A Conversation for Ask h2g2

'Bad News' Post-It Note Messages

Post 1

Icy North

Why is it that Post-It notes left for you in any context always leave you with a sinking feeling?

As an example, Madame North went out for the day and left me the following, scrawled on a pink sticky note and attached to the kitchen worktop:

"Please use up the beetroot hummus for lunch"

smiley - ill

So, is this hypothesis true? Can you support it with other examples, or alternatively, has anyone ever left you good news via this medium?

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - laughsmiley - ok

I was fortunate once to get a post it note with "Thank you smiley - smiley " written on it waiting for me on my desk one morning, but more often the post it notes were along the lines of "Fix these" affixed to a pile of documents with red circles on, so I know what you mean about the sinking feeling...

These days I receive neutral ones in the mail, where the post it note simply describes the contents of the envelope, so that's fine.

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I get a sinking feeling when I see dirty dishes piled up smiley - sadface

Post 4

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I once got a Thank You post-it - - - on my then empty lunch dishes in the work-place fridge.

Post 5

smiley - laugh

Post 6

Pink Paisley

Translated into English, "Please use up the beetroot hummus for lunch" means, 'please throw the beetroot hummus in the bin'.

PP.

Post 7

I'm growing beets this year, but they won't be big enough to add to hummus for several months. I will puree them and add them t chocolate cake batter, where they are delicious. smiley - smiley

Post 8

Pink Paisley

That's just wrong.

I know people do it but sadly, I'm not aware of there being a treatment for it. Yet. I've also heard rumours of carrot and courgette being used in 'cake'.

Raspberry and ham trifle anyone?

No. I thought not.

PP.

Post 9

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Carrot cake is very tasty. And zucchini in a loaf is almost indistinguishable from banana bread. Just saying. smiley - smiley

Post 10

Baron Grim

When I was young, my mother had two dessert recipes that sounded literally inedible, yet were absolutely delicious.

Ammonia cake and vinegar pie.

Post 11

I've made beet chocolate cake, zucchini bread, carrot cake, and tomato soup cake. All were delicious. Al;l but the last one were made from vegetables that I grew. I have yet to make desserts from green beans, but there's a first time for everything.

You can also make desserts from evil invasive plants such as Japanese knotweed.
http://foragerchef.com/japanese-knotweed/

Japanese Knotweed has no natural enemies in Britain or the U.S.A., but by eating it we become enemies of a sort.

Garlic mustard is said to be tasty, too. I had some growing in my backyard....

The only pasky invasive that no culinary uses is Giant Hogweed. smiley - yuk

Post 12

Icy North

If a giant hogweed in my garden, I’d roast it.

Post 13

If you do that, I hope a team of emergency medical technicians will be standing by.

http://www.nonnativespecies.org/?pageid=152

Key: Complain about this post