A Conversation for h2g2 FAQ: Your Journal

Time Travel

Post 1

Researcher 203637

One of life's mysteries. Is it possible? If tommorrow never comes, how can we travel into something that isn't there? The past HAS happened but where to?

Time Travel

Post 2

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

The only thng that Time Travel has to do with Journal Entries is the possibility of traveling to the past and posting in your journal, and your former past self reading it and thinking "Hey, I didn't write that! What's going on?" OR you traveling to the future and your future self saying that OR traveling to a point either before or after H2G2 existed or will exist (for tense corrections, consult Dr Dan Streetmentioner's book "the Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations") and not being able to access your Journal Entries.

I think you meant this to go into the normal Guide, and not as a conversation about Journal Entry FAQs.

smiley - towelNerd42

Time Travel

Post 3

Nate

So what sort of stuff do you put in a journal. Is it like a diary that everyone reads or just random thoughts

Time Travel

Post 4

Martin Harper

Whatever you like. But you don't have to write anything if you don't want to...

Time Travel

Post 5

Frank E. DaFixa

are you or are you not traveling thru time as you live your day to day existance?

Time Travel

Post 6

Martin Harper

Time is travelling through me...

Time Travel

Post 7

Nate

sounds kinky

Time Travel

Post 8

Martin Harper

smiley - tongueout
Clean your mind out with soap and water, Nate... smiley - winkeye

-Lucinda

Time Travel

Post 9

Nate

sorry one track mind sometimes smiley - smiley

Time Travel

Post 10

Blue

Stephen Hawking was once offered a bet worth a years subscription to Playboy magazine that Time Travel would be possible one day. He refused the bet on the grounds that the person making the bet may have just travelled backwards through time simply to make the bet with him.

You can read into that what you will.

Just a thought smiley - smiley

Time Travel

Post 11

Nate

thinking about that makes my brain hurt

Time Travel

Post 12

Old Bogus

At least it seems like a good track! (Never mind Lucinda whose stuck on a siding.)

Time Travel

Post 13

Researcher 211979

Time travel is a way of life ....Is when you go to work and take yesterday evening with you...but it is also when you get home and bring your work home even just in thoughts
Is when you forget your keys while you ve just geven them to your partener...and so on.
I time travel all the time I just have to want it!!!!!
What do you think?

Time Travel

Post 14

Researcher 235824

Well I time travel a lot
I use a device for it which seams to be an "old alarmclock"
Althoug i don't notice it myself other people often blame me of beeing late. While i often think it's much to early to go to work.

The main problem with this is, from my point of view;
How Do I explain that to other people who don't have a so called "old alarmclock" (and thus do not now the side effects of these devices) ..) that i have no problems with my time at all. That from my point of view time is normal, but they start just a bit to early.

Well lets allign with my "PC clock" and go home early today.

Time Travel

Post 15

Hotblack Desiato : Bwarm! Brawm! Baderr! ! something...

Abstract concept time! Like beauty in a painting, like something being scary. It's different to all of us, I may like to think of a cyclic process, much like water, where we are in one position and the water flows past us in the stream, we know about the stream but we don't know about the sea, the clouds or the rain!

You may like to think BS!!!!!!!

Random Quote Guild and Time Travel

Post 16

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

"Great Scott"

Dr. E. Brown

Post 17

tonemonkey(Steve Cooper, of BLiM fame (?!) contact me!)

Was Dr brown refering to Billy connoly or to William Wallace? I think we should be told.

Time travel is possible in the home, I log on to this website for 5 minutes, log off and an hour has passed. You don't need lightspeed you know!

Post 18

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

B2TF 1,2&3

Post 19

Hotblack Desiato : Bwarm! Brawm! Baderr! ! something...

Surely you're not recomending all three films? The first = funny, clever and got enough people thinking about things other than popcorn (toffee coated for me). The following two fell down the slippery slope of making a few bucks at the expense of streching an idea. Admittedly, the sequels were written into original script... something like "No Marty, it's your children...."

If only I could go back in time and persuade the script writters not to include it!!
smiley - run

Time Travel

Post 20

Euphoric One - I can bend minds with my spoon

Okay, here's what I know about the theory of relativity (and I admit I am a bit of an ignoramus in this area, but I know some): The faster you go, the slower time goes. After a certain amount of acceleration, you reach the speed of light, at which point .... time stops and your mass is infinite. Unless you are (a) a light particle/wave (some debate on this one), (b) a wormhole (further debate, but they do exist in subatomic form!), or (c) enough of an anorexic that you have no mass.

Supposedly, and this is where I potentially begin to lose my thread -- that is, I think I am exceedingly brilliant for understanding this but it is, in fact, rather more likely that I'm so stupid that I don't understand why it's impossible -- supposedly, if one could maintain a wormhole and make it rather less subatomic .... you could take one end of the wormhole, accelerate it beyond the speed of light (at which point time would start to reverse itself), let it come to a halt, walk through the end you kept with you, and end up at some previous point in time.

Someone help me out here. This is something I've thought over quite thoroughly for quite a while, but I don't know enough to contradict myself or prove myself right. Oh well.

smiley - cool

Key: Complain about this post