A Conversation for Glove Compartments

Peer Review: A3912419 - Glove Compartments

Post 1

Kia_Shuma

Entry: Glove Compartments - A3912419
Author: Kia_Shuma - U1494527

A glove compartment is a storage space in an automobile for keeping gloves. The purpose of which it is believed to keep them out of the way while driving. Thus avoiding gloves falling onto the floor and travelling under the seat as you drive along. Glove compartments are strangely large for their intended purpose and have obviously been designed to take gloves of the largest possible size. For the purposes of people from the planet earth, they will easily store the gloves of all the automobiles occupants.

There is also a light inside the glove compartment which allows for easy identification of gloves by passengers in the back seat when travelling at night when it is dark. They will be able to direct the driver or front passenger to the correct pair of gloves with relative ease.

The glove compartment will often have a door and sometimes be lockable for peace of mind in the event of a potential thief who may be tempted to steal the gloves if he or she sees them through the automobiles window.

The glove compartment is an integral part of every automobile and not an optional extra like air bags or anti lock brakes for example. Thus dignifying the importance placed on glove security by the automotive industry.

A3912419 - Glove Compartments

Post 2

GodBen (The Magical Astronomer) - 00000011

I love to see entries like this on subjects which you don't possibly think could have an entry. smiley - laugh

It's a little short and could do with some expanding. Perhaps you could mention other things that can be put in a glove compartment.

Post 3

frontiersman

So called 'glove compartments' have become something rather more than a storage place for gloves alone. The automotive industry has realized this for about 4 decades; so why are you so out of date? Today, glove compartments hold a Pandora's Box of spectacles in their cases, tyre pressure guages, sunglasses, tubes of sweets, detachable fronts of radios, A.A./RAC handbooks, air fresheners and window dusters. Sometimes also grandad's false teeth, girlfriend's apparel, mother's knitting, baby's dummy, spare house keys, boy's stink bombs and whatever more one can find to put in them!
In other words, they are not big enough, rather than your conclusion that they are too big.
I find that all the storage places in my (not too small) car are too small to hold what I want them to hold. All, that is, except the boot, which holds almost everything I want it to, and even to skis and longer items through the ski hatch into the car saloon.

Ronsmiley - biggrin

Post 4

Not him

and where else should your car manual be kept?

Post 5

Kat - From H2G2

*waiting to see if the author comes back before I comment*

smiley - cat

Post 6

Kia_Shuma

I think Glove Compartments could be expanded. Although what I was attempting to capture was the irony behind glove compartments. If the locus of opinion is that I include the more practical uses of a glove compartment then this I can do.

Post 7

Not him

irony by contrast? good stuff!

Post 8

DaveBlackeye

Actually, I thought the point was rather good and well made. If you are going to add a few paragraphs about other uses, I would leave the existing ones pretty much as they are.

The glove compartment on my first car contained all the nuts bolts, springs, fuses etc that were left over from when I tried to fix it. The reason being they would always be to hand if their purpose suddenly became apparent.

Post 9

FordsTowel

What we have here is a concept whose original purpose has been outmoded, perverted, or ignored; But, I really like the piece. smiley - ok

For expansion purposes, a paragraph could be added discussing all of the unauthorized uses to which the modern glove compartment is put, and all the sick "b*st*rds" who use it for anything but gloves. After all, the other stuff is what a boot is for, eh? smiley - biggrin

You could link both airbags and anti-lock brakes to entry A790319 which is on automotive safety devices.

smiley - towel

Post 10

FordsTowel

Those were supposed to be periods, not asterisks. I was, of course, referring to "B" Street Roads. smiley - ill

smiley - towel

Post 11

U168592

You still about Kia? Loads of potential here, please come back, pretty please smiley - smiley
HF
smiley - wizard

Post 12

McKay The Disorganised

I think semicolonron has missed the point - I like the entry, though Ford's point about those who abuse their designated compartment, could well be expanded to make a suitable final paragraph.

smiley - cider

Post 13

caalan21

smiley - biggrinFantastic piece, fits in well with the tone of the 'Guide'. I do concur with the other reviews, though, it would be nice to see the piece expanded.

Personally, I would maintain the 'only gloves in the glove compartment' theme, this is great...how many people actually do have gloves in their glove compartment?

Talk about the gloves, the types, mightnt the gloves have containers that the compartment must fit, or glove accessories, or .... who knows?

Great job and keep at it!smiley - biggrin

Post 14

Teasswill

I like this entry too, it's most suitable. I think it could be expanded a little without losing the irony.

The first three sentences need a little reconstruction to be more grammatically correct.

Post 15

moon182

i loved reading that, seemed perfect really.

Post 16

David Conway

Kia, please come back!!!

This entry has way too much potential to be neglected.

I think that maybe a section on "unauthorized" used of glove compartments would be a nice addition.

Owner's manuals, sunglasses, maps and other questionable objects have all been inappropriately placed in the glove compartment, instead of the owner's manual compartment, sunglass compartment, map compartment or other questionable object compartment, just because the glove compartment is more easily located.

NBY

Post 17

Kia_Shuma

I have updated the entry but it hasn't appeared in the peer review?

Post 18

McKay The Disorganised

Kia - hi.

At the lower left hand side of your personal apace - the page you go to when you sign in - there's a column headed 'recent guide entries' and under this is glove compartments. Next to it is a tag saying 'edit' (only you have this, because you're the author) Click on that and do your updates. When complete save the entry, then come here and tell us, and we'll go back and read it again.

smiley - ok ?

smiley - cider

Post 19

Kia_Shuma

thats what i did but it didn't appear.

Post 20

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Sadly, the author appears to be on the way out of the building.

Key: Complain about this post