A Conversation for FU on tour. Part 2: The intergalactic years

Ain't It Cool News - a load of old bollocks?

Post 1

withnail20

One of the most famous sites on the net - and also one of the most irritating. I can think of only one positive thing to say about Lardass Harry Knowles: he killed Batman and Robin stone dead. But the site itself is attrocious and Knowles reviews read like the droolings of 13 year old boy.

Post 2

Datta

Not entirely fair: Knowles knows his stuff (if not his grammar or spelling). I don't read his reviews because they're generally pretty useless, and the AICN idea of what films are worth reporting can be pretty exasperating. BUT, I do use AICN to see what's in the pipeline (although its much less use than it used to be for this), and Moriarty is always worth reading, though I often disagree with him violently.

Unsurprisingly enough, AICN has gone downhill since it went pro, eighteen months or so ago I considered it an obligatory daily visit. I still go a lot, but find less and less to interest me.

Post 3

SpankTM

Harry's kind of limited in the kinds of films he can report on - after all, it's aint-it-cool-news, not goodness-thats-artistically-fulfilling-news. (I'm off to register the URL right now, so don't even think about it.) Some of Harry's contributors aren't too bad, and Moriarty's roundups are indeed pretty useful. I keep accidentally following those links to the forum for each article, however, and they always seem to be entirely populated by twats.

Post 4

Barquing

I'm in two minds about his site. The preview stuff is quite interesting, but the fan-boy blathering is really anoying - I mean, have you read his recent review of Flintstones 2? The film may well be a masterpiece (unlikely) but his saliva drenched review would have put me off anyway (he loved it, by the way).

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more