Jaffa Cakes Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Jaffa Cakes

17 Conversations

Jaffa cakes are small cakes/biscuits (see below). Traditional Jaffa Cakes comprise a round base of hard sponge, a jelly disc which is known as a 'smashing orangey bit', and a topping of chocolate. They are quite wonderful and should be enjoyed the world over.

There are many different types of Jaffa Cakes, but the original ones were (and still are) manufactured by McVities. A new 'Jaffa phenomenon' has recently appeared in the shape of Jaffa Cubes which are manufactured by Cadburys.

Jaffa Cake fans may be pleased to know that there are societies dedicated to the enjoyment of Jaffa Cakes, including 'Huggabuga Jaffacake Appreciation Society International' or HJASI for short, based at Edinburgh University.

Jaffa Cakes: Biscuit or Cake?

The source of one of the most complex conundrums ever to challenge mankind:

Is it a cake or is it a biscuit?

These small circular sponges topped with chocolate and squidgy orange stuff have been the subject of much debate over the years. Even the British government has become embroiled in this web of snack-related intrigue. At present the Jaffa Cake is classified as a cake but the British government is attempting to get it reclassified as a biscuit. This would mean it would come under a higher tax bracket as biscuits aren't as perishable as cakes, or something technical like that.

It is not clear how much more expensive the Jaffa Cake would become should this proposal go through Parliament, but it's possible they could move from the realms of 'everyday favourite' to become more a much more exclusive item. In which case, they could end up being treated similarly to fine wines, so that in the future, small groups of Jaffa Cake connoisseurs might be found in darkened cellars discussing texture, nose, and full-bodied flavour.

Whatever happens, the Jaffa Cake will retain a unique place in the biscuit/cake market.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A185104

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more