A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Thursday 17 May, 2012: h2g2 Announcements

Post 1

h2g2 Communications

Technical News

Thanks to the Tech Team, Pliny now features a direct link to your conversations. When you are logged in, next to the My Space link is a button that takes you directly to your conversations.

The Tech Team has built more functionality into your conversation page, too. Specifically the "No replies" feature is back. And many of the "Latest Reply" links are working. A few don't, but the Tech Team is working on them.

If you see something that doesn't work, post a Bug Report here: A87753135.

Community News

Do you remember back when you agreed to the House Rules (A87523211)? The part that said, "We reserve the right to change these Terms and Conditions, including the House Rules and Privacy Policy at any time by posting changes online. Announcements will be made here"? And there was a link to these very announcements?

This is a calm and friendly reminder that there have been no changes. Existing policy against abusing the complaints system or harassing the staff and volunteers, already covered in the House Rules, will be enforced. Discussions about Moderators' decisions may be moderated, especially where that discussion isn't constructive. However, constructive discussions about policy matters are always welcome here: A87706713

Guide News

And speaking of welcome, a big welcome to our many Readers. Thanks for dropping by and reading all about the Raspberry Pi (A13735596), the Billy Joel We Didn't Start The Fire entries (A87706713), and practically everything you could find from Alignment in Dungeons and Dragons (A2309230) to Valid and Invalid Arguments (A821107). Thank you for using our research.

smiley - smiley
Happy Nerd
Comms Team

Post 2

Vip

Gosh, that was quick. I'll check out the Conversations thing.

Thanks, Comms!

smiley - fairy

Post 3

Pastey

Now we're on Pliny, it's quicker to fix bugs and add features smiley - smiley

Post 4

Vip

smiley - smooch

smiley - fairy

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

I'd go so far as to say "Now we're on Pliny it is possible to fix bugs and add features". smiley - applause

Post 6

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

The possibilities we have with Pliny are limitless, I am in awe of our tech team, aka Pastey. Many thanks for all your hard work. smiley - hug

Post 7

Baron Grim

Keep up the good work, folks.

As to the conversations link, I'm glad to see it's improving. I played with it a bit just now. Unfortunately, I'll be sticking with the brunel popup for now. I've made a link to it on my user page. What makes it that much better (and I do hope these features get ported into pliny) is that whether I open it as a small popup window, or as just a separate tab, it controls a dedicated conversation page and it auto-refreshes. These two features combined make navigating conversations so pleasant. I don't have to navigate back to conversations list repeatedly or, alternately, open a new tab for each conversation I view, and I also don't have to keep banging on F5 to see if there have been any new posts. When I run it as a tab, I see an asterix on the tab label when new posts are made. I click on "X new posts" link and I see the first *unread* post. Navigating to the last post in a conversation really isn't as useful as you then have to scroll up and search for the last post you remember reading.

I'm glad to see all the progress being made and I'm sure that once all the real issues are addressed (bugswatting and whatnot) that y'all will find new ways to improve the site and make conversation navigation even better.

smiley - towel

Post 8

KB

"This is a calm and friendly reminder that there have been no changes. Existing policy against abusing the complaints system or harassing the staff and volunteers, already covered in the House Rules, will be enforced."

No changes? Oh, good. No need for us to go starting hysterical threads then. smiley - winkeye

Thanks for the update - and all the work, too!

Post 9

Malabarista - now with added pony

Nobody on this site would ever get hysterical!

Post 10

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Is it also easier to add bugs and fix features? smiley - winkeye

"No changes? Oh, good. No need for us to go starting hysterical threads then" [KB]

There are probably plenty of existing threads that are suitable for hysterical observations.smiley - smiley

Post 11

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

That's never stopped us having hysterical threads before... err, historical... err... or something... smiley - dohsmiley - headhurtssmiley - run

Post 12

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - applause Good work, folks.

Post 13

Rod

Here is reinforcement for Baron Grim 's post 7. I suspect if it was Pliny only, I wouldn't bother (you at the back - there's no need to shout).

Post 14

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I just found a Pliny bug.
I just posted a reply to Bluebottles fort entry in peer review. As we often did I placed the lines I was commenting about between < ... > All looks normal on Alabaster, but Pliny strips the entire line leaving huge gaps in the reply.

BTW I miss the

hover on footnote pop-up, this was one of my favourite h2g2 features not found on many other boards.

smiley - cheers

Fsmiley - dolphinS

Post 15

Baron Grim

A87753135

Report all Pliny bugs and suggetions here.

Share & Enjoy smiley - towel

Post 16

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

re 14:

Samt thing happened to me, Florida Sailor

and to make matters worse it happened when I reported a bug smiley - rofl

smiley - pirate

Post 17

aka Bel - A87832164

Does the 'no reply' bit only show if you've posted to a thread? And why Can't I reply to the first post (I specifically pressed on the reply button there so I could reread what I was replying to, but instead it shows the last post made before mine? I haven't seen the 'latest reply', either so far. smiley - smiley

Still, it's great such progress is being made, thank you, tech team!!

Post 18

The no reply should show if you've begun a thread and there hasn't been a reply yet. If something else is happening, please report it here: A87753135.

Post 19

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

In alabaster it still w*rks the good old way: If I or a friend starts a new thread I can see if I have posted in it and how many new posts have been made since I posted (and if I haven't posted the total number of other people's postings)

And I can see the exact posting I reply to

Think I'll stay an alabastard a little while longer smiley - zen

smiley - pirate

PS: I still have to refresh my posting list by pressing my F5-button after every posting, didn't have to do that before Pliny

Key: Complain about this post