A Conversation for h2g2 FAQ: Your Journal

stupidity

Post 81

Làré

yes from what I gather it has..but I wasn't sure if it has/d been brought into the conversation..as far as the demographics go I would say perhaps there is something of concern in the stats you offer..excactly what I have yet to determine but defintiely worth a conclusion or insight ..n'est ce pas ?..let's not be hasty or a tad
presumptuous
back atcha
L8R

stupidity

Post 82

Miguelito

I must disagree with the statement that misunderstanding leads to stupidity.

If one misunderstands something, one may, in time, come to understand it by using other available means. Example: you are given a pair of running shoes. You put them on and run. The shoes come off of your feet. You don't understand why this happens and you think that the shoes are defective. It's then pointed out to you that you must tie the laces to keep them on your feet. You tie them, run, and realize that they are staying on your feet. You now understand how to keep them on your feet and the misunderstanding is cleared up for you.

However, stupidity may lead to misunderstanding. Being stupid makes it less likely that one will ever completely or correctly understand a process or procedure or concept. Using the shoe example, if you are stupid, you will not tie your shoes and they will continue to come off of your feet. Your stupidity prevents you from understanding the cause and effect. You will always think the shoes are defective.

The solution? Buy shoes with zippers! smiley - smiley

stupidity

Post 83

Làré

try Velcro...it doesn't snag or rust...
you can (if bored) pick out the lint
and use is in a creative weaving class

stupidity

Post 84

denqui-otee

Ignorance is generally a good substitute.

stupidity

Post 85

denqui-otee

Actually, it's only kind of a substitute. Sometimes people do stupid things that they know better than to do. Sometimes they make a stupid decision when they have the brains to figure out a more clever one but don't want to be bothered (which is pretty stupid). I think this is what we're seeing in the political, economic, social arenas these days. And there's good old fashioned just plain raw stupidity.
Ignorance is just a lack of information, and doesn't reflect on how well that information would be handled. Willful ignorance is probably the same as stupidity, or at least it works just as well. And there's a lot of that going around as well. It's actually seen as quite an endearing quality in a leader by an alarming percentage of the population of a certain super power that shall remain unnamed. smiley - erm

stupidity

Post 86

littlemusic_lover

I just want to see if a stupid person like me can figure out how to make a stupid comment.smiley - ale

stupidity

Post 87

helga danielsen

Dear, if you feel you are stupid, just make any comment! Well, I couldn' resist that! But seriously now, it would be a shame if you really thought so.

stupidity

Post 88

littlemusic_lover

Just in certain situations do I feel stupid, Thank god for that.

stupidity

Post 89

helga danielsen

Don't we all. I think only the intelligent people sometimes feel stupid(and admit it)! The really stupid people think they are intelligent. Isn't humanity just plain crazy?

stupidity

Post 90

ShadowlandsWriter

Ah, but according to the guide, the population of the universe is zero. (Finite number of populated worlds/infinite number of worlds = close enough to zero as to make no odds,(or something close to that) I believe).

This, I believe, proves that stupidity isn't necessarily associated with life forms. It must be a sort of universally present ether.

stupidity

Post 91

AtkinsSJ (No, I'm not dead)

AHA! I think stupidity is the second most common element.
Nothing is the first, because nearly all of space is a vacuum, and there's just nothing in a vacuum, therefore nothing is the most common element in the universe!smiley - biggrin

stupidity

Post 92

Marshall_R

As with "cat-proof", "fool-proof" is not really possible. Anyone living with cats will tell you that best one can hope for is "cat-resistant"; So, with fools, "fool-resistant" is prob'ly the best that can be achieved...

stupidity

Post 93

dustyhiker46

Yes, grasshopper. But the hawk sees the field and then the mouse.

stupidity

Post 94

Cepghefian

Stupidity couldn't be plentiful for it doesn't last forever. Eventually we become knowledgable about things and we become less stupid.

stupidity

Post 95

Làré

how stupid of me to forget that I forgot I was stupid..silly really
Làrésmiley - smiley

stupidity

Post 96

fundamentallyflawed

Every person on the planet, and indeed many other planets, does something stupid at one point or another. So I'm wondering, does a stupid action quarantee a stupid person? Or are intelligent people allowed the occasional mess-up, so to speak?

(Please let my spelling be mistake freesmiley - winkeye)

stupidity

Post 97

AYAAAME

ya i know how u feel!!!! but i suppose everyone ele is right coz u actually thought about such a stupid thing!!! but hey, i guess im stupid too coz i did the same thing!!smiley - biggrin

stupidity

Post 98

AYAAAME

ya i know how u feel!!!! but i suppose everyone ele is right coz u actually thought about such a stupid thing!!! but hey, i guess im stupid too coz i did the same thing!!smiley - biggrinsmiley - winkeye

stupidity

Post 99

N.Z.Grins

One little word with a huge lot written about it. Every thing is studip to some-one. It's like the addage "what's rubbish to 1 is treasure to another" so it is with stupidity, how long will this conversation go on for?? Will there be any real result?? Wish I knew.
Hard for me as I live upside down, down under.

stupidity

Post 100

Egnarts

i agree that stupidity is the most abundant "thing" in the universe but not the galaxy ..smiley - dontpanic... i would say ignorence tops the cake.

Key: Complain about this post