A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What is "Bimini road"?

Post 1

KlondikeAnnie

In an article about the supernatural, I came across a reference to "Bimini road." Can anybody tell me what that is?

What is "Bimini road"?

Post 2

aliquis mirabilis (keeper of forbidden and forgotten lore)

Beginning in 1968, when an interesting pattern of natural rock was discovered underwater off the coast of Bimini, occultists began claiming that the formation was actually a road built on the site of the lost continent of Atlantis and thus was strong evidence for the existence of this mythological place.

The "road" is actually the now-submerged former coastline of the island and is made of beach rock, a concretion of shells and other debris formed in modern times. This fragile material tends to fracture in more or less straight lines and then at right angles to those fractures, resulting in a pattern of large fragments resembling an area of paved stones. Such natural formations, also referred to as tessellated pavement, are extremely common along the eastern shores of Austrailia, and almost entirely around Tasmania, where they are plainly exposed to view along the coast. For a hundred miles along the coast of Venezuela there is similiar undersea formation.

---

Yours truly,
"The Muse of Forbidden Lore"

What is "Bimini road"?

Post 3

KlondikeAnnie

If you are the "Muse of Forbidden Lore", then perhaps you could answer a few other questions for me. See the AskH2G2 forum "Questions about the Supernatural" if you're interested.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more