A Conversation for The Irving Washington BooK NooK

Book Club 11: The Phoenix

Post 41

Phil

Over the weekend I was out browsing round a bookshop and came across the Far Horizons book as a UK hardback. It did mention a paperback edition as well so there's hoep I might yet get the book smiley - smiley
The other thing I looked out for was a copy of Legends, as discussed above. What I found there was more interesting. As I thought the book I got was just half of the stories I could have got. There is a second version, edited by Silverberg, byt with different stories. The only author I can remember is Terry Pratchet who wrote a Granny Wetherwax short for this book. The reason I remember this is that the cover is in the style of the discworld covers smiley - smiley
So I suppose I'd better buy this one as well so I've got the set but first I've got to finish all the other books I've not yet read...

Post 42

Redbeard (Thanks to all who supported The Celery!))

Legends is actually an anthology published in three paperbacks. smiley - smiley

Legends 1: Stephen King, Robert Silverberg, Orson Scott Card, and Raymond E. Feist

Legends 2: Terry Goodkind, George R.R. Martin, and Anne McCaffrey

Legends 3: Robert Jordan, Ursula K. Le Guinn, Tad Williams, and Terry Pratchett

Post 43

Phil

Well given thet neither of the copies I looked at had numbers on.

In the introduction Silverberg talks of the 11 writers who've contributed stories. Counting the numbers up for the two books gives a total of 11. The authors of the copy I have are; Stephen King, Terry Goodkind, Orson Scott Card, Robert Silverberg, Ursula K. Le Guin, Raymond E. Feist. and the others are featured in the other book.
This is of course in the UK, other places may differ.

Post 44

I see. The 3 book version is USA, so it may be published in a different way even though the stories are the same.

Post 45

Phil

Guess so. It was interesting to see that the publishing info in the Far Horizons book also mentioned a paperback edition. Perhaps they did the first run (hardback and tradecovers) as a single volume and then split the antholgy into two or three seperate books.

Post 46

Munchkin

Anyone know who I send book reviews to? For the Post type thing?
I'll try and catch up on what you have been discussing soon, and then say somethig banal and uninteresting. smiley - smiley

Post 47

Phil

Ask Courtesy38, he had one of his reviews published recently. I think it's beeblefish who does the Book Club page in the post.

Post 48

Courtesy38

Munchkin, just send the review to [email protected]

Phil, thanks for reading my review, hopefully it helped a little.

I'm currently reading a Visual Basic book, and figuring out how to write the review of it for the POST smiley - smiley

Courtesy

Post 49

Phil

Hopefully I'll have a go at writing a review when I've finished my current book. I'm one of these old fashioned sorts who reads the whole thing before deciding if it was worth the effort (unless it's so bad/hard).

So to keep the conversation mooving, how many books have you got that you haven't actually read?
I've currently got 8 down here right now, ranging from The Dilbert Principle, to A Canticle for Leibowitz, though mostly of the latter variety smiley - smiley

Post 50

Courtesy38

Let's see, books that are waiting to be read.

My latest magazined of Fantasy & Science Fiction
The June edition of Scientific American
The Integral Trees by Larry Niven
Forever Free by Joe Haldeman

Plus several books that can't really be read cover to cover,

Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu
The Three Pillars of Zen
The Analects of Confucious
and The Logical Approach to Chess (for all the Chess Club Members out there <evil grin&gtsmiley - winkeye
I'm currently going through the Teach Yourself Visual Basic in 21 days for work.

Courtesy

Post 51

Phil

Ok then lets see...

A Canticle For Liebbowitz (probably the next one as it seems quite good so I should read it quick)
Catch 22
Legend (ed Robert Silverberg)
Revenge Of The Rose
Byzantium Endures
The Oak and The Ram (the last 3 by Moorcock)
Soul Music
The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail
The Dilbert Principle

Post 52

Munchkin

There is only Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson unread, but I am reading both Mother London by Michael Moorcock and The Naked God by Peter F. Hamilton at the mo', and am skint, so can't buy any mor for a bit. Luckily smiley - smiley
Oh and I highly recommend Canticle For Liebowitz. The sequel ain't so good, but the first is cracking.

Post 53

Phil

Mother London is great. It does take some getting used to, the way the narrative moves from time and place in a non linear way though.

Post 54

Ioreth (on hiatus)

shameless bookmark

Post 55

Courtesy38

Hello shameless bookmark smiley - winkeye and how are you doing? Read any good books lately?

Post 56

I would imagine it's hard to read books when you're a bookmark. The only pages you get to see are where you're placed, and then they close the book and it's too dark to read. smiley - winkeye

Post 57

Ioreth (on hiatus)

I just read "their eyes were watching god" for school which was good. Next up: Oedipus Rex.
Also on the way. Communist manifesto and other major works on communism. From atoms to quarks, a history of atomic science. Les miserables. A hebrew book.
Pink floyd on the radio! yes!

Post 58

Princess Bride

I am a huge Anne McCaffrey fan. Her books range from space to psychic talents to dragons to nearly anything in the sci-fi/fantasy world. i also like Terry Pratchett. And I have just found a new book by Anne McCaffrey this year-- very exciting as I am always looking for new books by her.

Post 59

Fashion Cat

ok.. just a newie here, so dont shout too loudly if i get it all wrong! smiley - tongueout

I'm currently devouring the third book of the otherland series by Tad williams... I was so desperate to read it I actually bought the hardback version, I couldnt wait for it to come out in paperback.... (it goes against the grain bying hardback... i'm a student u see smiley - smiley)

Another set of books I'm pouring through at the mo is the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter Hamilton....

Both sets are very good reads....

Post 60

Beeblefish

Welcome Fashion-cat to our little corner!

I empathise with the student/hardcover dichotomy!

I havent read any Tad but I know many people who are quite obsessed with his work.

have some coffee as I run around dusting things off .. the big move has made some of the plaster fall down -

-----> C|_|
~Beeblefish smiley - fishsmiley - tongueout

Key: Complain about this post