A Conversation for L'hotel Chrome

The Telegraph Office

Post 1

Lintilla

[You enter a small corner room on the first floor of the hotel.
Oil lamps are lit, and a telegraph operator, Lintilla, is sitting on a cushy stool, surrounded by several keys. Ingoing and outgoing messages are stacked in seperate bins on the desk. The telegraph office has two main lines....
-One line runs through time, it gives researchers stuck in the past a way to reach the guide.
-One line runs through space, delivering telegrams all over the H2G2 community.]

*Lintilla looks up and smiles as you come in*
Hello, How may I help you?

The Telegraph Office

Post 2

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

the link on the hotel main page for the telegraph office just takes one to the main page, ie www.h2g2.com, you need to get that fixed.
I'd like to send a telegram to jac1636, who is currently in Toronto but normally in Florida and occasionally migrating between the two.

I presume it is the usual price per word?

oblivion.in.forest.STOP.toad.approaches.dawn.STOP.fly.through.clouds.STOP.hat

thank you

The Telegraph Office

Post 3

Lintilla

I'll be sure to pass the word on to chrome that the link isn't working, thanks for pointing that out.
The charge is per word.
I'll send it right out;

..... -.... -.- --- -... .-.. .. ...- .. --- -. .. -. ..-. --- .-. . ... - .-.-.- - --- .- -.. .- .--. .--. .-. --- .- -.-. .... . ... -.. .- .-- -. .-.-.- ..-. .-.. -.-- - .... .-. --- ..- --. .... -.-. .-.. --- ..- -.. ... .-.-.- .... .- - .-.-.

good thing I don't need to understand the messages sent smiley - smiley
Thank you for stopping in Ændr, come again!

The Telegraph Office

Post 4

Chrome101

*pops his head round the door*
Don't worry folks, the link is now fixed. I see you've already got your first customer, keep up the good work.

The Telegraph Office

Post 5

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

um, I need to send another one, this one is to Abi

.-- .. .-.. .-../-.-. --- -. - .- -.-. -/-.-- --- ..-/.-. ./- .-. .. .--. --- -../-.-. --- .-.. .-.. . -.-. - .. --- -./
.--. .-. --- -... .- -... .-.. -.--/ -. . -..- -/.-- . . -.-/
.-- .... . -./.. .../-.-. --- -. ...- . -. .. . -. -

well, as a Guide I learnt morse smiley - smiley
and semaphore, but that doesn't really work typing smiley - winkeye

The Telegraph Office

Post 6

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

in case you were wondering, jac1636 normally is jac1958 here for some reason and is U108131 but he's not be online much recently

The Telegraph Office

Post 7

Lintilla

I had been wondering about the jac####.
Both of your telegrams are out!

BTW, good way to write it out... hadn't thought of the ///'s, In RL I rarely write the dots and dashes down on paper any more. Infact I usually use a different code than morse, but I know morse just in case.

The Telegraph Office

Post 8

Lintilla

*a telegram comes in over the line and Lintilla takes it down.*
This is for you, Ændr;

pretty sure that most of next week is free STOP let us know which day you have got in mind STOP the red light on traffic lights means STOP

The Telegraph Office

Post 9

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

Hi, I need to send a reply to Abi
I'm using numerics in here too by the way

-.-. .- -- .--. .. -. --. / .---- ..--- - .... /
...- .. ...- .- / ----. - .... /
-- .- -.. / -- . . - .. -. --. / .---- ----- - .... /
- .... . .-. . ..-. --- .-. . / -- --- -. -.. .- -.-- / --- .-. / - ..- . ... -.. .- -.-- / -.. ..- .-. .. -. --. / .- ..-. - . .-. -. --- --- -.
..-. .-. .. -.. .- -.-- / .- ... / .-.. .- ... - / .-. . ... --- .-. -

the slashes are the way I was taught to separate words
I use other codes too - ogham and semap as well as phonetic alphabet
pigpen occasionally but that's just semap
also international signal flags
my camp blanket is going to have my nickname on the back "Mad Hatter" with M in English, A and T in morse, D in ancient Greek, H and T in signal flags, A in runes, E in semap and R in Ogham

The Telegraph Office

Post 10

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

Oh, btw, if you ever need someone to man the telegraph, I am trained, just a bit out of practice for speed

The Telegraph Office

Post 11

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

just wondering... why 56K?

