A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

Shady business at h2g2

Post 1

Alfredo

In all naivity I wrote another article in my Journal.
Suddenly it was gone.
I know I am getting older and realize my memory is pretty bad.
Just asked one of my daughters to mail me their birthdays and birthyears. It doesn't hurt them. We have more important things that binds us together.

But this was rather spooky.
It was suddenly gone; no trace what so ever.

So I did all the work again and posted it at my Journal.
One hour later it was gone agaín.

Now I discovered that the Mind Police of h2g2 had done a secret operation; no names of anyone, man/woman/professional or desolate volunteer, nothing what so ever.

Not to mention the real follow up, besides some standard info that says that there's nothing sane can be said about.

It gives mé a feeling of hanging around in a shady country.
They just come an leave.

I'm really píssed, because they're hiding. like a hand that suddenly comes out between two curtains and grabs something from my table and the curtains are as closed as before.

It gets the devil out of me.
Mis-use of digital power.

Come, and tell me who you are and what we can expect from you.
Do you have a name?
Do you have an age?
A nationality?
Are you professional from the BBC?
Or are you a volunteer?
Are you a man or woman?
What are the limits of your power?

Gét on stage !!!!!!!!!!!!

Shady business at h2g2

Post 2

Alfredo

Put the lights on,
sit around the table of h2g2
take a glass of water,
and look and talk.

You don't like that,
don't you.
Being visible,
being tracible,
sharing responsabillity
under the spotlights.

Those 6 and 9,
are these eyes,
or dark sunglasses?
It's your choice;
mine are eyes.

Alfredo, Amsterdam

Shady business at h2g2

Post 3

Alfredo

No answer tells it all

Shady business at h2g2

Post 4

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Right. The recently introduced profanity filter examines all incoming postings. Some (most) it lets through without demur; some it blocks, not allowing them to be posted until they are reworded; and others it posts and then immediately refers to the moderators without warning or notice. If a journal entry falls into this last category, it will disappear without trace. Later, when the moderators have reviewed it, it will either reappear or it won't. If it doesn't, you should get an explanitory e-mail.

Okay?

TRiG.smiley - smiley

Shady business at h2g2

Post 5

Alfredo

Thanks,

but this info should be given, at the same moment of taking a Journal/posting away.

First thing one should do = give information/explanation and not just put all the info at one entry.
This info can easily be made standarised in a couples of relevant versions.

And when a final ruling has been done, one should be informed also in áll cases.

No, I'm not happy when they just grab in my own Journal, without any info.

But I dó appreciate your effort of replying. Thanks.

Greetings from Amsterdam

Shady business at h2g2

Post 6

I think it's incompetence, not maliciousness.

Shady business at h2g2

Post 7

Alfredo

I do hope so.

Shady business at h2g2

Post 8

Ladye_Seagull

I can't see why you need to call it a 'shady business'.
Have you asked the editors why this has happened?
Or which other person is responsible for the removal.

Shady business at h2g2

Post 9

Alfredo

Well, if one grabs a Journal without even télling who did so and why and what to expect, it feels like the cold war, or Russia 2007.

Shady business at h2g2

Post 10

Ladye_Seagull

A388334

Shady business at h2g2

Post 11

EF is used for this sort of thing, but it shouldn't be really. Properly, it's only for discussing problems in the Edited Guide, Peer Review, and the Update Forum. A452125 might be a better bet for this sort of stuff.

TRiG.

Shady business at h2g2

Post 12

Alfredo

Thanks, all, for your replies.

Shady business at h2g2

Post 13

h2g2Support

Hello there,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks to all those who helped here.

We don't know what's happened to this particular journal; we can only investigate things by looking at our moderation records. If you reply to any email you receive in connection with a decision, we can try and explain further why that's happened.

If you have received no email then it could be the filter as stated, or it could be a bug that we haven't even discovered yet! But we assure you that nobody has any interest in censoring you unless you post defamatory material or things that break the House Rules in another way.

I know lots of people have opinions on the way that the software works, or how the system itself could function better, and we might even agree with some of them, but we are working with *extremely* limited resources, and we have to cope with all sorts of change, not all of which is perceptible from the outside.

Sometimes things won't go to plan. But please don't presume it's our 'incompetence', or there's anything sinister or 'shady' behind it! It's really disheartening, especially when we're under so much pressure.

Thanks for your comments,

h2g2 Support

Shady business at h2g2

Post 14

Sorry about using the word /incompetence/. It's not really what I meant, and I regretted it afterward.

If it is the filter that caused the problem, a little warning note would be nice, that's all. All I was trying to say to Alfredo was that there probably wasn't a specific editor personally causing him difficulty. Rather, it's a slight glitch in the software. I phrased this badly, and I apologise.

TRiG.

Shady business at h2g2

Post 15

h2g2Support

Nah no worries Trig - we were probably a bit over-sensitive anyway. smiley - blush

We agree there are limitations with the profanity filter; it's just all we've got to work with for now. But we hope for happier times! smiley - smiley

smiley - cheers

Shady business at h2g2

Post 16

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"And it was not the automatic filther kicking in, then nobody gets time to reply before it is gone. . . "

Shady business at h2g2

Post 17

Ladye_Seagull

Just so long as no-one is so sensitive they kill themselves over it, dear Editors.

Shady business at h2g2

Post 18

The_Apple_Woman...being conscientious & objective

I hope you all find the conclusion and manage to sort out the cause of the problem because it hasn't ended yet.

Shady business at h2g2

Post 19

Ladye_Seagull

Someone doing irrecoverable damage to your vehicle out of spite is maliciousness

Shady business at h2g2

Post 20

The_Apple_Woman...being conscientious & objective

I have come to the conclusion that hoo too do not like Ladye Seagull.
She has a point of view but they keep sending her e-mails and deleting her posts. That is very short sighted of them. It is up to them is they want to get their eyes tested. I have already had mine tested. smiley - dontpanic

Key: Complain about this post