A Conversation for Predicting the Future

DNA

Post 1

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

That's Deoxyribonucleic Acid, the basic building block of life, and not to be confused with DNA, the basic building block of this site. DNA will grow in its role as a crime fighter, replacing fingerprinting as the preferred method of identifying criminals. The governments will build databases of DNA samples in much the same way that they have built fingerprint databases, and a telltale hair or skin cell will place people at the scene of a crime. The process of creating databases has already begun in the US, where military members have been forced to give samples under the guise of identifying bodies of slain soldiers. Expect criminals to be next, followed by other government workers.

DNA

Post 2

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

This would be much more amusing to read if you hadn't explained that you meant the chemical, not the man. Oh, and when you say "Expect criminals to be next, followed by other government workers." what exactly are you implying?

DNA

Post 3

I'm implying that the systematic cataloguing of DNA will become mandatory for people booked and jailed, just as their fingerprints are taken now, so will their DNA samples be taken soon. And fingerprinting is required for many government jobs besides military, so I believe they will be next. Of course, the debates will rage long and hot over this, since people fear a 'Gattica' society, but in these seemingly benign ways, the government will be able to succeed with their plans.

DNA

Post 4

You made it sound like the criminals were government employees.

DNA

Post 5

Criminals are government employees, or hadn't you heard of Congress? smiley - winkeye

DNA

Post 6

Ahh, I see now that it was a grammatical error that caused so much confusion. When I said other government workers, I meant it as other than military.

DNA

Post 7

Are criminals government employees, or are government employees criminals? smiley - winkeye

DNA

Post 8

Yes, I'm good at taking things a tad too literally. smiley - bigeyes

DNA

Post 9

Afgncaap5

Yes.

DNA

Post 10

Afgncaap5

I predict that as time goes on, it will eventually be impossible to distinguish between the two.

DNA

Post 11

smiley - smiley

DNA

Post 12

Prez HS (All seems relatively quiet here)

Oh come now people!
Why must we always think so little of our society's criminals? They can't all be THAT bad.

smiley - smiley

DNA

Post 13

IAmATrampAndIDanceLikeAFrogInABlenderAndILikeIt

if they wern't bad criminals they would not get caught

DNA

Post 14

Yes, the ones who are really good at it stay at large longer.

DNA

Post 15

C Hawke

BTW back to the original subject, non UK researchers would have missed our Home Secretary (in charge of the law and stuff) announce yesterday that he wants ALL people charged with imprisonable offences DNA tested.

Therefore I don't think this prediction should be allowed as it is already here smiley - smiley

Chris

DNA

Post 16

It should be allowed if gargleblaster posted it before having known about it.

DNA

Post 17

C Hawke

Mmmmm Interesting.. there are many predication I can make no without full knowledge, mostly to do with Alcohol, New Year's eve and memembers of the opposite sex. DO they count? smiley - smiley

Chris

DNA

Post 18

Wow! I am a genius...and I am proven right instantly! I'm almost afraid to make another prediction...no, wait I have another...the Miami Dolphins will win the Super Bowl this year! smiley - winkeye

I had no prior notice of this Brit dude and his intentions to test criminals, for what it's worth. First off, I probably made this post before he made his announcement, and secondly, I can't be bothered to keep up with the local news, much less that from overseas. smiley - winkeye

DNA

Post 19

Crescent

Now that is American smiley - smiley

DNA

Post 20

HigherGround

Hey, I resent that. I'm an American and I keep up with Brittish news. Then again, I'm living here, and I've lost all sense of what's going on at home. Did they ever impeach that one guy?

Key: Complain about this post