A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Spend spend spend?

Post 1

Who's this?

I am a recently widowed man in his late 50s. Well perhaps I might be a little bit older then that. But not much.

I have just returned from a couple of months on various hot islands in the bit between North and South America. I thought I deserved a holiday. However it appears my son does not agree with me.

He has told me quietly that he is worried that if I carry on spending at the rate he perceives me to be spending he will not inherit anything! So do I carry on doing all the things I dreamed of when I spent 40 years at a desk? Or do I live a monk like existence to preserve his future?

Spend spend spend?

Post 2

Is mise Duncan

Balls out in the breeze - spend it all.
(I assume you have an OK pension and are a home owner?)

Or you could work out the rent/food cost of raising him from 0-20 years and deduct this from his inheritance? Leave him any that's left over.

Spend spend spend?

Post 3

Bald Bloke

Why should anyone expect to inherit anything (except genes)

Enjoy it while you can, if theres anything left over at the end then your decendants can argue with the tax man over it smiley - smiley

Spend spend spend?

Post 4

aliquis mirabilis (keeper of forbidden and forgotten lore)

As for your son - "Preserve his future?" Your responsibility for your son's financial welfare ended when he became a self-sufficient adult (assuming he is).

You only live once, and when you're dead, you're done. Enjoy life while you can.

I'm guessing that somewhere inside you, you already knew the answer to your question. I think the problem is actually one of family dynamics. You love your son. You want his love and acceptance in return. Unfortunately, life isn't always fair. I wish I could tell you that there's an easy way to fix the situation.

Explain it to your son as best you can. Then enjoy life. You know you have earned it and deserve it. Do NOT live like a monk. The minute you do, you are as good as dead already.

I wish you the best of luck.

Spend spend spend?

Post 5

Zorpheus - I'm so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

Screw your son!
Greedy little pecker.

Spend spend spend?

Post 6

aliquis mirabilis (keeper of forbidden and forgotten lore)

I second that. Greedy and selfish.

Spend spend spend?

Post 7

LL Waz

LiW, are you sure your son meant this the way it sounds? Could he have been trying to find a humerous way to broach the subject of your own financial security?

I find it hard to believe a son could seriously say such a thing. If he did then spend it, spend it, spend it I say. (But sensibly of course, ie only on what will give you more enjoyment of life for a long time to come.)
Wz

Key: Complain about this post