A Conversation for Jaffa Cakes

jaffa cakes - cakes or biscuits?

Post 21

Jeffery the hyper-intelligent guitar

you must have left them in a good keepinng place...

Post 22

good plan (not a member of the denial club at A638589)

they were left in a used coffee mug.

Post 23

Eeew! Didnt they get hairy? Eeeewww! I hope U didnt munch them afterwards. EEWWWWW!!!

Post 24

only for like, a day jeffery. and of course i ate them, did you think i would let perfectly good jaffa cakes go to waste?

Post 25

Yeh but if they're not perfectly ok... and you only left them for a day? Hmmm...

Post 26

Mel the Proud, Saver of Flies and Moths and Keeper of the Spangly Rock

I am distressed that this conversation is the life and soul of H2G2.

Post 27

She is right... H2G2 is dead! No one is talking... I hereby stop using H2G2!

Post 28

don't do that, i'm sure there are lots of good convos out there, probably. hmmm, yes well. my point was the brilliance of jaffa cakes anyway.

Post 29

Researcher 200711

what a pointless topic.

Post 30

manda1111

Sorry to butt in on your conversation, but if
Researcher "200711"
would go back to there own page and then click on the "EDIT PAGE" button and then write a little something about your self, as this will activate your page and then a ACE can come and welcome you there properly
Sorry for interrupting your conversation smiley - ok

Manda smiley - magic

Post 31

Researcher 228699

Excuse me tard, but Jaffa Cakes are cakes as the name would suggest, and they are made of sponge, another cake trademark! If a Bourbon Cream was as large as a dinner plate would it be a cake? No, it would still be a biscuit! The same applies to Jaffa Cakes!

The Defense Rests!

Post 32

unlikely

are cakes of soap cake?
are rolling pins pins?

plus there are loads of cakes that don't involve sponge but are still called cakes

jaffa cakes are in the biscuit isle in the shop.

Post 33

devilish_uk

Glad someone finally raised the issue about where you find Jaffa Cakes in a supermarket.

Functionally, they are biscuits, not cakes. They are always eaten alongside a cup of tea (probably), and as such fulfill basic criteria for being a biscuit.

If you fancied a bit of cake, even just a small round bit, you wouldn't immediately turn to Jaffa Cakes. But, if you fancied yourself a bit of biscuit (maybe to go along with that cup of tea), a Jaffa Cake might well fit the bill.

So - technically cake, but for practical and functional purposes, and in common definition of the term, they are biscuits.

Post 34

unlikely

i like your reasoning sir.

Post 35

Boylio

It has to be a cake. For a start it is made of sponge and, more obviously is called a jaffa CAKE. Not a jaffa biscuit.

The fact that it is considered a biscuit is down to supermarkets who foolishly place the wonderous Jaffa Cake in the biscuit isle. I say we campaign against this absurdity!

Post 36

Seargent_Heartman

smiley - cake I think not! you can dunk them in your smiley - tea

Post 37

unlikely

you so can!

Post 38

pinksparklykizzy

I would agree that they are indeed cakes for all the clever reasons you have given only I think McVities themselves are a little confused. On the box (obviously) they are referred to as cakes, but the word biscuit appears a few times on the packaging.
Just a weird thing, wondered if anyone knew why this happens?!!?

Kizzy x x x

Post 39

datafreek

the soft/hard issue is irrelevant in determining the nomenclature of baked articles. Any abandoned baked edible, be it biscuit, cake, cookie, or even a slice of bread, will strive to reach an equilibrium with its surroundings. For the case in question (jaffa cake) the most noticeable characteristics which change over time are temperature and humidity. Due to the fact that the cake has not been eaten, but abandoned (this circumstance occurs very rarely in nature)we may observe:

that if a freshly baked biscuit with low water content, say 0.34 percent, is left somewhere with a high relative humidity, say Borneo, it will gain moisture and become soggy.

if a freshly purchased Jaffa cake with water content of 1.71 percent (I work in a Physics lab, and was able to measure this using a mass spectrum hygrometer - destroyed the jaffa cake though - shame) is left in a very dry environment, say a kitchen cupboard wrapped in protective kitchen roll, it will lose moisture and eventually will reach the same level as it's surroundings, and will more closely resemble a biscuit in texture.

from this research several conclusions may be drawn:

1. whether a jaffa cake is in fact a cake or a biscuit is irrelevant.
2. they taste good.
3. everyone should eat them.
4. one should follow the instructions on the packet and consume within minutes.
5. If you live in Borneo, the Amazon, or Miami, keep your jaffa cakes in a sealed tin.

Post 40

~*}Black Angel{*~

smiley - erm this is top of the google list if you search for "jaffa cakes" ....

I was trying to explain to someone who didnt know what they were smiley - erm

*feels a bit weird and runs away*

Key: Complain about this post