A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Map sites

Post 1

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

My husband and I are finally going to be traveling to the UK during the summer of 2017, for our 20th anniversary. Since I just have a vague idea of the geography over there (and, more importantly, the relative locations of my favorite internet weirdossmiley - winkeye ) I was going to pop over to the site that we'd made that h2g2 map on some years ago, and start up a map just for the trip. That website no longer exists (so I should probably take the link off of my PS)smiley - erm

So, my question is this: Does there currently exist a website which allows anyone (preferably no membership requirement, must be free) to stick a pin in a map for all to see? It'd be even better if said pins could be labelled.

Map sites

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Good question Amy. I use maps a lot but don't know of any way to do this. Google Maps allows you to drop a pin and then share the map, but it's only one pin.

GoogleEarth lets you add locations but they have to be approved by the Google Earth community before they are visible to everyone.

Map sites

Post 3

Deek

I don't know if this fits the bill but there is a similar location map at the bottom of this web page. Scroll to the bottom. ZeeMaps

http://www.orcadventures.co.uk

Sorry I don't know how to lift a link from the page but clicking on the title takes you here:

http://www.zeemaps.com

Hope this helps smiley - smiley

Map sites

Post 4

Orcus

I use a lot of mapping websites for planning cycling routes - they do have such functionality but people tend to be paranoid these days as it has been known for people to get burgled while they're out as crooks are known to scan these and spot (a) when people are out and about and (b) know that - ooh -look that pin locates a place where there's some nice thievable stuff.

Privacy setting are hence a big thing and tend to blur out to a couple of km where people are located - if they want to tell you at all.

Maps like (iirc) Clive the Flying Ostrich created all those years ago are unfortunately born of a more naive age of t'internet I expect.

Of course with everybody having a smartphone now you could always get them into your contacts and you can stalk them good and proper smiley - winkeyesmiley - devil

Map sites

Post 5

bobstafford

There are 2 examples of ZEE MAPS on my PS if you want to check them out easy to use and plenty of room for notes on each place pin

MAP 1 - Roman Fleet Ports and Military Establishments In Britain and Northern France.

MAP 2 - Roman Fleet Ports and Establishments In Britain and Europe and North Africa. smiley - smiley

Map sites

Post 6

Bluebottle

I've used zeemaps through Futurelearn a few times.smiley - ok

<BB<

Map sites

Post 7

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I'll check those out when I'm more awakesmiley - ta

I was just going to have people put a pin at, say, the town/city/village center, or place to visit that's near them (yes, I know London, for example, is huge, and such vagueness may be too, well, vague, but I already know we're going to London anywaysmiley - winkeye ) smiley - eurekaActually, since my husband doesn't want to hire a car, placing a pin at the nearest train station would be great.

Map sites

Post 8

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

There's a graveyard for bruised potatoes. It's a site for sore eyes. smiley - tongueout

Map sites

Post 9

Mol - on the new tablet

smiley - erm Thanks for that, paulh.

Our nearest railway station is basically two planks in a field, and not that enticing as a destination in its own right. If you've a yearning to see actual Middle England, it fits the bill reasonably well. But it's not exactly Middle Earth.

So... I'll put my name down for a London meet-up.

Mol

Map sites

Post 10

Oo, Zee Maps is *nice*smiley - biggrin

And here's mine (totally not just putting it here so I don't lose the urlsmiley - whistle) https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2044852

Map sites

Post 11

bobstafford

Nice work
smiley - smiley

Map sites

Post 12

You can call me TC

What do the different coloured markers mean?

I see the names of places and stretches of water in German. Does everyone see it in their own language?

Map sites

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

On the original map, Green was for "sights" Amy wanted to see (the Tower of London and Kew Gardens) while Red was for the location of researchers (the Zens). Since then, people seem to have added themselves in all sorts of different colours, so there no longer appears to be a scheme.

I see the names of the seas etc in English.

Map sites

Post 14

There isn't really a color scheme (I certainly didn't tell anyone what colors to use for anything), except any definite places I post, I will keep green. As admin, I have the power to change markers, so I may change the color if/when decisions are made. Or not--it's kind of pretty with different colors... And yep, I see everything in English, too. Though there is a reason the one marker is a flower instead of a circle-with-a-tail--it's got a website attached to itsmiley - whistle

Map sites

Post 15

Superfrenchie

Yep, the map's in French here. smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post