. Good question. I have to confess, it's one of the many many things I don't know. Never could get the hang of Christmas. Unless someone can come up with a convincing explanation, I'll just add it to my list of things I have to scratch my head and wonder about. I like them better than the banner they replaced anyway. At least they don't fidget so much, in an effort to get your attention.

Post 5

What WAS the last, fidgety banner? Most memories of 'net advertising are all a blur to me.

Post 6

aderfull

There are other crazy things on the website like the honeyeater kissing!

Post 7

Salamander the Mugwump

Now you come to mention it, I had to try very hard to remember what it was. I remembered straight away that it was brown but it was hard to remember what the product was. I think the product may have changed from time to time. There was a photo hosting co, I think there may have been something advertising women for sale or hire. No, I give up - I can't remember. I just remember that it moved a lot and kept reloading every few seconds. I doubt I would have noticed that, only it annoyed me because there were times when h2g2 itself took forever to load or wouldn't load at all and this irritating banner at the top of the screen kept sort of flashing at you as if to say "don't look at h2g2 and all your silly messages, look at me instead". Grrr. Anyway, no doubt it'll be back soon. I just hope the banner won't be so busy when it returns.

Where's the kissing honeyeater, by the way? I've seen a couple of kissing lizards somewhere but I haven't come across kissing honeyeaters?

Post 8

Peta

Flirtateous bugs seems to fit. Have you seen the card? Did you like it? Aha, so you did click on the banner ad this time, hurrah!! Our evil plan worked then.. smiley - winkeye ;-D

Post 9

Salamander the Mugwump

Yes, I clicked on it, I saw the card and I liked it. I liked the bugs, the lizards and the robin. I wonder if the centipede liked being a turkey. smiley - winkeye

If that's as evil as it gets around here, I'm staying!

Post 10

Peta

Aww, it was cute wasn't it? A little seasonal romance... smiley - smileysmiley - holly

Post 11

'Tis the season for insects to find true love!

...Actually, I would have thought it was too cold for that, at least in Europe and most of the US. MAYBE this time of year is ideal for bugs in Australia and equatorial countries... but I digress.

Anyway, you've answered my question: I was NOT imagining things, those ARE supposed to be some kind of romanticizing insects. I had wondered if I had just been misinterpreting some sort of wierdly-drawn Christmas lights or something.

Post 12

Researcher 163218

i wonder how quickly you'll see this "****"?

Post 13

Zeb (Viva Something-or-Other! And the Zaphodistas!)

...aaaaaaaaand, if your question were answered somehow, it would demonstrate... what, exactly? What useful information could you gain from knowing how quickly your random expletive is noted?

Post 14

Peta

Well it took me 17 hours. But then you did post it late on Sunday night GMT. It only took me a minute to suspend your account though. Happy now?

Post 15

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: We have removed the aforementioned expletive from your posting, as per the terms and conditions of h2g2 at http://www.h2g2.com/Terms which you signed on registration.

Post 16

Jimi X

LOL!
Sometimes the New Moon has odd influences on people's behaviour as well. smiley - winkeye

Post 17

Zeb (Viva Something-or-Other! And the Zaphodistas!)

Aaaahhh... swift, brutal justice. Remind me never to cross the editors (especially not for the sake of something so pointless and random as THIS incident was).

Key: Complain about this post