A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

Forty. Is it the beginning, or the beginning of the end. Discuss.

Post 21

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Ah, yes, on someone else besides me. There are certain bits that are hard to position properly without tailoring.

Post 22

Mystic Martin

Forty is the end of the beginning. Your teenage spots, angst, fragile heart, desperation to be cool, craving for red Italian sports cars you can't afford, puberty, crush on teacher, homework, and black wallpaper are all behind you now. At forty you can gather up all your hard and bitterly won life experiences and play a blinder in the second half!

Mystic Martin.

Post 23

Santragenius V

Given that I'm 28 and some months (149 months or so smiley - smiley):

I simply must agree with the many posters saying that the exact number you associate with your age doesn't matter much. "Rather a big kid than a small adult" goes a saying in Danish and I subscribe to that smiley - biggrin

Yes, I did hump around on a sore leg for a couple of days after playing some rather wild and physical games with a bunch of 14-16 year olds recently (scouts, in case you were inclined to ask)

Yes, getting over a wild Saturday night takes longer - quite a bit longer - than it used to.

But does it stop me from doing it? No way, Jose... smiley - biggrin

On the contrary - we used our (double) 40 years birthdays as a brilliant excuse to host a 12-hour 80-guests party that ended up with (just slightly smiley - winkeye) too much gin consumed...smiley - tongueout

Post 24

diversity

I think stuff hurts so you are reminded the younger folks will never learn anything if you keep doing everything for them.

diversity

Post 25

Beachboy

You aint too old if you aint too ashamed. Good advice, all things are possible. I hit 40 and after nearly 20 years in a boring office job in Oxford I followed my dream and moved to Tenerife and began a new life as a journalist. I had been freelancing for ages and making no progress to a full time job so made a lateral move. two years on i couldnt be happier, life is good. Cheers colin

Post 26

Neugen Amoeba

The stress associated with turning 40 may be linked to our cavemen ansestors. Even 2000 years ago or so, the average age was less then 30. When we were still living in caves, the chances of you getting to 40 without becoming some animal's meal or squished by a wooly mammoth was pretty slim. So when turing 40, the stress you are feeling is really you ansestrol genes saying: "what the hell are you dong still being alive?!"

But don't despair! This is not a problem, but an achievement: you have outdone your ansestors in longevity. So stand tall, hold your head up high and slap on those tight jeans to show the world that you're no animal's meal and no mammoth's foot rest.

Post 27

Researcher 220282

Here,Here smiley - laugh

Post 28

Jane Austin

Hey beachboy

I live in Tenerife too!!!

Jane

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more