This is the Message Centre for Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

My UCAS Personal Statement

Post 1

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

Oh well. My UCAS form is now complete, ready to be sent off.

I'm bloody scared.

Still, there's nothing I can do now. I can't make them remove the phrase "Emily has a most interesting sense of humour" from my reference. You, however, can have a laugh at my section 10 if you like:

"At present I pursue a varied line of study, embracing both the arts and the sciences. Although I enjoy all areas of my studies, I find English Literature to be the most stimulating; last year I was awarded the school prize for my subject. I enjoy the analysis and discussion of all types of literature, and read widely. At present I hold a particular interest in the dystopian genre; I am fascinated by the moral implications of the status of the individual within these texts, and so I chose to explore this concept as part of my A-level coursework. An active member of my school Literary, Debating and Shakespeare Societies, I also enjoy writing; I contribute to my school magazine, as well as writing creatively. Dramatic work is of particular interest to me; I have written several pieces for school drama societies, as well as entering a script in the "BBC Talent" competition for sitcom, as this is one of my favourite genres. I am anxious to develop my skills as a writer, as it is my intent to pursue a literary career.
In addition to my studies, I also participate in a wide variety of extra-curricular activities, both inside and outside school. I am very much involved in both music and drama; I sing in several school ensembles, as well as playing the viola in my school Symphony Orchestra and the Birmingham Schools’ Concert Orchestra. Last year I travelled to the South Bank Centre in London with the latter ensemble to participate in the "National Festival of Music for Youth" competition, an experience that I found to be most enjoyable and valuable. I participate in drama both on- and off-stage; at present I am involved in designing the set for a school production of Arthur Miller’s "The Crucible". I am finding this a fascinating project as having studied the text in class, I am now faced with the challenge of translating the author’s written directions to a three-dimensional space.
As a result of my general interests and reading, I have developed a wide-ranging general knowledge. I believe that this is valuable with regard to my everyday study, but I also employ it competitively as the captain of my school’s "Schools’ Challenge" team. Outside school, I ice-skate on a regular basis, practising both free-skating and ice-dance; I intend to take my novice figures and dance tests later this year. I enjoy skating very much, finding it a most exhilarating form of physical activity, as well as allowing me to relax from academic pressures.
I have a passionate interest in the visual arts, in particular drawing and painting, and consequently I am taking Art and Design as a fourth A-level. I enter my work into competitions, and have been highly commended in the Society of Amateur Artists’ "Junior Artist of the Year" award; earlier this year one of my paintings was selected for exhibition in the "ISADA 2000 Millennium Art Exhibition" at the Mall Galleries in London, whilst another is to be exhibited in Birmingham as part of the "Art in Schools" initiative.
At university I intend to continue my study of English Literature, broadening my knowledge and appreciation of the subject as well as honing my critical skills. I find great satisfaction in the study of literature as I enjoy exploring the various possible interpretations of a text, as well as considering the issues raised within them; through such analysis, one can gain insights into the value of a work to different audiences, as well as appreciating the capacity for personal expression through the use of language. I firmly believe that I would benefit from the challenges and opportunities offered by study of the subject at such a level. I also hope to pursue my extra-curricular interests, and that I can contribute to university life as a result."

Post 2

Hagi, Muse of Free Kicks and the Naming of Non-Human Objects

Gosh! you certainally are a buzy little beaver. You did neglect to mention Blackadder in the statement. My advisor from school said it was important to get a reference to blackadder or Falty Towers in it as these are the two most widly watched British sitcoms amongst University lecturers and it would add a personal touch that would mean that they remember your application. Oh well too late.

Post 3

Archangel Tweetie (01/06/02...)

Blimey- there's a bit of information my guidance teaacher would never in a million years allow me to put in...
I have until Friday to finish mine smiley - sadface Well, actually it's mostly done, I've just got to check a few things. But I hate my personal statement smiley - sadface

Post 4

Sod them - if you really think it's important, and it's not too stupid, put it in.

Would you post your statement here, as is, Tweetie? Pleeeeeeease?... smiley - smiley

Post 5

Where are you applying?

