This is the Message Centre for bobstafford

Is this coming to the UK

Post 1

bobstafford

New French Driving Law (In force todaysmiley - bluelight) will it come to the UK; The fine and points will apply to UK drivers in UK registered vehicles The DVLA will add them smiley - grr

smiley - bluelight

smiley - ale Alcohol limits are 0.5g/l, roughly the equivalent of 1 small glass of wine = €4,500 fine + 6 points

smiley - ale Alcohol limit of 0.2g/l for new drivers who have passed their test within the last 3 years = €4,500 fine + 6 points

smiley - cdoubleBeing under the influence of drugs = €4,500 fine + 6 points

smiley - bigeyesWatching a screen which is not a driving aid (e.g. watching a DVD): €1,500 fine + 3 points

smiley - thepostManipulating (i.e. texting or talking on) a mobile while driving = €135 fine + 3 points

smiley - magicUsing headphones (note that this applies to all road users including cyclists): €135 fine + 3 points

smiley - somersaultNot wearing a seatbelt = €135 + 3 points

smiley - sigh Smoking with a minor on board = €68

FINE ONLY (at smiley - bluelight discretion)

smiley - drool Driving whilst eating a sandwich smiley - burger

smiley - handbagSearching in the glove box, bag or handbag

smiley - shhhListening to loud music that will interfere with you hearing the normal road noises (and at night with the window open)

smiley - kissApplying make-up, even in a traffic jam

Is this coming to the UK

Post 2

Icy North

Thanks for those, Bob.

I guess you still need to carry one of those self-test breathalyser kits too?

Is this coming to the UK

Post 3

bobstafford

Glad to help. A self tester might be a good idea smiley - smiley

You off to France soon? have funsmiley - ok

Is this coming to the UK

Post 4

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Sounds reasonable?
They have a point system in Germany, too. But no idea how much you get for doing which things.

New drivers here are not allowed to drink any alcohol at all. They are still debating the things about smoking with kids in the car.

And I just wish they would do something about people with too loud music... smiley - erm

Is this coming to the UK

Post 5

Icy North

Hey, if it's too loud, you're too old smiley - smiley

Is this coming to the UK

Post 6

bobstafford

Or have young children who should be asleep smiley - winkeye

Is this coming to the UK

Post 7

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

>> smiley - thepost Manipulating (i.e. texting or talking on) a mobile while driving = €135 fine + 3 points<<

Only 3 points? Only €135 fine?

I use a mobility scooter, which has a maximum speed of 3mph, and was replying to a text in Kew Gardens. Just a short text, of about 5 words, and was within 2' of hitting a ruddy great tree!

I personally feel texting is worse than drink driving. Someone who has been drinking is concentrating really hard on driving, and to appear sober, so is possibly more in control than the driver who is craftily texting on their device, on their lap so as not to be detected. And it is not a small number. Here in London it is endemic. I've seen drivers turn right off of Kew Bridge on the South Circular, texting.

Personally I'm for the above. And yes, cyclists should be included. And if they don't drive, then carry the points over, in case they do get a license.

Just my smiley - 2cents

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Is this coming to the UK

Post 8

Icy North

I've always thought young women are better and safer drivers than men of their age, but the number of young women I see texting on the motorway shocks me. There must be a way to get through to these people.

Is this coming to the UK

Post 9

bobstafford

MMF you are so right it should be much harsher its an even worse offence in town (a slow traffic habit), but blue tooth ear pieces have also been banned in France the English driver needs to look out.

And they do hide behind trees and bushes they don't play fair sometimes

Is this coming to the UK

Post 10

bobstafford

No Icy they are as bad or worse

Is this coming to the UK

Post 11

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Texting while driving seems to know no barriers of age or gender. smiley - erm

Is this coming to the UK

Post 12

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-33378386

it all depends if the judge is in an happy moodsmiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post