This is the Message Centre for Shea the Sarcastic

Veggies!

Post 1

Shea the Sarcastic

Yesterday TJ and I finally put the finishing touches on the veggie garden by putting up "trellises" for the cukes to climb up. My heirloom smiley - tomatos that I started from seed are doing spectacularly! Hopefully I can make lots and lots of salsa this year!

Tonight we're going to enjoy our first harvest of the season. Buttercrunch lettuce for our salads!

Veggies!

Post 2

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

As much as I really love living in an apartment complex I really smiley - envy anyone with a garden. I dream of free, home-grown wholesome food smiley - drool

Veggies!

Post 3

Baron Grim

Don't envy that woman in Michigan who's looking at 93 days in jail for her front yard veggie gardens.

Veggies!

Post 4

Shea the Sarcastic

I hadn't heard about that! Is it what she was growing, or the fact that it was in her front yard?

Veggies!

Post 5

A little from column A and a little from column B
http://wp.me/p16myI-e4

Veggies!

Post 6

Baron Grim

That it was in her front yard. She put in raised beds in wooden boxes after her front yard was torn up to fix some leaking sewage pipes.
http://www.detnews.com/article/20110709/METRO02/107090366/1409/metro

Here's an article with a good picture. http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/features/gardening/2011/07/the_price_of_fresh_vegetables.html

Veggies!

Post 7

Shea the Sarcastic

That's insane! My Better Homes & Gardens magazine just had a huge spread about a couple that plants veggies in with their flowers in the front yard.

I just "liked" the "Oak Park Hates Veggies" page on Facebook. smiley - biggrin

Veggies!

Post 8

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Insane indeed smiley - rolleyes

smiley - pirate

Veggies!

Post 9

How do people get so wrapped up in their job and enforcing the rules that they can be so near-sighted and ridiculous? Do they have no idea that they're going to become a news story, and not in a good way? Some people are lazy so I can understand the city not wanting to have front gardens full of old cars up on bricks, broken washing machines and Bob knows what else (I've seen plenty of gardens like that), but someone in the office has been a little over zealous here.

Veggies!

Post 10

Baron Grim

Well, there were complaints from some of the neighbors apparently. Either way, it reeks of pettiness.

Veggies!

Post 11

It absolutely does. If the neighbours are petty enough to complain about it and she wins her case, I foresee some weedkiller being used in the middle of the night smiley - sadface

Veggies!

Post 12

Baron Grim

Or some fire ants brought in from Dale Gribble's basement. smiley - laugh

Veggies!

Post 13

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I feel bad for the lady. Having good neighbors is one of the greatest blessings of life. My former neighbor grew tomatoes and zucchini and was always offering me vegetables.

I intend to eventually grow vegetables, but not this summer. For now, I have huge pink coneflowers, yellow coreopsis, black-eyed susans, and bright pink superbells. They smell heavenly. I'm even seeing honeybees. smiley - ok

I have to be careful around the bees, but their attention is focussed on nectar and pollen, not me. smiley - smiley

Veggies!

Post 14

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

The authorities must be busy chasing smiley - pumpkinsmiley - pumpkinsmiley - pumpkin from people's front porches around thanksgiving smiley - headhurts

smiley - pirate

Veggies!

Post 15

Baron Grim

Nope, those would be "suitable" which means "normal".

Veggies!

Post 16

broelan

Dead, rotting veggies on display = okay.

Fresh, wholesome, growing veggies on display = criminal.

smiley - huh

Veggies!

Post 17

Some vegetables and herbs would fit in beautifully in any flower garden. People grow sage [Salvinia] in planters. Pea blossoms and bean blossoms are beautiful.

Veggies!

Post 18

Baron Grim

Yes, but all the yards should all look just the same...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONEYGU_7EqU

Veggies!

Post 19

They aren't all the same in my neighborhood. Coneflowers, lilies, and blackeyed susans are the most popular. I have two of the three, but I also have coreopsis, superbells, and some wildflowers that I'm very fond of. There are little purple asters with yellow centers in front of my house. There's yellow clover. There's white clover, which the bees adore. There's a little blue chicory, with its fantastic blue flowers, which the goldfinches perch on sometimes. I don't have any milkweed, but there's some in other yards. Butterflies use milkweed in every stage of their lifecycle.

Veggies!

Post 20

Shea the Sarcastic

Here's what I've got in my garden so far.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2064909915443.114000.1625635789&l=ab29a3f259

I don't have pictures of the veggies.

Key: Complain about this post