The Telegraph Office

Post 12

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

Sorry, it's me again. I need to send a telegraph to Pandora, user U112375
message follows

off.camping.12th.to.19th.August STOP can.you.take.care.of.Kitty STOP let.me.know.soon STOP Ændr

oh, and I'd better pay you for those telegraphs
will you take payment in kind?

let's see
10+12+17+17
that's 66 words
here, I baked 66 cakes, will that be okay?

*puts 4 baskets of cakes on the counter*

The Telegraph Office

Post 13

Lintilla

Okay, your messages have been sent and through this amazing telegraph line I even sent the letter "Æ".

I would love an assistant telegrapher, but just on the weekends. Most weekends I am running a real station and I dont have access to a computer (the original problem that inspired me to launch this office).

56K?? I have no idea where you got that from.smiley - smiley

*eyes the huge stack of cakes that have been presented to her.*
Yumm. Cakes will work as payment anytime.smiley - smiley

The Telegraph Office

Post 14

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

quoting post three... your morse

..... -.... -.- --- -... .-.. .. ...- ..
56K O B L I V I

you see, now where did the 56K come from ?

The Telegraph Office

Post 15

Lintilla

at my station in RL, when were using morse 56k is the key for "first telegram from new station". We have alot of short codes like that..sorrysmiley - smiley

The Telegraph Office

Post 16

Pandora

Pardon, Lintilla. Hello, wonderful place you have here. May I please send a return telegram to ®ndr? : Kitty welcome for Aug. dates. STOP
Will need feeding instructions. STOP Looking forward to care of Kitty. STOP Pandy
I don't quiet understand your money here, so please take what you need plus a 25% tip for yourself. Thank you. Now that I know how to find you, I may be in need of your services in the furture! G-Day!

The Telegraph Office

Post 17

Lintilla

*lintilla sit down to her tapping*
got your message out pandora, the price is per word. Basically I'll take one of anything for each word.
Thanks for stopping in, come again!

The Telegraph Office

Post 18

Lintilla

Telegram for Ændr;

--- ..-. ..-./ ..-. --- .-./ .-- . . -.- . -. -../
-.-- --- ..- .-./ .- -/ -.- . -.--/ - .. .-.. .-../ -- --- -. -.. .- -.--/
.... .- ...- ./ ..-. ..- -./ smiley - smiley

The Telegraph Office

Post 19

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

you typed "your" not "you're"
okay, I'm at key.... this should be fun smiley - smiley
I guess if I need to send a reply to Pandora, I will have to charge myself.....

The Telegraph Office

Post 20

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

reply to Pandora

-.- .. - - -.-- / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -... .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .- -.- . ... /
.--. ..- - / -.-. .- -.- . ... / .. -. / ..-. .-. . . --.. . .-. /
--. .. ...- . / .... .. -- / --- -. . / -.-. .- -.- . / .--. . .-. / -.. .- -.-- / ... - .. .-.. .-.. / ..-. .-. --- --.. . -. /
- .-- . -. - -.-- / - .... .-. . . / -... --- .-- .-.. ... / --- ..-. / -- .. .-.. -.- / .--. . .-. / -.. .- -.-- /
--. --- .- - --..-- / -- .- .-. . --..-- /-.. --- .-.. .--. .... .. -. / --- .-. / -- .- -- -- --- - .... / .- .-. . / ..-. .. -. . /
.... . / .--. .-. . ..-. . .-. ... / - .... . / .-.. .- - - . .-. / - .-- --- /
-... --- .-- .-.. / --- ..-. / ..-. .. ... .... / --- -.-. -.-. .- ... .. --- -. .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / .- - / .-.. . .- ... - / --- -. -.-. . / .--. . .-. / -.. .- -.-- /
-... --- .-- .-.. / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -.-. .- .--. .- -.-. .. - -.-- / --- ..-. / ... .. -..- / .-.. .. - .-. . ... /
-.- .. - - -.-- / .-- .. .-.. .-.. /.- .-.. ... --- / -... .-. .. -. --. / .... ..- -- .- -. / -.-. .- -.- . /
- .... .- - / .. ... / ..-. --- .-. / -.-- --- ..- /
-- .- -. -.-- / - .... .- -. -.- ...

Key: Complain about this post