A Conversation for A History of Computer Games

Honourable mentions...

Post 61

Damon the Demon

Yeah I had Hunchback, jumped over barrels if I remember.

Yeah I blasted anything on Elite,Took ages to get from Deadly to Elite though. I actually had an article that told you exactly how many ships you had to kill to get to Elite and it was thousands!!! I used to deal in drugs and firearms but getting docked was a bitch because the cops came after you bigtime. Did you play Elite 2? Now that was a letdown. What a crap fighting interface. Cool ships though and in colour, non of this wireframe bollox. Did you ever see the spitfire flight sim on the bbc which had you chasing flying saucers. That was crap too.

Honourable mentions...

Post 62

C Hawke

Your right about Elite 2, it sacrificed game play , for realism, lacked that certain something, played it a bit. Being able to buy bigger and better ship was cool. I always wanted a Fer-De-Lance (is that name right??).

If I remember correct in Elite you got a "Right On Commander" every 256 kills and need I think 64 Right Ons to be Elite, or some other important Hex number.

They just don't make them like that anymore, god what a boring old fart I have become smiley - smiley

Chris

Elite, Elite 2, etc...

Post 63

*grin* Another Elite freak here, although I was too young to get very far on the first Elite (seven or eight). I played Frontier:Elite 2 a lot, though, and quite enjoyed it... the imperial/federation mission system being quite neat. I can't remember what rank I reached, but my rank with the Imperial government got to the stage where they started giving me nuclear bombing missions...

The secret in Elite 2 is to know where the bugs are and take advantage of them smiley - smiley. In fact, there's quite a spectacular one which allows you to reach Elite in a few minutes...

I wonder when the first internet-based manymany-player elite-style game will be released? Can't be all that long...

Incidentally, a recent game by the name of Hardwar may appeal to Elite fans - although it's a teensy-weensy bit more plot based than I would have liked. There's a demo for download somewhere, I seem to remember...

Elite, Elite 2, etc...

Post 64

Damon the Demon

There are 2-3 ship games coming out in the next few months which will have multiplayer options. Homeworld is supposed to be very good.

In elite 2 I eventually ended up with the largest ship and about 6 crew, but cannot remember its name. I loaded half its bays up with shields so any ships that got too close blew up when they hit. but mouse driven shooting with stupid tiny icons was just terrible.

Elite, Elite 2, etc...

Post 65

It was the panther, or the puma, or something...

*grin* Large plasma weapon thingies, great fun.

Elite, Elite 2, etc...

Post 66

Damon the Demon

Yes, something like that, it wasnt a puma as that was smaller ship. It was like flying a death star with that plasma weapon, and it had these cool engines that turned around like a harrier jump jet when it took off.

Elite, Elite 2, etc...

Post 67

C Hawke

Have got HomeWorld recently, not realy a ship in space game, more Command & Conquor meets BattleStar Galatica. Resources collection, research, build stuff, shoot stuff with all your forces, visually good, but yet to get "into" it. I'm spending too much time here, oh and playing Half Life again on the hardest level.

Chris

Elite, Elite 2, etc...

Post 68

Damon the Demon

I loved Half life but only thought the soldiers were great, ie the way they pinned you down, backed each other up, threw grenades up to where you were hiding on balconies etc. then the latter alien half was crappy jumping levels rubbish much like any other 3D shooter.

Elite, Elite 2, etc...

Post 69

C Hawke

Agree with you on the bleeding jumps, kept sceaming at my PC "this isn't a bloody platform and ladders game, just let me kill things"

However today I bought the sequel (add on CD) Opposing Forces, yet to load it. Will keep you informed

Chris

Opposing forces

Post 70

Damon the Demon

Ohhhh nice
I always wanted to shoot Gordon. I hear you get a fat cop to help you out in it.

Opposing forces

Post 71

C Hawke

Fat cop found imitating Homer Simpson. Ahnd in broken sweet machine going "Mmmmm candy" I'm sure it's a direct sample!!

So far only aliens to shoot at, some jumping across stuff, more running thru heating vents and standard stuff. Nice new weapons.

I'll keep you all informed. Maybe a new thread or even article?

Chris

Opposing forces

Post 72

Sounds good to me.

So, let's take a straw poll - what computer games should I ask Santa for this Christmas?

Complete List Of All Zork Games

Post 73

Afgncaap5

Okay, there are more than seven Zork games. Here they are. All of the official ones anyway:
Zork 1-Freeware
Zork 2-Freeware
Zork 3-Freeware
Enchanter-Purchase from Activision/illegally pirate it "Surely thou shalt repent of thy cunning!"
Sorcerer-See Enchanter
Spellbreaker-See Enchanter
Wishbringer-See Enchanter
Beyond Zork-See Enchanter
Zork 0-See Enchanter
Return To Zork-First Zork game with movie-like graphics. See Enchanter.
Zork Nemesis-See Return To Zork
Zork: The Undiscovered Underground-Freeware
Zork Grand Inquisitor-See Return To Zork
Other than that, there are numerous unofficial Zork games made by fans. And let's not mention the original Mainframe Zork, or Dungeon as some may remember it. Then there are several other Infocom games which may be in the same universe as Zork (Planetfall, Journey, Lurking Horror, etc.) even though they clearly aren't Zork. Anyway, hope this clears some things up.

Opposing forces

Post 74

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Quake III. I bought this last weekend and have done little else since.

Opposing forces

Post 75

C Hawke

new thread, for new games at

http://www.h2g2.com/forumframe.cgi?forum=22118&thread=32163

Chris

Honourable mentions...

Post 76

Asynjur

Tempest - was that the one where you got impaled at the end of the round if you weren't careful?

I think it's stupid you have to have a CD in the drive for all the games now, just for the graphics. It reminds me of the computer games when you had to change from floppy disk to floppy disk years ago - I was glad when that trend went away, but now you have to change from CD to CD while you play some games, so it's the same thing all over again!

Opposing forces

Post 77

C Hawke

FYI

The name of the crap BBC game with the caveman was Frak

Chris

Opposing forces

Post 78

Damon the Demon

Yes thats it. FRAK of course.

PLayed Quake 3 whilst home for chrimble. Bloody amazing.

Honourable mentions...

Post 79

Highkick

I had Spy Hunter on my C64. With that pumping 'Blues Brothers' soundtrack it was probably one of the most addictive games I ever played!!

Text Adventures

Post 80

tsanders

(Well, this is a really old message, but just in case you never got a response)

There was a "Zork Zero" that was a prequel, still back in the Infocom games. They were starting to play with simple line graphics & colors and such.

Periodically there are "Infocom Classics" packs that are released in the US, and they have Zork Zero on them. Dunno if it's in the stores currently or not . . . .

Key: Complain about this post