A Conversation for The GuideML Clinic

CSS

Post 1

ChiefNautilus

Is it possible to write CSS into a personal space? Firefox and IE both have trouble reading my font tags.

CSS

Post 2

J

Nope. You've got to use GuideML, unfortunately. smiley - smiley

smiley - blacksheep

CSS

Post 3

ChiefNautilus

That was quick! Do you know what fonts H2G2 supports?

CSS

Post 4

J

A1130211 is a good page for that.
I don't know all of the fonts that GuideML supports, but it has the basic ones... if you have a particular one in mind, you can always use good old trial and error smiley - smiley

I'll try to find a page with all the fonts.

smiley - blacksheep

CSS

Post 5

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Jodan is right, you can't define fonts using CSS in guideML.

There are two ways of looking at a Personal Space. If you see it as a place for you to be - a home on h2g2, if you like - then by all means use unusual fonts if you happen to have them on your computer.

If, however, you see your space as somewhere other people come to find out about you, use fonts that most people will have on their computers. If you specify fonts they don't have installed on their machines, their browsers will just substitute a default font.

I suspect very few people will have the fonts you are currently specifying.

smiley - ant

CSS

Post 6

ChiefNautilus

Thanks, that's really helpful of you.smiley - smiley

CSS

Post 7

SEF

Jim Lynn added the facility for plain skin to have an external CSS. That's not quite the same as writing it into your personal space - more your personal details. Although some style stuff does or did work in PS's anyway.

CSS

Post 8

Ah, I simulposted.

In response to post 3, it's not a case of what fonts h2g2 supports but of what fonts users have installed on their computers.

CSS

Post 9

ChiefNautilus

But the fonts do not load on my computer either in H2G2. However they do load when I put them on my own webpage using CSS.

CSS

Post 10

What happens if you use the font tag in your webpage instead of css?

CSS

Post 11

Actually, looking at your page, the text is displaying in Times New Roman for me. A browser issue rather than a tag or h2g2 issue, perhaps.

CSS

Post 12

ChiefNautilus

I've found the problem. For some reason, H2G2 only reads fonts with the extension .TTF

The other fonts I tried were .FON or .ttf
...but I don't understand why the capital letters make a difference when they are both True Type font files!

Anyway, I can keep this in mind for my Space and I'll put in some common fonts so that other users don't have to deal with Times New Roman.

Thanks for all your help.smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post