A Conversation for h2g2 FAQ: Your Journal

Time Travel

Post 101

mereside3

smiley - biggrinAs every positive has a negative every acid an alkali etc as you can go out into space to infinity so can you travel inwards to infinity see you around.


Time Travel

Post 102

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

I had a very clear dream about the invasion of the Falklands about 2 or 3 weeks before it happened. Is that a kind of time travel?


Time Travel

Post 103

mereside3

What about the vortex theory this must align itself to time travelsmiley - ale


Time Travel

Post 104

The-Dragonsinger

Way back at the beginning of this thread two assumptions are made.
1) Time is linear.
2) Time was created at the same time as our universe.
Now I aint certain about No 1 but is certainly how my brain (allegedly homo sapien) perceives it and is not designed to see it any differently. This does not mean it is linear. Now I know this is The Guide but there are other authors out there and one who does time travel pretty well is Terry Pratchet and I recommend “Small Gods” where we meet Lu Tze the history monk and the philosopher Didactilos who summed up everything in the succinct theory “What the hell, sometimes shit just happens”. Also “the Thief of Time” and “Night Watch”.
Even the original guide mentions the cold soup and general mish-mash of everything theories.
However if our brains are programmed to assume time is linear we will never escape from it. We need to think outside the box, BUT, first we need to admit that there is a box and we’re in it.
Try this one as an exercise: We assume that we will be alive and functioning tomorrow and the day after tomorrow (possible tragic exceptions being those on death row and terminal hospices). Now tomorrow I will remember today, recreational chemicals or alcohol permitting, and the same goes for the day after tomorrow. Therefore if I will be able to remember tomorrow the day after tomorrow, why can’t I remember tomorrow today since it’s already in my consciousness stream?
In fact it’s possible we can but our brain has got to make us function in the here & now so it censors any timeline information so that we are not so busy looking at future events that we don’t, for example, drive up the arse of the truck in front. There may be some leakage and so we get soothsayers, predictions and dream warnings. Insurance statistics show that when a major mass transport or building accident occurs there are fewer people involved than would be expected. Has anyone studied this facet of 911? It would be interesting.
Point 2 is a fun one. No matter how infinitesimal, the time taken to start creation of our universe was time therefore it existed before the universe did. So we are left with the question where did it come from? Does this mean that time is not in fact a dimension but a state or property? Is all of this crud or is it worth pursuing? For all you Einsteinians out there here is a little conundrum, where does it say that C is the limiting factor is it not possible that time is limiting the speed of light? This doesn’t mean that e=mc2 is wrong but I don’t see time in there and anyone who says it’s implied this is not a valid answer. I don’t have the math to check this but some of you quadratic jugglers out there could have a look because I am aware that a theory can be wrong.

I’m stopping now ‘cause my brain hurts.

Hey Hotblack is the Bwarm!Brawm!Baderr the opening bars of Smoke On The Water?


Time Travel

Post 105

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

What if there's no time, no universe, if it's all an illusion? Where does that leave us?
"We are such stuff as dreams are made on" to quote the Bard.


Time Travel

Post 106

freezer_burn53

The Matrix


Time Travel

Post 107

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

Waiting for Godot


Time Travel

Post 108

The-Dragonsinger

Just an illusion? So who or what is having the illusion?


Time Travel

Post 109

freezer_burn53

"...there is no spoon. It is only your mind that bends."
smiley - teasmiley - cakesmiley - bubbly


Time Travel

Post 110

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

Whose hand stirs the cosmos;
winds the clock?


Time Travel

Post 111

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

Ay, there's the rub,
For in that sleep what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause.


Time Travel

Post 112

rockyvalley

But there is the conundrum.....could an infinite mass reach the speed of light? An infinite mass would require infinite force to accelerate to the speed of light. It seems infinitely clear that for massive, i.e, anything more massive than a photon, the speed of light and therefore time travel is impossible.smiley - wahsmiley - runsmiley - wah


Time Travel

Post 113

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

maybe it's the doppleganger effect makes the light go crazysmiley - erm


Time Travel

Post 114

The-Dragonsinger

At the occurrence of the Big Bang (or gnaB giB if there is an opposite/negative universe) everything was used in the event. So the question is, was the infinite mass achieving lightspeed the reason for the event?
My Brain STILL hurts.
Dragonsinger


Time Travel

Post 115

bobstafford

Sounds ok so far but is there a return ticket or is this a one way ride


Time Travel

Post 116

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

And what happens when the Big Bang Universe and the gnaB giB esrevinU smiley - hug as it were?


Time Travel

Post 117

speakeasy007

Time is a man-made concept - there is only NOW.
Einstein's Theory of Relativity was only a 'theory'.
Time travel does not exist - it's not factual.
So there you have it - 'time' has been fashioned by mankind.
There is only NOW.smiley - run


Time Travel

Post 118

TuRbOAzZa

Tomorrow neverf comes, so dont watch Annie


Time Travel

Post 119

Captain Future Past

veryily possible


Time Travel

Post 120

FordsTowel

If time travel doesn't exist, who wrote the history books that I thought I read and from where did they get information about the non-existent past?!

I've been traveling through time from the moment I was born. Granted I only travel forward, and only at a pace of one second per second, but it's travel just the same.

smiley - towel


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more