Dark Side of the Goon

Entry: Surviving a Phoenix Summer - A12305161
Author: Gradient - cdedbdii? - U181676

Work that peer review magic

A12305161 - Surviving a Phoenix Summer

Post 2

Pinniped

Good onesmiley - ok

Interesting, but sounds an intolerable place to me.

"Favorable" towards the end should become "favourable".
Temperatures in Fahrenheit we'll have to take a (not) rain check on. Celsius is preferred but not obligatory, but I guess it depends on how readers can interpret the numbers. For me, 43 would be impossibly hot, but the original 110 doesn't really mean anything.

Post 3

Dark Side of the Goon

Hmmm.

It works t'other way here. As a compromise, I will try and get my head around the Entity tag so I can do the 43 C (110 f) thing. I'll also fix the spelling. Sometime I forget which side of the Atlantic I'm writing for.

Post 4

McKay The Disorganised

Sounds like Hell to me.

So why do people stay there ? Are they dragged in kicking and screaming as a punishment ? Why do people tolerate it ?

smiley - cider

Post 5

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I wonder if you've ever come across this, lurking in the nether regions of the Flea Market A858008

Y'know, I could have sworn we had an edited entry about swamp coolers.

Post 6

Dark Side of the Goon

BH - I hadn't come across the Rain in Tucson entry. In fact, though, I *have* found an EG entry on surviving in hot weather that covers most of the information I had for this one.

So the current plan is to make this *much* more Phoenix specific and throw in a bunch of places to go when it's hot etc etc.

So, the question is...do I pull it from PR while I do some additional research?

Post 7

Dark Side of the Goon

McKay - good questions.

I'll try to answer them.

Post 8

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Normally I'd say no - leave it in PR. But since you're going to be substantially changing the direction of the entry and since this PR thread is so short and probably won't relate too much to the new one, I think you can pull it from PR and resubmit later.

Post 9

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

The question is why don't people move to somewhere with proper weather ?

I'm wondering if the US was founded by a heating / air con company.

South of New York, and including said city it seems impossible to function without air-con for 5 months of the year

Virginia and north and there are feet of snow in winter.

Britian may have a fair bit of rain (though apparently Essex is dryer than Nebraska), but at least the temperatures are sensible.

Post 10

teri_whoo_77 *Goddess of Whoo* American Ambassador to the Council of Thing (Slightly Odd, Mostly Mellow, Rather Risque)

WRT to Surviving a Phoenix Summer - I would recommend that you include the extensive use of misting systems to make outdoor living bearable in all but monsoon seaon, that you can't throw a stone without hitting a pool, and that our long summer days (rounded average of sunrise ~ 5:30 am / sundown 7:30 pm) gives residents an extended period of daylight to do recreational activities outside of the heat of mid-day.

There are several reasons that people live in Phoenix (as someone who is a long-term resident, I feel qualified to expound on this thought)....

Housing is relatively affordable and the job market is very robust (2.5% unemployment).

While it does get almost intolerably hot in the Summer months, this is balanced by the fact that 8 months of the year the weather is beautiful. It rarely drops below 45 degrees F (7 degrees c) in the deepest of winter.

It is an outdoor lover's paradise with lakes, mountains, hiking, biking, camping, archeological ruins, and a great deal of natural beauty to help pass the time.

There are 5 major sport teams (all with air-conditioned stadiums), significant concert venues, theatres, museums, and any type of night club to suit one's fancy. (We do lack diversity in high quality restaurants though.)

Key: Complain about this post