This is the Message Centre for Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Delusions of reality?

Post 1

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

My dear friend J made an excellent point which in turn made me think (quiet in the back!):
Does anybody else actually feel like what they actually are at any given time?
Like ever?

Or do we all content ourselves with more or less successfully deluding our surroundings and ourselves into believing that we are in fact grownups, parents, middle managers, bosses or - well, you name it?

I always felt like I was play acting somehow.

These days I still can't believe I'm an old age pensioner.
And I have already been one for three years now >:o

smiley - pirate

Delusions of reality?

Post 2

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Its all a play, and we're all actors, creating ourselves as we best can smiley - zen I struggle with reality a lot; mainly as I'm still fairly convinced that I'm still in the coma I went into, in 1994.... never found any evidence to contradict this idea, that I'm still in a coma... hmm... I guess thats one reason I find everything in life so utterly sureal smiley - laughsmiley - zensmiley - badgersmiley - badgersmiley - badgersmiley - badger

Delusions of reality?

Post 3

You can call me TC

I know exactly what you mean Pierce. Sometimes it's nice to come here and moan about things you can't possibly mention in RL. But, out here in the real world, I've forgotten what I am really like. If I ever knew.

A simple example: when you've been a Mum for 15 years or so, and it's your birthday, and you say to yourself "I'm going to cook a meal that's exactly what *I* would like to eat today" - you suddenly realise you have no idea what you like any more!

Delusions of reality?

Post 4

coelacanth

The rather scary thing here is that if 2Legs is still in a coma, we're all in it with him! smiley - yikes

In the film Blade Runner, proving whether you, or someone else, is real or not is shown as being surprisingly difficult.
smiley - bluefish

Delusions of reality?

Post 5

Are you suggesting I am a figment of 2legs' illusion smiley - huh

While he is in a coma smiley - huh

Hmmm, sounds both scary and inviting smiley - bigeyes

smiley - pirate

Delusions of reality?

Post 6

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit recovering from a depression
"Thee is a natural tendency to keep a self image higher then what you really are (something I failed recent years). This to have the courage to try and manage anything.

The philosophical part would be viewing the Total Perspective Vortex; I am insignificant, just a spec of dust in the grand scheme of reality.

Guess a healthy perspective should be somewhere in between.

We can always assume we are just a figment of 2legs imagination, do not think that would give a functional society anyway. "

Delusions of reality?

Post 7

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"The rather scary thing here is that if 2Legs is still in a coma, we're all in it with him! smiley - yikes In the film Blade Runner, proving whether you, or someone else, is real or not is shown as being surprisingly difficult. [Coelacanth]

Are we discussing phenomenology? There are no guide entries on the topic, so I will have to go with this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenomenology_(philosophy)

I not infrequently get the feeling that I'm in Alice's dream, and that any minute now I will encounter the Queen of hearts, the Jabberwock, or some very silly hares and hatters at a tea party where a dormouse is sleeping in the teapot. The last would not be the worst of all possible worlds. The worst would be drinking tea without realizing the dormouse has been in the pot smiley - yuk. I think the Queen of Hwearts was my first grade teacher smiley - sadface.

Delusions of reality?

Post 8

I think I have somewhat come to terms with reality: I do not meddle in her affairs and she does not meddle in mine smiley - silly

smiley - pirate

Delusions of reality?

Post 9

SashaQ - happysad

Interesting question.

I do remember one day in 1999 waking up in my uni room and suddenly realising "I am me!" - it was a bizarre sensation, that I wondered if I hadn't been me, or hadn't been aware of being me up to that point, but it didn't change anything after that other than carrying on and knowing I was in the right place at the right time.

I wasn't very good at looking after myself on my own at uni, so in 2011 I started getting more of an understanding of how my mind and body worked together (and my partner was a psychology graduate so had a lot to contribute to contemplations of that) but these days I try not to overthink in general otherwise I might end up staring into an abyss, so I aim to focus on thinking about specific topics instead.

Delusions of reality?

Post 10

You speak of the abyss as though it was a bad thing. smiley - winkeye

Delusions of reality?

Post 11

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Being stuck in 2leg's coma would explain so much.

I used to get attacks of introspection when it seemed that all my friends were partnered off, having kids and mortgages and becoming settled, while I... wasn't. Sometimes I felt like a tourist in my own life. In retrospect, I think I've been peculiarly blessed (no religious connotation intended) to have travelled so much and to have had the "impermanence" life.

If, in living, you're always aspiring to become something better, then you're probably doing something right. If you know what I mean.

Delusions of reality?

Post 12

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I think that finally I have the ULTIMATE answer to existence.

The universe is far too weird to be real, hence we are all a part of a 2legs coma delusion. I can live with that, it makes a lot more sense than the last 56 years have ... smiley - biggrin

Delusions of reality?

Post 13

But then - - -

Does that make 2legs akin to "His Great Bob'ness" ?

That is a little frightening ... smiley - erm

Delusions of reality?

Post 14

A little bit frightening, yeah. But on the other hand you have survived 56 years of it already and why should that change?

Like I said: I have come to terms with this existence/fate/whatever we for lack of a better word call reality.

Call it armed neutrality if you like. You know: Trust in God - but keep your powder dry.

smiley - pirate

Delusions of reality?

Post 15

I'm reading Neil Gaiman's "Sandman: Overture." The main character is Dream, a.k.a. Morpheus.\
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman_(Vertigo)

Delusions of reality?

Post 16

A movie version of "Sandman," starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, was said to be in development, but when I checked Gordon-Levitt's page at imdb.com, I saw no such project listed. smiley - sadface

Delusions of reality?

Post 17

I don't get into "deep" reading - I am now enjoying Stephen King's later book of short stories.

Delusions of reality?

Post 18

smiley - online2long

Delusions of reality?

Post 19

There was a thread not many months ago, where a lovely Yorkshire lady who lives in Germany was so very upset about "The Time Traveller's Wife" ... The lead character was so callous and cruel as to impregnate his wife, knowing he couldn't be around.

That was on our telly again yesterday, and the other side of the coin naturally came to mind. Knowing the story and life she had, why did the wife allow things to happen? It may only take one to flit through time, but it still takes two to make a child.

Delusions of reality?

Post 20

The child turned out to be a survivor. it's hard to imagine the father *not* knowing how accomplished she would turn out to be. Perhaps he told his wife, and she found his argument persuasive. How many couples have struggled with differing perspectives like this? Is there a single right or wrong answer?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more