A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Puzzles, quizzes

Post 21

Baron Grim

Yeah, I think we had a wheelbarrow in our set too, but I can't be too sure because if it wasn't the doggie or the racecar I didn't want to play with it.

Puzzles, quizzes

Post 22

SashaQ - happysad

Funny how we have Monopoly favourites - the dog was my sister's, and mine was the top hat smiley - laugh

Today's NYT Connections was hard - homophones are difficult, because there are so many differences between accents...

I like Strands - a bit of a challenge, but not too much that it takes me ages. Very clever how the words are entwined.

Puzzles, quizzes

Post 23

Baron Grim

I don't know if it was today's or yesterday's, but I had no idea what a "sample sale" was since I don't live in, according to wikipedia "Los Angeles, New York, or other prominent places". smiley - laugh

Puzzles, quizzes

Post 24

SashaQ - happysad

Aha! I noticed that one, too! Reassuring that it is not just a UK/US difference smiley - ok

Puzzles, quizzes

Post 25

You can call me TC

Strands is a beta version, according to the page. I think they could do one more tweak, and that would be to reduce the available hints to one only. I find I am still just jabbing out words and when I've got three I just let the game do the work.

The Spangram yesterday was "yardwork". That sounds to me like a job that convicts have to do (picking up stones/sweeping the exercise yard). Apparently it means "gardening". Now I know which word I think sounds nicer....

Then I remembered a discussion somewhere on the web recently about the American use of the word "yard". It got quite heated. I came away having realised that Americans might have a garden in their yard, while a Brit might have a yard in their garden.

Puzzles, quizzes

Post 26

SashaQ - happysad

Strands is good - you can use as many clues as you can get, but it gives you a score accordingly - if you don't use any clues, you get 'Perfect!' It's like Connections - if you get it without using up spare guesses then that gives you 'Perfect!' too, so that's the challenge smiley - ok

Puzzles, quizzes

Post 27

You can call me TC

Ah, that's the point of it!??

I never wait to look at the scores. I just do the puzzles for the sake of them. Probably the wrong attitude.

I haven't signed up to any of them.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more