A Conversation for The Vegan Section

where is everyone?

Post 1

Expendable Antithesis

As a newbie to h2g2, I was hoping for more vegans to abound.

Where is everyone?

Furthermore, we need to get more information out there about veganism and the truth about it.

where is everyone?

Post 2

vegantoo

Hi - I'm vegan too. I was hoping there'd be a few more of us around too! Have you been vegan for long? I'm a relatively recent convert (since 2am 8th January) but been vegetarian for 18 years or so. I'm in the process of helping a friend (recently met through being vegan) to research and write a guide to eating out for vegans in our area - in the hope that, by getting more of us together to eat out as a group, we may have some influence over persuading local establishments to include vegan stuff on their menus. Any ideas/tips? We have a yahoo group but want to set up our own website too.

where is everyone?

Post 3

Expendable Antithesis

I've been vegan for only a bit over a year and was vegetarian before then.
I've volunteered with Farm Sanctuary and did some petitioning to outlaw pig gestation crates in Florida.
While I was with Farm Sanctuary, they ran many campaigns. One of the ones that was going on while I was there was the anti-veal campaign. It was rather successful - all they did was make a packet of information about what happens to veal, and sent it out to restaurants. Included in the packet was a form agreeing not to sell veal. If a restaurant wouldn't reply or wouldn't agree not to sell veal, at times a protest would be arranged outside of the restaurant.
Informative, right? Sometimes that's too in-your-face for people, especially people that like remaining ignorant of where they get their food. Peta, though they can be very very contraversial, is an incredible source for information. There are a lot of vegan sites, but Peta is especially for direct action and starting vegan/vegetarian groups.
Where do you live?

where is everyone?

Post 4

171750 Baggyfish

Hello I'm one too! It's lovely to see more of us it's been very lonely.
smiley - smiley I'm having some computer difficulities so may not be around much until I get it sort out.
Great to see us all smiley - smiley
I'm in south of Uk. Veal creats were a big campaign at Shoreham docks, don't know if you heard anything about it? It was a few years ago now.
Glass of soya milk any one! I still have 7 litters to drink by 17-5-02!
gGt a load free it's the fresh stuff too.

where is everyone?

Post 5

vegantoo

I'm in the UK too - in the Midlands. Is anyone keeping a count of how many of us there are? I think I now know more 'virtual' vegans than real ones - which wouldn't be difficult! I only have 3 vegan friends.

where is everyone?

Post 6

Janet_EIS

Three vegan friends? Wow! I've only even MET one vegan knowingly!

I've been vegan for two years now, but was vegetarian for 18 years before that.

Hello all!

where is everyone?

Post 7

HVS

Just a thought, why don't you all write a collaborative entry on veganism? smiley - smiley

where is everyone?

Post 8

vegantoo

I've met 6 more real vegans!!
We've started holding monthly coffee get-togethers at a local cafe that does great vegan food (excellent rhubarb and strawberry crumble!) The first month 2 new faces turned up and the next time there were another 4. There are more of us out there than I thought!
There must be more on here too.
What do you think of collaborating on a guide entry? - there's not a lot there so far.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more