A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

How does this sound to you?

Post 1

Baconlefeets

I can upgrade my mobile this week, so have been looking around at posh, shiny, new mobiles (smiley - drool). I think I'm going to get the Nokia N90 and had a look around the internet for 30 seconds before logging onto Ebay.

I found one offering a few different Nokias for forty odd pounds, it said to email for an exact price and the reply I got was this:

"the price is 220£ GBP/unit (including shipping)
the phones are brand new, unlocked with all the networks and they will come boxed with all the original accesories and one year international warranty.
if you will buy more then one unit you will get discounts
reply me asap and let me know if we can make a deal"

The cheapest I've seen the mobile on Kelkoo is £85.

Does it sound dodgy to you?

(I've not posted the Ebay link in case people on here don't think it's dodgy and swipe the mobile from under my nose. I know who you aresmiley - grr)

smiley - cheers

Post 2

Thorn

smiley - erm, I'm smiley - sorry -but I don't know the currency exchange rate for Pounds or Euros to $.

Post 3

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

If in any doubt then don't do it.

I have heard of mobile phone 'offers' on auction sites before and they are not always what they seem.

It is your choice, but unless he gives you a straight price for the purchase of a fully described item that he is advertising, then I would say it is not worth the risk.

But that is just my personal opinion smiley - ok

Post 4

Baconlefeets

I think I'll keep looking around, cheers Mortsmiley - ok

Post 5

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

You are welcome!

It might even be worth alerting Ebay - as it certainly sounds like at best, he is being misleading in his selling pitch, at worst he is being fraudulent.

Hope you find a bargain

smiley - cheers

Mort

Post 6

Thorn

smiley - huh
I know that in the states the cellular-phone stores try to lure new people in with 'new goodies'/deal packages. Are there stores like that in the U.K. too?

Maybe, maybe not.
Sometimes I'll find pretty good deals physically shopping around, y'know & with catalogs/newspaper ads, etc. There's usually some sort of a catch though -smiley - doh

Post 7

Thorn

I don't know about Internet shopping though. Whole thing is murky to me, since I as of yet, and still to even activate my first cred. card. smiley - erm

Post 8

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I had this quandry when I got my new mobile, saw plenty good offers online that 'were not availible in store' etc.... took careful note of them all and then rang the phone company. Yeh its a bit of a step back in terms of doing it on the phone rahter than on their website, but the people you talk to are I think* on some kind of performance related pay so they want you to have a mobile phone; I got a deal on the phone which wasn't availible on any website on any contract type with any of the major UK phone providers. I just haggled with em on the phone. got the phone for £70 which should have then been on a £30 a month contract over a year; got em to reduce that to £20 a month (by taking off some c**p I didn't want included on the contract), got them to throw in a free £20 worht of leather case for the phone, and got it dilivered in a couple days smiley - cool called em again a while later, got the contract extended to 18 monhts, and another fiver off the monthly charge smiley - magicsmiley - erm I've bought two second hand mobiles off Ebay, the first was fine and great (till I distroyed it ), the second was not as advertised, but the seller said thais was his mistake, I sent the phone back and he fully refunded me smiley - erm I won't buy anything off Ebay where it is a UK looking company/seller, but goods are shipped from Singapor etc... You've no guarentee I guess that it'l even work on the UK mobile networks smiley - huhsmiley - alienfrown Ebay buyers be aware... More recently looking for 512 MB Multimedia card for my phone (which had to be a duel voltage reduced size), there were seemingly* good deals on Ebay, for 'brand new' cards, and some also on 'second hand', I got a cheaper price in the end on amazon market place smiley - huhsmiley - alienfrown I've seen second hand CDs sell on Ebay for more than they cost new smiley - huhsmiley - weird

Post 9

Thorn

Isn't a pound about 1.something-$2(U.S.), these days?
smiley - huh

Post 10

Mr Jack

A pound is worth about $1.72.

Post 11

Thorn

smiley - bigeyes: Oh. "smiley - ok thanks."

-Thornsmiley - wizard

Key: Complain about this post