A Conversation for FU on tour. Part 2: The intergalactic years

Catching Up On Video (tour version)

Post 1

Barquing

Saw Jimmy McGovern's "Heart" last night. One of the silliest films I have seen in ages. I mean, would you honestly organise a surprise party for a man who has just had a heart transplant? Not to mention Christopher Eccleston in ludicrously hyper-intense mode and everyone else looking embarrassed.

quite funny, but for all the wrong reasons.

Post 2

gillian

Heart- haven't seen it myself like but isn't the music really awful with every tune being something to do with the heart. Heard it reviewed on Front Row when it came out and when they went on about this aspect of the film it reminded me of a really bad Kenny Everett sketch set to the word of All of my Heart by ABC..."maybe someday you'll walk in the room with my heart" you know the bit...and Cleo Rocas walks into the operating theatre and goes up to a rabidly mugging Kenny with a pulsating heart. Though I doubt Mr McGovern would have got the idea from there...

Brass Eye

Post 3

gillian

Cheers Richard, got the tape today! it will be returned as soon as..hang on you haven't put your address on- let me know what it is. can't wait to see cake again.

Post 4

withnail20

Right, in at last - finally located a computer that is hg2g friendly. Hello everyone and thanks to Barquing.

I saw Heart too. Quite liked it. If it's supposed to be a Jimmy McGovern self-parody. Surely it is. I'm getting heartily sick of Christopher Ecclestone though - every film he does the same huffing, puffing, ranting loony routine. Talk about a 1 note actor.

I endured WildWild West recently and although clearly its complete rubbish it's better than the Star Wars film which I could endure only an hour of. It is just gut wrenchingly boring isn't it? I was expecting Jar Jar to be irritating, terrible dialogue etc but I wasn't expecting it to be so flippin' tedious. Amazes me that kids like it. Maybe they should re-release Tarkovsky's Solaris - if they can get kids not to fall asleep during Phantom Menace, maybe Solaris should be re-marketed for the under 10's....

Post 5

withnail20

Errr...I'm Withnail, by the way...

Post 6

withnail20

Ahh.. That's better.

Post 7

Barquing

You made it!
I asume that link didn't work properly then?

Post 8

withnail20

No, didn't seem to. Roomfull of vacant computers to choose from now though as the students are off on their Easter holidays...

On the video front I watched Among Giants the other night. Pete Postlethwaite excellent as usual but it's all so very slight and forgettable....Also saw the splendid Fight Club on tape. Maybe loses some of it's clout on the small screen but still an excellent, undervalued film. Works very well (and very differently) on a second viewing....

Post 9

sezzy_boy

I finally got round to watching Existenz.

That's it. can't be arsed writing a review.

Enjoyed it though. I think.

Post 10

Datta

Managed this weekend to pry myself away from my desk for long enough to realise that all my mates had buggered off for the long weekend, so put in a double video rental bill late on Saturday night. Mulan, which was rather mediocre by recent Disney standards (though the bad guys were baaaaad) and Office Space, which I recommend, if only for the spot on hip-hop soundtrack and the Goodfellas/Fax machine scene.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more