A Conversation for New h2g2 Feedback

EF: Log in Problems

Post 1

Rudest Elf

I'm not panicking, but:

Despite the fact that I am logged in (and the system must know that I am - Link to 'Preferences' showing, etc), clicking on 'Preview Message' takes me to the 'Greetings unknown hiker' page as if I wasn't signed in (I signed in on another page).

Also, while I'm here, why is it that when I try to join a conversation for the first time, before signing in, I am taken away from that thread to sign in, sent to my home page, and then have to search around again for the thread I wish to contribute to? This is most annoying!

Surely, I can't be the only Researcher to report these inconveniences.

smiley - reindeer

Post 2

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I've heard of similar problems, and I think it was possible to solve. Pastey smiley - hero will know, surely...

smiley - dontpanic
smiley - towel

Post 3

Pastey

The redirect to your homepage after you've logged in is due to a very simple error in the code.

They let me write it.

Actually, it's because the current login pages are only temporary. We've got nice new designs for them, along the same theme, and they'll take you back to the appropriate place. We are working on this one smiley - smiley

smiley - rose

Post 4

Rudest Elf

Great to hear! smiley - ok

I'll bother you no more........... well, for a couple of months, anyway. smiley - winkeye

smiley - reindeer

Post 5

Pastey

Bother us any and all times you find bugs smiley - smiley

smiley - rose

Post 6

taliesin

I understand the redirect to my personal space, but what I don't get is why, if I choose to open a new page to login, then after I login, I cannot just refresh the conversation page I was on prior to logging in, and it should now indicate I am now logged in.

Does that make sense? smiley - erm

Anyway, I hope the shiny new login system will work like it did previously, and as it does on most other fora in which I participate smiley - grovel

smiley - cheers

Post 7

Pastey

It will do smiley - smiley

Post 8

Rudest Elf

Thought I should tell you that earlier today, on signing in, I was taken to a home page that isn't my skin of choice... smiley - huh

smiley - reindeer

Key: Complain about this post