Post 6

Errrm, let's see- St Andrews for three different courses, Dundee, Edinburgh and Durham.
My personal statement? OK- are you ready for this?
Throughout high school, English has been the subject I have most enjoyed and excelled in. I have long been interested in studying English, in order to stretch my capabilities and explore more complex aspects of the subject. I believe I am suited to this kind of degree due to natural abilities in both reading and writing, coupled with an analytical mind. I also hope it will help in finding my way into journalism, apart from allowing me to study aspects of both subjects I have previously enjoyed.
Thanks to my work experience at an optician's practice- involving cutting and fitting lenses, and updating record cards- I have developed certain abilities. As part of the job is an ability to process a large amount of instructions quickly, I have become a good listener. Due to the delicate nature of the work, problem solving and using my initiative are also essential skills. Since 3rd year I have held a position as a library prefect, which involves helping younger pupils and assisting the librarians. This has further developed my skills in listening and problem solving, as well as requiring computer literacy as many pupils make use of the library's large number of PCs. Last year I volunteered on the school's paired reading programme, and while reading with my partner and assessing his performance I furthered my skills in speaking and listening. Diplomacy was also an important skill for this activity as it occasionally became necessary to criticise his performance. One of my most rewarding activities last year was helping to produce the school Yearbook. This taught me how to work both independently and in a group, as we collaborated on certain articles and worked alone on others. Apart from this, I occasionally had to utilise skills in managing others, if we were in charge of an event or article. Working on the Yearbook also utilised a natural tendency I have to work best when I work to a deadline. I hope to further these skills this year by working on the talking newspaper team. This is a project, run by the school, in association with the local newspaper, which produces an audio newspaper for blind people. I hope that this kind of experience will allow me to join the production team for a student publication in university. Up until last year I was also an active member of the choir, which was important in improving my skills in teamwork and communication.
My interests outside of school have also been invaluable to the development of my capabilities. Since a young age I have been a strong reader, an ability I feel will be useful to my degree. I enjoy many genres of writing, and always strive to read a variety of material. I also enjoy reading and watching plays, and have been a great fan of Shakespeare since childhood. It has been a great privilege to spend many holidays in Stratford-upon-Avon, where I have been fortunate enough to see four of Shakespeare's plays at the RST, greatly strengthening my love of his work. Along with this love of theatre, I also have a passion for music.I have capitalised on this love by learning how to play the piano, and am entirely self-taught. Being well motivated, I still play almost every day, and keep learning new material on a regular basis. With this love of the performing arts comes a natural passion for film. During the summer holidays I utilised the knowledge stemming from this interest to gain a job writing DVD reviews for a newspaper on a major community website I work on. Along with this column, I also write an observational one on the experience of being a sixth year. Apart from this role as a columnist, I volunteer on this website as an Assistant Community Editor (ACE) welcoming newcomers and helping them to find their way around. To perform this responsibility effectively requires a basic technological ability, and a good knowledge of two mark-up languages. Apart from this, it requires me to be reliable and committed to the project, use my initiative and work as a part of a large team.
Because of my enjoyment and ability in English, I believe I would be well suited to a degree in this subjects. The interests and activities I have pursued during high school, and a long-term goal of a career in journalism have served to strengthen this belief. Moreover, I believe my sense of independence and of self-reliance have been built up, along with developing my ability to work in a team and interact with others. Therefore I am confident that I will be able to adapt to, and enjoy university life.

Post 7

Abi

Keen to get into St Andrews are we Tweetie? smiley - smiley

I think that they are good personal statements. Tweetie you might want to add something about writing for the Guide, as h2g2 is a chaotic mix of content / community! smiley - smiley

Post 8

Abi

Actually forget that - its not my place to say what you should put.

I was just thinking about how you could say that you are used to your work being edited or something...

I will shut up! smiley - smiley

Post 9

I got my acknowledgement slip from UCAS today; bloody hell - they're actually reading my form now... help... smiley - sadface

Post 10

Morgan

They'll be most impressed, Emily, don't worry. Even though you missed out the bit about wanting to travel the world and work with children smiley - smiley

Post 11

Shoot, Abi, I got here too late smiley - sadface
Submitted the form yesterday, although it probably won't be sent until after the holidays now...
It was actually quite fun- a few friends were with me in the library submitting theirs at the same time, and we were all round each others' computers each time one went out, going "WOO HOO!!! IT'S GONE!!". Then we went over to the common room to play cards and drink serious amounts of caffeine.
It kinda took away from the yikes factor smiley - smiley

Post 12

Martin Harper

Relax - they're both good - better than mine, which was so overenthusiastic it seemed to imply that doing the course I applied for gave me wet dreams at night and I'd shrivel up and die if I didn't get in... I had to admit in the interview that I'd gotten a touch carried away when I was writing it... smiley - winkeye

{of course, I wasn't applying for English anything, so this was acceptable... smiley - smiley }

Post 13

*grins*
Well I was applying for English everything, so mine had to be good (thank you BTW) smiley - smiley
The chances of my getting an interview for anywhere other that Durham are slim to none- Scottish universities don't really go in for the interview process as a rule... I'm just hoping I'll be able to avoid one for Durham too. Otherwise I'll have to travel all the way down there, and probably end up staying overnight smiley - sadface

Post 14

Thanks, Lucinda... *snigger* smiley - winkeye

I'm applying to Durham for English too, and Oxford, which means (hopefully - or not?) that I'll get interviewed there. Here's my list:

Bristol
Durham
Edinburgh
Manchester
Oxford
York

Post 15

Martin Harper

snigger all you like, but I got in, didn't I?...

*blows a huge raspberry in Emily's general direction*

Post 16

I was actually sniggering at your current state of femininity. smiley - winkeye

Post 17

smiley - bigeyes
Not even gonna ask...
So you're applying to Oxford, huh? I vaguely considered it, but decided it was too far from home, and I didn't really wanna get involved...
That's two out of six applications in common then Emily...

Removed

Post 18

Morgan

This post has been removed.

Post 19

Merci bien... unfortunately, as most of h2g2 will know by now, I'm allergic to alcohol, so that's one technique I won't be trying.

So, Tweetie: you may have to put up with me in the flesh, with all my necrophiliac readings of Twentieth-Century classics!smiley - winkeye

Post 20

Martin Harper

Does that mean you'll be a necrophiliac reading 20th century classics, or you'll be reading necrophiliac themes into them? Or both? smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post