A Conversation for Cigarettes

quitting

Post 1

loud

I've tried dozens of attempts at quitting - mostly half heartedly, but finally managed to get off the demon weed by using the combination of the drug Zyban added to serious guilt from my non-smoking Significant Other.

The nice thing about using Zyban to quit is that the drug was originally marketed as an anti-depressant, therefore allowing you to be happy throughout the lovely withdrawl process.

There is no nice thing about the SO inflicted guilt smiley - winkeye

The only failsafe method.

Post 2

Zebedee (still Pool God after all these years)

Very, very simple. You have to actually, really and truly want to stop. Not "Oh, I think I should quit for my health" and all that bollocks, but to actually realise that you don't enjoy smoking and don't want to do it anymore. Then it's easy.

P.S. For the sake of remaining the life and soul of the party, the occasional herbal alternative in a suitably debauched environment is acceptable, but this is the only exception.

P.P.S. Apart from a big fat cohiba on New Year's Eve and the odd wedding reception.

P.P.P.S. I haven't had a cigarette since I decided to quit on 4th June '95, so it does work.

The only failsafe method.

Post 3

Sorry, 5th June 95 - embarrassing typo, that one.

There is no perfect method!

Post 4

Epsilon

Because every SINGLE human being is different there can be no method or formula that works for everyone. Willpower is something we all have in different amounts and that determines to a large extent how soon we can quit.
But people with a lot of willpower seem to think 'If I can quit it must be easy'. Not so. I quit fags 12 years ago but I know how difficult it is for others. All I can say to them is hang in there!

Post 5

It wasn't without temptation, I just think that most people who try to quit aren't entirely convinced that they want to. My experience suggests that it was easier for me than most, but in the end it boils down to making a promise to yourself and having the strength to keep it.

I also phoned my Mum immediately to tell her I'd just quit, so I couldn't go back on that.

Which might, or might not, be of help.

Post 6

Epsilon

Calling your mum was a nice touch! However I've lied to my mum (shame!shame!) before and had to go back on my word. I see how telling her could be of help.

Allen Carr method

Post 7

Frances

I'd been smoking for over 10 years when I read Allen Carr's book. It makes you WANT to give up. It puts it all in perspective and you realise you are not making any kind of sacrifice, so no willpower is required. You have to go and buy it IMMEDIATELY.

Check out:
http://www.qwerty.co.uk/allenbkp/

Quitting IS easy.

Post 8

Robotron, formerly known as Robyn Graves and before that, GreyRose

Quitting smoking IS easy. You just have to have the right conditions.

1.Ideally you have 3 to 5 days that you don't have to be anywhere near anyone who is smoking.

2.You need a non-smoker to keep you company, and keep you from running out to buy cigarettes.

3.You need something to keep your mind occupied. Movies aren't a good idea, since almost every movie has at least one scene where someone is smoking.

If you can meet all these requirements, you will be able to quit smoking. The hard part is not picking it back up.

Quitting IS easy.

Post 9

Robotron, formerly known as Robyn Graves and before that, GreyRose

And I agree with Zebedee, that you have to really want to quit for it to work. I am 21 years old and I have quit smoking twice. The first time was when I was about 17, and my mother made me quit. (That is where I got my method for cessation.) But, since I didn't want to quit, I started smoking again a few months later. The second time I quit was when I was 19, and this was after two early morning (midnight to 2am) trips to the emergency room, for accute asthma attacks. This time I didn't need anyone to help me quit. I was so sick for about a week, that I couldn't even eat, much less smoke. After all that, I decided that it would be better for me, to just not start again. And I haven't, but it is hard. I couldn't go out for about a year, I wanted to smoke so bad. I felt defensless against the world without a cigarette in my hand. I can go out and enjoy myself now, but I still want to smoke everyday. I just don't do it.

quitting

Post 10

Camp_Freddy

Good for you. Since this article was compiled, more cessation aids have arrived, of which Zyban (Bupropion) is as far as I'm concerned the best. Others include the 'inhalator' a cigarette shaped hunk of plastic with pellets containing a volatile form of nicotine. You breath through the inhalator and nicotine is absorbed in the mouth. It is good if you like the feel of a cigarette in your hand.
Next is the microtab. . .a small tablet which you place under the tongue, again nicotine is absorbed through the mouth. These both work by replacing nicotine to reduce the pharmacological craving. Zyban is different, it works in the brain on dopamine receptors reducing the mental craving for nicotine. You smoke for the first two weeks and then gradually just don't feel the need any more. It works in conjunction with regular support, e.g meetings with the Dr or counsellor etc. It is 30% more effective than nicotine patches and I hope to get some soon!!

quitting

Post 11

Ormondroyd

I tried nicotine gum. I tried self-hypnosis. Both failed. But then I quit with the aid of a wonder remedy... POVERTY!!! Coupled with the level of taxation the UK government applies to cigarettes, it's amazingly effective! smiley - winkeye
Seriously - being very broke forced me to cut down more and more. From 10 a day, it's not too hard to cut down to five a day, then three a day - and then to make your ashtrays redundant. smiley - smiley

quitting

Post 12

I can't believ how much a pack of fags is now - last time I bought some they weren't much more than £2. I must have saved a few grand at least and I'd love to know where it's all gone!

Beer, probably.

Key: Complain about this post