A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Does it take a fool?

Post 1

Lotus Binaround

Does it, as the swedish popband The Ark argues in one of their latest hit, take a fool to remain sane?

Does it take a fool?

Post 2

Rainbow

YES - It's the 'Catch 22'.

Does it take a fool?

Post 3

Xanatic(phenomena phreak)

I believe that the movie Girl, Interrupted has the catch phrase "Sometimes you need to be crazy to stay sane". Kinda like the same thing.

Does it take a fool?

Post 4

Joppe_55

yes, it really takes a fool to remain sane.

problem is i'm no fool, so i'm insane smiley - winkeye

Does it take a fool?

Post 5

Jamie of the Portacabin

Surely that's a contradiction? smiley - erm

What really needs to happen here is a positive definition of both 'fool' and 'insane' too verify that they're not *too* similar in meaning. Dictionary anyone...?

Does it take a fool?

Post 6

Vakuum

Well, I have heard the phrase "Only healthy people are willing to admist their insanity"...

Does it take a fool?

Post 7

Is mise Duncan

Yes indeed - the first part of the cure is to admit that you are in denial smiley - winkeye

Does it take a fool?

Post 8

Vakuum

It get tougher from there, I think...

Does it take a fool?

Post 9

Xanatic(phenomena phreak)

I think one of the ways to know wether you´re going insane is wether you believe it. According to the experts, if you think you´re going insane you´re not. Because you still have a sense of reality to compare with, which is what the insane ppl lack. A fool is merely somebody who is unintelligent, ignorant or rather silly. And wears a handkerchief on the head, and shorts.

But insanity is a really interesting thing, because it is something that is so hard to define. For further stuff, watch Twelve Monkeys, House On Haunted Hill and read Mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft.

isn't everyone a fool?

Post 10

Joppe_55

i'd say everybody's insane in one way or another.
Because there are so many descriptions of insanity.

But, that means everybody's sane in some way or another.
Because of the many descriptions of sanity - insanity.

And if the phrase "It takes a fool to remain sane." is true then everybody must be a fool in one way or another-
because i've already stated that everybody's sane (and insane)

and being a fool implies you are insane...
and everybody is insane!!!

So the phrase must be true, proved by logic

Some might object to my logic, but hey, i'm insane - and sane!!
And so is everyone else too!!!

smiley - winkeye

isn't everyone a fool?

Post 11

Joppe_55

so.. try to rip my logic apart, i'm here to fix it again, or prevent it from being ripped

Key: Complain about this post